Author Topic: USDA Can No Longer Hide How Much Money Stores Make From Food Stamps  (Read 1112 times)

Offline mountaineer

The news is a few weeks old, but the reasons I post this are: 1) Hadn't seen any mention of it; and 2) Our telephone number used to belong to a produce market in our town. We're always getting calls for them. If you look them up on the internet, you see what is now our phone number - and has been for 7 years. So last night we got a call from the USDA telling us that, due to a court order, they're going to have to release info on how much money "our store" made from SNAP.  :laugh:
USDA Can No Longer Hide How Much Money Stores Make From Food Stamps
December 1, 2016 2:16 pm EST By Chris Morran

All across America, families use benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP — formerly, and colloquially, known as the Food Stamp program) to buy food, but participation in SNAP varies from store to store, and the federal regulator that oversees the program has denied requests to turn over data on retailer-specific use of SNAP benefits. However, yesterday a federal court ruled that the government can no longer shield this information from public view.

The ruling [PDF] comes out of a long-running legal dispute between South Dakota’s Argus Leader newspaper and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

In 2011, Argus staff filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the USDA, seeking — among other SNAP-related information — data on how much revenue certain retailers had made from SNAP benefits. The USDA denied that request, citing a number of FOIA exemptions that prevent certain information from being disclosed to the public.

And so the Argus folks sued the USDA in 2012. After various court rulings, appeals, and more rulings, the question ultimately came down to one particular FOIA exemption: Exemption #4, which prohibits the government from disclosing “trade secrets and commercial or financial information obtained from a person [that is] privileged or confidential.”

For example, the FCC saw all sorts of financial and contract-related information when it reviewed the failed merger of Time Warner Cable and Comcast, but you can’t get that data through a FOIA request.

The USDA and its witnesses told the court during a May 2016 bench trial that release store-specific SNAP revenue data would cause competitive harm to these businesses by allowing their competitors to see information that is not otherwise publicly available.

The testimony given by the industry painted a confusing portrait of the possible impact of revealing SNAP data.

A lawyer for Sears Holding Corp., which owns Kmart, testified that owners of leased Kmart locations might not renew the stores’ leases if they found out about high levels of SNAP revenue. But then the president and CEO of the National Grocers Association testified that if a supermarket were found to be making a lot of money from SNAP, competitors would swoop in to take advantage.

That last argument from the NGA appears to contradict what we’ve already seen: That a high number of SNAP users is decidedly not bringing competition to urban food deserts.  ...

The judge also took issue with the NGA president’s unsubstantiated assertion that high SNAP use would be a lure to competition, noting that “Another equally compelling conclusion is that SNAP sales will have no or little effect on a store’s decision to expand into new sites.”

In short, said the judge, there is no real competitive advantage to be gained from disclosing SNAP use data. ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

Re: USDA Can No Longer Hide How Much Money Stores Make From Food Stamps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:14:48 pm »
Everyone makes money from government programs...except the taxpayers who pay for them.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
A SNAP dollar is still a dollar. The profit margin is probably the same and taxes on any profit have already been paid. I'm not sure what the point of releasing the info is except for those wanting to move to a low-SNAP area.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 07:33:11 pm »

I see the 'food desert" myth hasn't died yet

Offline rodamala

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:05:39 pm »
A SNAP dollar is still a dollar. The profit margin is probably the same and taxes on any profit have already been paid. I'm not sure what the point of releasing the info is except for those wanting to move to a low-SNAP area.

It seems like 60 to 70 percent of people in line in front of me at WalMart, any convenience store, or the grocery store are SNAP card holders.

I would like to know what the numbers really are.  I would also like to see all government spending pulled out of GDP for a true economic indicator metric.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:07:57 pm »
I would like to know what the numbers really are.  I would also like to see all government spending pulled out of GDP for a true economic indicator metric.

Me too. Like when people discuss school spending being "cut", I'd like to see what is being spent annually plus a chart showing it minus teacher-admin pay and benefits.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:38 am »
Indeed. What a joke.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 03:38:30 am »
The "food desert" myth is alive and very well in virtually every locality in the U.S. that has the ..uh..."right" demographics.  The tv channel in my old hometown of La Crosse, Wis. recently ran a series about how La Crosse is, you guessed it, a "food desert."
They produced a lot of anecdotal stories and some dodgy stats to try to prove their point. But the fact is nobody in La Crosse is starving or hungry because they lack access to grocery stores.  There is a regular-sized grocery store near downtown La Crosse, and there are convenience stores that sell a small selection of nutritious food near the downtown urban areas where many black people live.  And there are buses within a short walking distance that can transport urban people from place to place including to and from regular-sized grocery stores.
But now, since there is a growing black population in La Crosse, certain people are trying to prove that some people are being oppressed and possibly starved to  death because there isn't a grocery story one block from where they live or close by.
The thing is 30 years ago when there was virtually no black people in La Crosse (still only 2% of the population) there were no stories about food deserts even though the grocery stores weren't any closer than they are now. Nobody had any problem accessing grocery stores.
But certain people..okay, raging liberals, are trying to prove some sort of racism exists because many of the black people are living in parts of the city that do not have grocery stores within a few blocks of where they live.
My wife and I live five miles from the closest grocery store. Are there going to be stories about people who live outside urban areas like we do as living in "food deserts"? I think not. Most of the people in the rural areas around La Crosse are white. And as we know white people can't be oppressed....only black or brown people can be oppressed.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:42:24 am by goatprairie »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 02:07:31 pm »
They call it a food desert because people who live there choose to use SNAP to purchase less nutritious foods than broccoli even when broccoli is  available in those stores in which they use their SNAP. As you said, no one is starving. They eat. They eat what they want, but the gubmint (Hi, Moochelle) isn't content with that.

We live outside a small town and have to drive 7 miles to buy groceries. Oh, the humanity!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 04:50:38 pm »
They call it a food desert because people who live there choose to use SNAP to purchase less nutritious foods than broccoli even when broccoli is  available in those stores in which they use their SNAP. As you said, no one is starving. They eat. They eat what they want, but the gubmint (Hi, Moochelle) isn't content with that.

We live outside a small town and have to drive 7 miles to buy groceries. Oh, the humanity!
Along with the "food desert" myth being pushed by leftists is the "feed the hungry" programs now heavily pushed by the same culprits.
The leftists have a motive behind both lying initiatives....they are trying to prove that capitalist America just can't feed its people under the present system.  "Why, we MUST!!! make fundamental changes to the system" they shriek.
My  question to the people yelling and screaming about starving Americans lacking access to food is:
WHERE ARE THE HUNGRY AND STARVING PEOPLE!!!!  All I see around me are many fat, bloated bodies who could afford to skip a few meals. And even the gov. admits that the poorest third of Americans are the fattest.
But the "feed the hungry" and the stories about "food deserts" multiply faster than flies at a garbage dump. I really would like to know where all the hungry people are. When I grew up fifty years ago food was more expensive adjusted for inflation, but there were no "feed the hungry/starving" programs going around. No stories about food pantries and kids needing to get food at schools to avoid starving to death. Where are these supposedly starving kids families?  What kind of parents would allow schools to be the primary sources of feeding their children? It's all a con.