Author Topic: Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers  (Read 1771 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers
By Paul Bedard (@SecretsBedard) • 1/17/17 9:18 AM

Making good on a promise to slash government, President-elect Trump has asked his incoming team to pursue spending and staffing cuts.

Insiders said that the spending reductions in some departments could go as high as 10 percent and staff cuts to 20 percent, numbers that would rock Washington if he follows through.

At least two so-called "landing teams" in Cabinet agencies have relayed the call for cuts as part of their marching orders to shrink the flab in government.

The cuts would target discretionary spending, not mandated programs such as Medicare or Social Security, the sources said.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/boom-trump-eyes-10-spending-cuts-20-slash-of-federal-workers/article/2612037
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:28:58 pm »
Trump said absolutely nothing about cutting the size of government during the primaries.

If he does this I will happily eat an entire crow. Feathers and all.

As long as the cuts don't come from the US Border Patrol or military.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:29:47 pm by skeeter »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:43:09 pm »
Question is which federal employees will he cut?

I mean in all honesty I'm a federal employee.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »
Question is which federal employees will he cut?

I mean in all honesty I'm a federal employee.

So am I...DoD just bumped up (from $25K to $40K) their buyout program. It shouldn't be that difficult, as over 1/3 of the federal workforce is over 55.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:47:03 pm »
I think he will run into laws that make it difficult to fire Federal government employees. However, he may be able to cut a portion of that via attrition (don't hire replacements when people quit or retire).

I think that is how he will start.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 04:51:32 pm »
Anyone else tired of reading articles that use "Boom" at the beginning of the title? What is the point of it? It isn't even a thing the way it's used. It's a sound.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »
I think he will run into laws that make it difficult to fire Federal government employees. However, he may be able to cut a portion of that via attrition (don't hire replacements when people quit or retire).

No offense to any GS folks here...however...

I say put green suits back into those positions where they used to be and the civilians were put when Rumsfeld had his brilliant "idea".

You'd save money and improve efficiency.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »
Anyone else tired of reading articles that use "Boom" at the beginning of the title? What is the point of it? It isn't even a thing the way it's used. It's a sound.

It's a really crappy journalistic tactic.  It's appealing to a very narrow specific group.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 04:54:34 pm »
10% spending cuts before or after his $1 Trillion dollar infrastructure spending plan (which is about 1/4th of the annual federal budget)? AKA, increase the budget by 25% then decrease that by 10%?

That's the kind of math Obama used when he claimed to reduce the deficit his second year.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »
10% spending cuts before or after his $1 Trillion dollar infrastructure spending plan (which is about 1/4th of the annual federal budget)? AKA, increase the budget by 25% then decrease that by 10%?

That's the kind of math Obama used when he claimed to reduce the deficit his second year.

So the title of the article should be "BOMB" instead of "BOOM".

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:32 pm »
I think he will run into laws that make it difficult to fire Federal government employees.
Do you mean the laws that are passed by Congress?  With some type of measure of support by the GOP led Congress, this would not be a Trump-issue but a Congressional issue.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:07:11 pm »

The keyword is "fire".  Layoffs due to workforce reduction probably won't be an issue.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:16:56 pm »
He could start by slashing the jobs of everyone that Obama installed since the election...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »
BANG! I'm with you on that one, kind of feels like I'm going to read a Batman comic when I see it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers

By Paul Bedard • 1/17/17 9:18 AM

Making good on a promise to slash government, President-elect Trump has asked his incoming team to pursue spending and staffing cuts.

Insiders said that the spending reductions in some departments could go as high as 10 percent and staff cuts to 20 percent, numbers that would rock Washington if he follows through.

At least two so-called "landing teams" in Cabinet agencies have relayed the call for cuts as part of their marching orders to shrink the flab in government.

The cuts would target discretionary spending, not mandated programs such as Medicare or Social Security, the sources said.

The spending reductions are expected to be used to help pay for Trump's plan to boost the Pentagon's budget, tax cuts and some pet projects, potentially including the anti-immigration wall on the nation's southern border.

The teams also are looking at staffing cuts over four years through attrition, a hiring freeze and reorganization.

The plan is winning cheers in conservative, anti-tax and anti-spending corners in Washington that have long sought massive cuts in the bureaucracy.  .  .  .

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/boom-trump-eyes-10-spending-cuts-20-slash-of-federal-workers/article/2612037

I would be in favor of cutting Medicare and Social Security as well.  Ten percent is next to nothing compared to all the waste and corruption that is going on.  But at least Trump is moving in the right direction.  If he had actually campaigned on this, he might have gotten more Conservative votes.

If we can cut government spending by 10% per year for four years, we might be able to balance the budget.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:27 pm »
This would be fantastic!  If he can pull this off and continue it, in spite of the Paul Ryans in Congress, that would be great.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 07:52:27 pm »
BANG! I'm with you on that one, kind of feels like I'm going to read a Batman comic when I see it.

POW!!Please, make it stop.

:tongue2:
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 08:01:38 pm »
He could start by slashing the jobs of everyone that Obama installed since the election...

Ha!!   I thought of that too...but then....who thinks they didn't fudge the start dates in Human Resources...or whatever they call it in government.

But that 20% is going to be comprised of all government workers that are dyed in the wool RATS.

Plus....hoping that it entails an entire Department/Agency.

Bada Bing...Bada Bang...Bada Boom.!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 08:03:27 pm »
/snicker

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 08:09:30 pm »
Wonder if he actually means CUT or if he is speaking Washington already!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HonestJohn

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 10:00:48 pm »
Considering the sequester mandated 10% cuts every year for ten years...

...all he's really proposing is to let the sequester play out for one year.

Unless this is on top of the sequester?