Author Topic: Ringling Bros. circus to close 'The Greatest Show on Earth' after 146 years  (Read 2575 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Tribune News Services
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ringling-bros-circus-shutting-down-20170114-story.html

After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on "The Greatest Show on Earth." The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.

The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise . . .

More . . .

There goes another happy childhood memory---my parents used to take my younger brother and me to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum
& Bailey Circus at the old Madison Square Garden (8th Avenue) every other year, until my father's illness and death. We'd hop the subway
to get there. Sweet times.

The old Garden, for those who don't remember or never knew . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Lando Lincoln

I feel genuine sadness over this news.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline montanajoe

Absolutely...words fail me.....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Truly. Think about it - every child born since the Civil War, and everyone alive today, has been able to see a Ringling Bros circus as a part of their childhood.  I can think of baseball as being the other thing culturally in America to compare with.

I loved the elephants. They'd let you ride them when I was a kid, and I'd feed them peanuts. It just fascinated me that you could just walk up and pet/ride one as if it were an everyday thing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My grandfather, born 1881 in Dakota Territory, worked in Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show. At the peak, Cody was the most widely known person alive. Big shows were a bg deal.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

I suspect the animal rights people were the biggest factor, although I could see declining attendance as one of the causes too.  Years ago, before television and now all sorts of other electronic devices, entertainment was limited, so these shows would draw a huge audience.  I went once as part of a school field trip.  My parents couldn't afford to takr us kids themselves, but the school obtained tickets through donations.  I remember being completely enthralled with the high wire acts.  But now with so many other entertainment alternatives available, I can see younger generations never seeing a circus in their lifetimes.  It's too bad.  So many things from my childhood are disappearing.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I suspect the animal rights people were the biggest factor, although I could see declining attendance as one of the causes too.  Years ago, before television and now all sorts of other electronic devices, entertainment was limited, so these shows would draw a huge audience.  I went once as part of a school field trip.  My parents couldn't afford to takr us kids themselves, but the school obtained tickets through donations.  I remember being completely enthralled with the high wire acts.  But now with so many other entertainment alternatives available, I can see younger generations never seeing a circus in their lifetimes.  It's too bad.  So many things from my childhood are disappearing.

When I was a small boy tickets to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus were dirt cheap at
the old Madison Square Garden. I could be wrong, but I suspect the reason my parents took us kids
every other year was to be absolutely sure we'd see something a little different each time we went.
If I remember right, my younger brother loved the animal acts most while I loved the high wire people
and the clowns. (One year, the clowns had a routine where the tiniest version of some big bomb of a
car would ride around the three rings shooting off all kinds of effects, then park at center ring and,
one after the other, you'd see the full-size clowns, about five or six of them, emerging from this toy
of a car. I figured out in due course how they pulled it off---talk about sleight of body!---but it was
funny as hell anyway.)

Trivia: Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus's most famous clown: Emmett Kelly, Sr. His
"Weary Willie" hobo character became a representation of a baseball team---when New York sports
cartoonist Willard Mullin, hopping a cab to Ebbets Field, heard his driver ask something like, "How
did those bums do yesterday," or some such thing, but the "bum" reference triggered Mullin. His
next cartoon depicting the story of a Dodger game featured a slightly exaggerated caricature of
Kelly's character and the Brooklyn Bum was born. Mullin used the image to depict the Dodgers for
the rest of his career, even after the team moved to Los Angeles.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sad to see the circus go. Guess I can't run off and join now.

I remember my parents taking me to the Ringling Brothers Circus, back in the original Madison Square Garden in the 1950'a (as pictured above), not the new one built over Penn Station (where I worked many years).

I got to run one of the circus trains once. Got a call to take light engines to Old Saybrook (CT), where we picked up the train that had been brought down from the Providence area by the Providence & Worcester.

Ran it west back to the edge of New Haven, then creeped along through the Cedar Hill freight yard to reach the Hartford/Springfield line, heading north. Took it up just north of Hartford Station, then backed the whole thing off on a siding there a mile or two back southward.

I remember it as being L-O-N-G, many cars with trailers, animals, many coaches/sleepers. It didn't brake well, as I recall -- not like a passenger train, not like a freight train, had to be careful. One had to be especially careful on a backup move, to keep the slack from running out with all the folks/animals on board.

I may not have performed -in- the circus, but I did some performin' with the engine to "get them there", once.

That was 'way back around 1984. Just one more job for a young engineman!

One of the trains underway out west, 2008:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Glad that I got to see them in the 80's. Disappointed I won't be able to take my grandson to their show.

IMHO they sealed their fate when they retired the elephants.

I expect the same fate for Sea World once they take away the Killer Whale shows for good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:26:10 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline kidd

So what is Joe Biden going to do for a job, now?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I wonder how this affects the Barnum and Bailey Clown College at FSU?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:28:54 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline dfwgator

You mean I can't call them "Clown U" anymore?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You mean I can't call them "Clown U" anymore?

LOL nah they are Clown U for more than their association with Barnum.

Silver Pines

I'm going to be the dissenter on the thread and admit that this news doesn't sadden me.  While I'm sorry that people will be out of work, as an animal lover (not animal rights person), it always made me slightly ill to see the animals cooped up on trains and forced to perform tricks.  Tigers being made to jump through hoops of fire when animals naturally fear fire?  Just no. 

Online andy58-in-nh

I'm sure there will be a lot of sad faces.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'm sure there will be a lot of sad faces.

:silly:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm going to be the dissenter on the thread and admit that this news doesn't sadden me.  While I'm sorry that people will be out of work, as an animal lover (not animal rights person), it always made me slightly ill to see the animals cooped up on trains and forced to perform tricks.  Tigers being made to jump through hoops of fire when animals naturally fear fire?  Just no.

Being raised rural, I was taught that animals are for food, clothing, work, or gotten rid of as a destructive nuisance to farm or pantry. Beyond that, leave them be.

Have to admit that as the years go by, as much as I like the animals at zoos and circuses, it goes against what I was taught and believe animals are to be used for. I just don't need them cooped up for my entertainment. And if the kids aren't into them as much anymore, then let the market decide.
The Republic is lost.

Silver Pines

Being raised rural, I was taught that animals are for food, clothing, work, or gotten rid of as a destructive nuisance to farm or pantry. Beyond that, leave them be.

Have to admit that as the years go by, as much as I like the animals at zoos and circuses, it goes against what I was taught and believe animals are to be used for. I just don't need them cooped up for my entertainment. And if the kids aren't into them as much anymore, then let the market decide.

@Free Vulcan

That's fair, and I agree.

Offline montanajoe

Upon reflection the loss I feel is the connection the circus brought between the city and the country, the shared experience of the Circus that every kid had whether they lived in the burroughs of NYC or in a mountain valley in Montana. In my view the decline of America stems, in part, from the fact that city and country folk no longer have much, if anything in common. The circus was part of the social and cultural  glue that once bound this nation together.

I often reflect on the fact that their are so many things (winning WW2, putting a man on the moon etc) that would be almost impossible today due in part to the fact that we no longer have one nation under God...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:03:17 am by montanajoe »