Author Topic: The drought is over in Northern California after up to 20 inches of rain and 12 feet of snow  (Read 690 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The drought is over in Northern California after up to 20 inches of rain and 12 feet of snow

By Jason Samenow  January 12 at 11:22 AM

Over the past week, storm after storm has pummeled central and northern California, denting if not erasing a multiyear drought.

The federal government’s U.S. Drought Monitor published Thursday morning declared that the northern third of the state is now entirely drought-free. Reservoirs are filled and streams are flush with water — at or near record flows.

“With more than a foot of precipitation falling on the Sierra Nevada (locally 20.7 inches at Strawberry Valley, CA), most major reservoirs were at or above its Jan. 10 historical average,” the Drought Monitor reported.

The amount of rain and snow so far this year is unsurpassed in historical records in the Northern Sierra, San Joaquin and Tulare basins. The Northern Sierra tallied 26 percent of its annual precipitation in the first 10 days of January alone.

snip

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/01/12/the-drought-is-over-in-northern-california-after-up-to-20-inches-of-rain-and-12-feet-of-snow/?utm_term=.9259939cb290
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sitting here in SoCal which hasn't had as big an impact, but poured this morning. (Towns have been on limited watering regulations for several years, and neighbors are replacing lawn with synthetic turf, or desert landscaping like Arizona style.)

I remember reporting for induction 48 years ago this month, long bus ride to Fort Ord, and then going through Basic Training in a rain season like this one--record breaking.

Fort Ord was located just north of Monterey, and has a fast-changing weather pattern. By that I mean it can rain, turn sunny, back to rain in a few hours.

When I was a kid, I stayed with my career Army officer Uncle while he was stationed at Fort Ord. We went deer hunting, at Hunter Liggett. It poured on us the entire weekend, he shot a deer, and we had venison for breakfast for the next week.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Just_Victor

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:21:52 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline skeeter

Sitting here in SoCal which hasn't had as big an impact, but poured this morning. (Towns have been on limited watering regulations for several years, and neighbors are replacing lawn with synthetic turf, or desert landscaping like Arizona style.)

I remember reporting for induction 48 years ago this month, long bus ride to Fort Ord, and then going through Basic Training in a rain season like this one--record breaking.

Fort Ord was located just north of Monterey, and has a fast-changing weather pattern. By that I mean it can rain, turn sunny, back to rain in a few hours.

It has been an epic weather year so far though. We couldn't get overcast to produce any precip for the past few years but it seems now every cloud is loaded with water.

When I was a kid, I stayed with my career Army officer Uncle while he was stationed at Fort Ord. We went deer hunting, at Hunter Liggett. It poured on us the entire weekend, he shot a deer, and we had venison for breakfast for the next week.

Not much remains of Ft Ord now, a few original buildings but mostly just track homes and strip malls.

It has been an epic weather year so far though. We couldn't get overcast to produce any precip for the past few years but it seems now every cloud is loaded with water.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:34:50 pm by skeeter »