Author Topic: Teary farewells as Obama aides pack up, make way for Trump  (Read 952 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Teary farewells as Obama aides pack up, make way for Trump
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:26:30 am »
Teary farewells as Obama aides pack up, make way for Trump
AP, Jan 17, 2017, JOSH LEDERMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — They line up near the Oval Office, down the hallway toward the Cabinet Room, with their spouses and young kids in tow. When it's their turn, the White House staffers enter for a few private moments with President Barack Obama, a photo and a farewell hug from the boss.

There's a mass exodus underway this week at the White House, as Obama and his staff pack up their offices and turn in their BlackBerrys. For some who joined Obama's team right out of college, it's the end of the only professional experience they've ever known.

The finals days of any president's administration are always bittersweet and heavy on nostalgia, as officials face the transition back to being "civilians" who will no longer have their hands on the nation's levers of power. There is added sadness for Obama staffers who, by and large, are horrified by the incoming administration of President-elect Donald Trump.

"You're always aware that it's a special privilege to work there and not something to take for granted," said Nate Lowentheil, who worked on Obama's National Economic Council for the last three years. "It's particularly hard knowing the next wave of people coming are going to be working to reverse the things you were working to advance until your very last hour."

As White House press secretary Josh Earnest emerged in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room on Tuesday to give his final press briefing — his 354th as press secretary, Earnest said — there were tears on the faces of some of his deputies. In the back of the room, current and former Obama staffers gathered to witness his last round of jousting with reporters.

"I'm going to miss it," Earnest said. "It will take some getting used to seeing somebody else standing up here doing it."

"Or not," he added, in a nod to the prospect that Trump's team may make changes to the daily briefing.

In between closing out final projects and typing up reports on the work they've done, White House staffers are packing away their knickknacks, coffeemakers and photos. The boxes stack up in offices already vacated by staffers who have departed over the past few weeks.

By Thursday night, all must be gone to make way for Trump's team.

More: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cff5b933936b425e8fe89f0ffda94931/obama-staff-packing-heading-out-ahead-trumps-arrival

Offline corbe

Re: Teary farewells as Obama aides pack up, make way for Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:07 am »
   For me at least, Tears of Joy will soon be replaced by Tears of Sorrow, even Pataki would have beat hellary, needless to say I'll be crying for awhile and with you there to help me, I probably will-Jethero Tull.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 01:48:10 am »
Second worse thing for them... was the end of Pumpkin Spike Latte season.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:48:36 am by rodamala »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:54:34 am »
We've never seen silly maudlin stories like this at the end of any other president's term, have we?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:20:41 am »
Whatever, just pack your s--t and GTFO.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:47 am »
   For me at least, Tears of Joy will soon be replaced by Tears of Sorrow, even Pataki would have beat hellary....

LOL. Yeah right.

That idiot couldn't beat Grahamnesty in the Primaries which makes him a first class loser.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:31:35 am »
I can't resist:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:34:00 am »
For some who joined Obama's team right out of college, it's the end of the only professional experience they've ever known.

That should be a real boost on their resumes....

2004-08: Wesleyan University
                   Major in Comparative Pottery Studies; Minor in Alternative Recreational Feminism

2008-Present: Destroying America

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:38:33 am »
Whatever, just pack your s--t and GTFO.

As @Bigun  likes to say.....

AMEN!  AMEN!   & AMEN!!

:beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 04:21:35 am »
Teary farewell is a hottie, but I preferred Nicole de Boer as Dax.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.