Author Topic: Mexico will 'immediately' respond to any U.S. border tax: minister  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Mexico will 'immediately' respond to any U.S. border tax: minister

Reuters January 13, 2017

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico must be ready to respond immediately with its own tax measures if the incoming administration of President-elect Donald Trump imposes a border tax, the economy minister said on Friday, warning such protectionism may trigger a global recession.
Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, has promised a "major border tax" on companies that shift jobs outside the United States, and such a measure could hobble Mexico's exports to its top trading partner.
"It is clear we need to be prepared to immediately neutralize the impact of such a measure," Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said in an interview on Mexican television.
"And it is very clear how - take a fiscal action that clearly neutralizes it," he said.

-End excerpt

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-immediately-respond-us-border-tax-minister-153823518.html
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online DB

Re: Mexico will 'immediately' respond to any U.S. border tax: minister
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:01 am »
What could go wrong...

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:56:34 am »
What could go wrong...

One thing to say you will do these things easily.  Another to actually see it done.  Like the Wall and every other promise.  He may have the right people to accomplish these things.  Time will tell.  But not without opposition.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »
Mexico can do the China game.

Meticulous inspections of US products entering Mexico... and thorough checks of all goods being shipped to the US from American owned factories.  Plus, they could do unannounced shutdowns of the border checkpoints, as well.

Searching for drugs and smuggling tunnels at the checkpoints, you see.  And they need to see if the goods being shipping to the US actually meet US standards.  Plus, is the paperwork correct and with no mistakes?

---

And that's not even starting with reciprocal taxs/tariffs.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:53:37 pm »
Fine, I would love to see more made in the USA products rather than made in Mexico.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »

Meticulous inspections of US products entering Mexico... and thorough checks of all goods being shipped to the US from American owned factories.  Plus, they could do unannounced shutdowns of the border checkpoints, as well.

Searching for drugs and smuggling tunnels at the checkpoints, you see.  And they need to see if the goods being shipping to the US actually meet US standards.  Plus, is the paperwork correct and with no mistakes?

---

@HonestJohn

So?   Any such action would hurt Mexico far more.  Mexico has been taking advantage of us for many years.  It's past time to even things up.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:00:57 pm »
What could go wrong...
@DB

Trump seems to think he can do whatever he wants with countries and no country will respond to it, just accept it because HE is the one who did it.  Can you say "King of the World?"

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
@HonestJohn

So?   Any such action would hurt Mexico far more.  Mexico has been taking advantage of us for many years.  It's past time to even things up.

Would it?

Those aren't tariffs or taxes.  All the goods are still being sent by private companies, who are then paid.  The slowdowns are much like "Acts of G-d", out of the control of business.  So the payer will eat the cost of delay, not the seller.

And since the goods are delivered (eventually), the buyers cannot claim breach of contract to break any contracts on the books.

---

China wouldn't play games that hurt their own economy, which is why they use these tools to express displeasure.  And if Trump wants to play around with the one-China policy regarding Taiwan, xpect to see just this coming our way from them.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »
Would it?

Those aren't tariffs or taxes.  All the goods are still being sent by private companies, who are then paid.  The slowdowns are much like "Acts of G-d", out of the control of business.  So the payer will eat the cost of delay, not the seller.

And since the goods are delivered (eventually), the buyers cannot claim breach of contract to break any contracts on the books.

---

China wouldn't play games that hurt their own economy, which is why they use these tools to express displeasure.  And if Trump wants to play around with the one-China policy regarding Taiwan, xpect to see just this coming our way from them.

@HonestJohn

We need to stop negotiating from fear.  We've given away our leadership and sit in fear they might not take our money any more.

Mexico is a shit hole run by corrupt who care nothing for their own.   They've used us as a dumping ground and robbed us blind.

There is middle ground between bending over and taking it up the rear and a trade war.

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 07:18:55 pm »
@DB

Trump seems to think he can do whatever he wants with countries and no country will respond to it, just accept it because HE is the one who did it.  Can you say "King of the World?"

It sure seems like that. We will see. I think he's more open to negotiating than most of us would like.

In the long run Mexico will find a way to work with Pres. Trump. Once the border starts to be secured Mexico is going to have to confront how little they've done to improve the quality of life and opportunities for their citizens. One of the biggest things holding back Mexico's development is the millions of dollars that get sent back to their citizens from illegals living in the USA. Mexico will make a deal on trade and the cost of the wall in order to keep the money flowing. If they don't POTUS Trump can cut off the funds that are wired every month.

POTUS Trump may be a low class jerk, but he's not dumb and he does know how to get deals done.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 07:27:31 pm »
@HonestJohn

We need to stop negotiating from fear.  We've given away our leadership and sit in fear they might not take our money any more.

Mexico is a shit hole run by corrupt who care nothing for their own.   They've used us as a dumping ground and robbed us blind.

There is middle ground between bending over and taking it up the rear and a trade war.

Everything Trump's campaigned on with regards to Mexico has been based on fear.  Fear of Mexican immigrants and factories are just two aspects of it.

He'd have us retreat from the world and build a wall around our nation, turning it into a Festung Amerika.  Have us peer over the ramparts in mortal terror of 'dem furrieners!'

---

I'd point out that the term 'globalist' is an epithet to Trump's LOLLIPOPs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:28:47 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 07:40:09 pm »
Everything Trump's campaigned on with regards to Mexico has been based on fear.  Fear of Mexican immigrants and factories are just two aspects of it.

