Author Topic: Trump’s Celebrity-Free Inauguration Is Great for America  (Read 414 times)

Offline endicom

Trump’s Celebrity-Free Inauguration Is Great for America
« on: January 15, 2017, 01:50:03 pm »
National Review
Charlie Peters
Jan. 14, 2017

A modest inauguration is much more in keeping with our democratic form of government.

As a Briton born after 1953, I have yet to witness a royal coronation at Westminster Abbey. However, every four years our American cousins treat us to a spectacular, regal, and full-blown monarchical affair as the president of the United States takes his inauguration oath. With parades, concerts, and lavish luncheons, the inauguration has become an event fit for a king, not the president of a republic.

But ironically, the celebrity-cum-president Donald Trump is likely to have an inauguration with a very modest celebrity influence. America’s famous names aren’t fans of Trump, with a multitude of reality-TV stars, Hollywood favorites, and Broadway actors expressing their dislike for the president-elect and his administration.

More... http://www.nationalreview.com/article/443855/trump-inauguration-celebrities-absent

Dubya spent $2 billion on transportation?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Trump’s Celebrity-Free Inauguration Is Great for America
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »
Meh - I agree with my esteemed compatriot here. It is rather a relief to have something more low key than usual - and certainly NOT what I expected from the dude that gold plates his toilet.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »
Meh - I agree with my esteemed compatriot here. It is rather a relief to have something more low key than usual - and certainly NOT what I expected from the dude that gold plates his toilet.  :tongue2:

I think Trump's anxious to get to work--and if he could, he's take the oath and then sit down in the Oval Office and start cancelling Obama's executive orders.   ^-^

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:21:58 pm »

I've wished for a return to sobriety since JFK.