Author Topic: Trolls decided I was taking pictures of Rex Tillerson’s notes. I wasn’t even there.  (Read 897 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
There’s a joke among Asian Americans that people think we all look the same. That joke became my own personal Pizzagate late Wednesday: I got caught in a terrible case of mistaken identity that was exacerbated by the speed at which false information spreads on social media.

I work as a homepage editor at The Washington Post. Because Wednesday was my day off, I hadn’t been online much. But before I went to bed, I noticed a message request on Facebook. Someone I didn’t know asked: “Any comment on you taking photos of Rex Tillerson’s notes?” When I checked Twitter, I had to scroll for several minutes to figure out what was going on. It seemed to start with this post: “Who is this woman and why is she secretly snapping photos of Rex Tillerson’s notes?”

Right-wing bloggers and Twitter posters had noticed a woman who they thought was taking pictures of the notes that Tillerson, a former ExxonMobil chief executive who is Donald Trump’s pick for secretary of state, had taken during his Senate confirmation hearing. Instantly, they started to “investigate” whatever was going on. Before I could do anything about it, someone had decided the woman was me. No one ever bothered to contact me, but it was this post that Twitter seized upon overnight. By the time I woke up, trolls had commented on social media channels besides Twitter. My Facebook feed had dozens of angry messages from people I didn’t know, as did comments on my Instagram account. Even my rarely used YouTube channel attracted attention. My emails and my voicemail included messages calling me “pathetic” and a “sneaky thief.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/01/12/trolls-decided-i-was-taking-pictures-of-rex-tillersons-notes-i-wasnt-even-there/?postshare=5571484252601128&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.38bd1135f359

The saddest thing about this is the social media clowns attacking Doris Truong are the same morons who have declared themselves to be the arbiters or truth in media.

Offline Cripplecreek

@HonestJohn

It turns out that it wasn't even Doris Truong but I don't think our self appointed arbiters of truth in media will have any further interest.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Right-wing bloggers and Twitter posters had noticed a woman who they thought was taking pictures of the notes that Tillerson...

Nobody on the left noticed?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline skeeter

@HonestJohn

It turns out that it wasn't even Doris Truong but I don't think our self appointed arbiters of truth in media will have any further interest.

I couldn't care less who it was. If it was a journalist taking covert pictures of a nominees notes while that person was getting a drink of water it was unethical.

Offline Cripplecreek

Nobody on the left noticed?

They didn't launch into an attack with or without the facts.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
No one called her for comment?  Seems the minimum a journalist should do before publishing the charge.

Offline skeeter

No one called her for comment?  Seems the minimum a journalist should do before publishing the charge.

This is the story from Conservative Treehouse posted here earlier.

"Twitter folks identified the sneaky photographer as Doris N Truong and editor for the Washington Post. However, some disputed that identity and believed the culprit to be  Lisa Song, a reporter for Inside Climate News.   No-one is certain of the identity."

There's an update containing Truong's denial. Not much to be outraged about, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:27:39 pm by skeeter »

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
They didn't launch into an attack with or without the facts.

This is why I take a much of what is posted at Gateway Pundit and Conservative TreeNuthouse and even sadly Breitbart now days with a huge grain of salt or many grains of salt.  They go with whatever rumors are out there on Twitter or 4Chan, etc. or other “blogs” and just publish without any thought to fact checking first. (OK the MSM doesn’t do enough fact checking but then the “Alternative” media should cast stones if they don’t either).

I recall when Gateway Pundit published a YouTube video supposedly showing a bunch of black guys vandalizing a car with Trump signs and with all the expected outrage and racially charged comments. IIRC, it was posted here. It was quickly found to be a hoax/staged video by a well know prankster named “JoeySalads” and it was even debunked by Mark Dice, but to my knowledge, Jim Hoft never took the post down even after many including myself commented that it was staged, a prank. Of course it got picked up by many other sites including Conservative TreeNuthouse and Breitbart and Drudge and found its way to Facebook where several of my friends posted it thinking it was real.

A quick look at this “JoeySalads” guy’s other videos would have quickly shown it to be not real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDtjVkAZky4&t=2s

There's an update containing Truong's denial. Not much to be outraged about, IMO.