He'd have us retreat from the world and build a wall around our nation, turning it into a Festung Amerika.  Have us peer over the ramparts in mortal terror of 'dem furrieners!'

---

I disagree. I think you might be assuming that Trump is fearful of illegals in the same way as his supporters are who have been so decimated by the decline in manufacturing and blue collar jobs in this country. Trump has done deals all over the world. I think what Trump did was recognize that a big part of the country has been badly hurt by globalism as it has grown under the guidance of people who don't even know anyone who drives a pickup truck. Trump isn't going to end trade. He understands it well enough that he's going to level the field instead of having it so biased against us.

So far I've been very impressed by who he's brought in to his cabinet. I think we will get a lot of "fake news" telling us things are falling apart, but the people who will be running things are very accomplished and I think they will do a good job.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 07:43:49 pm »
So if they get mad enough, they might have to call their people home. 
 :whistle:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

---

Mexico has always been more of an adversary to the US. I'd like to see a bit more distance between us.

In terms of our respective societies by & large it's pretty much a one way relationship anyway.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:01:15 pm by skeeter »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 08:02:50 pm »

---

@HonestJohn
Oh so you mean that millions of people haven't come into our country.  Taking our jobs and using govt services tax free.   Sending a significant amount of money back to their family in Mexico.  So much money that it's a major part of Mexico gdp.

That some of those people don't commit crimes here.  That some aren't already criminals before coming here.

That Mexico isn't bribing our govt officials to send money their way.   People like Carlos slim who makes the Obama phone.

Of course all this stuff is happening.  Saying it's fear to not like the outcome is a ridiculous statement.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:22:40 pm by driftdiver »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »
About the only thing they could do that would hurt us is to impose a tariff on all the weed and coke they ship to this country every year.

Either that or Carlos I'm will cancel the WH subscription to the NYT and up what he charges the Government for Obama phones (Tracphone)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:34:12 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:46 pm »
About the only thing they could do that would hurt us is to impose a tariff on all the weed and coke they ship to this country every year.

Either that or Carlos I'm will cancel the WH subscription to the NYT and up what he charges the Government for Obama phones (Tracphone)

Prohibitive counter-tariffs on U.S.exports to Mexico.  Shutdown and/or seizure of American manufacturing assets in Mexico, or imposition of a prohibitive tax on those assets, to start with.  Cessation or taxation of all oil exports to the U.S. (for 2015, about 8% of total U.S. oil imports came from Mexico - it's one of the top five exporters to the U.S.).

Trump just seems to be stuck on stupid when it comes to trade and the U.S.' valuable trading partners.  What's next, a trade war with Canada?  Canadians overstay their U.S. visas at almost twice the rate that Mexicans do.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 08:53:44 pm »
Prohibitive counter-tariffs on U.S.exports to Mexico.  Shutdown and/or seizure of American manufacturing assets in Mexico, or imposition of a prohibitive tax on those assets, to start with.  Cessation or taxation of all oil exports to the U.S. (for 2015, about 8% of total U.S. oil imports came from Mexico - it's one of the top five exporters to the U.S.).

Trump just seems to be stuck on stupid when it comes to trade and the U.S.' valuable trading partners.  What's next, a trade war with Canada?  Canadians overstay their U.S. visas at almost twice the rate that Mexicans do.

I agree completely O.

My speculations were with my tongue very firmly planted in my cheek.

I guess if he really wanted to hurt Mexico...or recoup some money...he couply impose a really high sales tax on all money wired to Mexico viw Western Union.

IIRC the one of the biggest sources of revenue for people in Mexico is their illegal family members wiring $$$$ back home.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 09:19:02 pm »
I agree completely O.

My speculations were with my tongue very firmly planted in my cheek.

I guess if he really wanted to hurt Mexico...or recoup some money...he couply impose a really high sales tax on all money wired to Mexico viw Western Union.

IIRC the one of the biggest sources of revenue for people in Mexico is their illegal family members wiring $$$$ back home.

@txradioguy

I've read that it's the second largest item in their gdp.    First is oil I believe.   Legal items anyway.  Obviously drugs are not endorsed by the Mexican govt, wink wink.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 10:32:39 pm »

Then we start drilling off the coast to make up for oil coming from Mexico.  It is no wonder Obama was desperate to stop that.  I am all for leveling the trade so that it is fair.  Our companies should not feel that it pays to pack up and move south of the border.  We are loosing our jobs here to Latina/Hispanic workers.  Whether they are here illegal or on work visa.  Then we are loosing the jobs as they actually pack up manufacturing and physically move there.  Many of those people who come here believe that they are superior workers that are desired above American workers.  I know I work in manufacturing.  They think they deserve the jobs over Americans and they work to have all their friends and family to take our jobs.  They are not poor people.  Some have assets in Mexico like houses even but come here to make more money to send home.  We pay for free lunches in our schools, and extra languish education for Spanish speaking illegals.  They get all the social programs and many times work under the table so they can collect free health.  Cash and food services.  We are bleeding from both ends. 

Do I blame them?  No.  I blame our government and our sanctuary cities and the pandering to put Americans out of work.

So yes I support the stop of illegal immigration.  Putting caps on the bloated H1-B program (all foreign workers).  And leveling the trade with appropriate tariffs and taxes to make corporations desire to stay here and employ Americans.

Trump did pick I think it was economic Advisor? that is a Trade lawyer.  He seemed very smart and driven to get rid of the unfair trade that we have acquired through NAFTA.