Author Topic: Video shows police cornering mentally ill man and fatally shooting him: 'This was an execution'  (Read 500 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Video shows police cornering mentally ill man and fatally shooting him: 'This was an execution'

By Matt Hamilton and Richard Winton Contact Reporters

Graphic surveillance video released Wednesday shows a throng of Fontana police officers surrounding a legally blind and mentally ill man in a convenience store before an officer opens fire, killing him.

The muted video of the Nov. 22, 2015, incident shows multiple police officers cornering James Hall, 47, in the back of a Chevron gas station mini-mart, where police and the man engage in a brief standoff.

Hall appears to shift his weight between two counters near a soda fountain just before a police officer shoots and he collapses to the tiled floor.

The grainy surveillance images appear to partly contradict the initial account of the Fontana Police Department, which described Hall as armed with a knife and advancing on officers before police shot him dead.

Continued: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fontana-police-video-20170118-story.html

I had problems watching it above, the full video is here as well:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/video-shows-police-fatally-shoot-mentally-ill-blind-man-article-1.2950183

Reportedly, legally blind too and I think that is important to remember. This is all just released but it occurred in November, 2015.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:50:27 pm by TomSea »

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
While I normally support officers, my review of the tape shows that no threating motions were being made, the person was obviously unstable, less than lethal options were available (dog, taser, baton).  It would be hard for me to side with the cops in a court of law  ESPECIALLY if as the article insinuates, the official police report appears to be a cover up.