“No-one is certain of the identity." Is not exactly a confirmation of Truong's denial and Lisa Song says it wasn’t her either. But she’s also getting trolled now.

And Truong’s still getting harassed by people on Twitter and Facebook, etc., still saying it was her, calling her a liar, saying it doesn’t matter because she works for the WP and therefore deserves it, must be a Chinese agent and or demanding that she identify the Asian woman who was there because, yes, being Asian herself, she knows every other Asian woman and it’s her job to investigate who it was in order to clear herself and if she doesn’t, that means it really was her……

Then there is this lovely comment on Conservative TreeNuthouse:

The last name is vietnamese and by the picture she is some kind of yellow. race She is certainly a piece of trash that has no conscience, moral and or any ethic. Normal human beings would not live their lives without any of these principles but then again she is not a human by any stretch of imagination. Maybe we can deport her back to the Vietnamese communists. She or it may become one day a president of a vietnamese banana republic that will be fully recognized by the UN, another banana entity.

22222frying pan

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Frank Cannon

I couldn't care less who it was. If it was a journalist taking covert pictures of a nominees notes while that person was getting a drink of water it was unethical.

What if it was a Tillerson groupy? She might be into fat old men in the oil business.

Wingnut

Dock that Chink a days pay for not being on the job.

Offline skeeter

This is why I take a much of what is posted at Gateway Pundit and Conservative TreeNuthouse and even sadly Breitbart now days with a huge grain of salt or many grains of salt.  They go with whatever rumors are out there on Twitter or 4Chan, etc. or other “blogs” and just publish without any thought to fact checking first. (OK the MSM doesn’t do enough fact checking but then the “Alternative” media should cast stones if they don’t either).

I recall when Gateway Pundit published a YouTube video supposedly showing a bunch of black guys vandalizing a car with Trump signs and with all the expected outrage and racially charged comments. IIRC, it was posted here. It was quickly found to be a hoax/staged video by a well know prankster named “JoeySalads” and it was even debunked by Mark Dice, but to my knowledge, Jim Hoft never took the post down even after many including myself commented that it was staged, a prank. Of course it got picked up by many other sites including Conservative TreeNuthouse and Breitbart and Drudge and found its way to Facebook where several of my friends posted it thinking it was real.

A quick look at this “JoeySalads” guy’s other videos would have quickly shown it to be not real.

“No-one is certain of the identity." Is not exactly a confirmation of Truong's denial and Lisa Song says it wasn’t her either. But she’s also getting trolled now.

And Truong’s still getting harassed by people on Twitter and Facebook, etc., still saying it was her, calling her a liar, saying it doesn’t matter because she works for the WP and therefore deserves it, must be a Chinese agent and or demanding that she identify the Asian woman who was there because, yes, being Asian herself, she knows every other Asian woman and it’s her job to investigate who it was in order to clear herself and if she doesn’t, that means it really was her……

22222frying pan

I did not include the clear statement of Truong's denial in the bit I excerpted. It is on the website.

It was a mistake to mention a name without confirmation in the first place, no doubt.

I must be getting old. I am continually surprised by people's irrational behavior these days.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:59:19 pm by skeeter »

Offline endicom

This is why I take a much of what is posted at Gateway Pundit and Conservative TreeNuthouse and even sadly Breitbart now days with a huge grain of salt or many grains of salt.

To take everything with a grain was good advice before Moses crossed the Rubicon.

Offline Lando Lincoln

To take everything with a grain was good advice before Moses crossed the Rubicon.

That was Julius Caesar.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:18:28 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

HonestJohn

22222frying pan

The last name is vietnamese and by the picture she is some kind of yellow. race She is certainly a piece of trash that has no conscience, moral and or any ethic. Normal human beings would not live their lives without any of these principles but then again she is not a human by any stretch of imagination. Maybe we can deport her back to the Vietnamese communists. She or it may become one day a president of a vietnamese banana republic that will be fully recognized by the UN, another banana entity.

Trump's LOLLILOP brigades for all to see.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:04:34 am by HonestJohn »