Author Topic: Mazda reportedly introducing sparkless gas engine in 2018  (Read 1642 times)

Offline thackney

Mazda reportedly introducing sparkless gas engine in 2018
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:07:48 pm »
Mazda reportedly introducing sparkless gas engine in 2018
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/16/mazda-reportedly-introducing-sparkless-gas-engine-in-2018.html

...The automaker is reportedly set to introduce the first modern gasoline automobile engine that works more like a diesel, using compression to ignite its fuel mixture, rather than an electronic spark.

The technology is known as Homogenous Charge Combustion Ignition (HCCI,) and it could deliver a 30 percent improvement in fuel economy, according to Nikkei. The lean-running motors also deliver better emissions performance than conventional gasoline engines.

Several automakers and engineering outfits have been working on HCCI in recent years, but issues with cold starting and the precise timing of the combustion make it a difficult technology to engineer. One solution has been the incorporation of part-time spark plugs that kick in at certain temperatures or engine loads. Mazda hasn’t publically revealed its plans, or exactly how its version works....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Mazda reportedly introducing sparkless gas engine in 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »
I don't want to knock it without seeing more details, but I'm afraid this plan might backfire.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:55:30 pm »
I don't want to knock it without seeing more details, but I'm afraid this plan might backfire.

Shame on you.   **nononono*

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:56:45 pm »

Well played.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:59:24 pm »

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »

:facepalm2:

Good one!!!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:06:53 pm »
Shame on you.   **nononono*
My timing was perfect.  ****drummer
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour