Author Topic: Michigan: Roseville man gets $128 ticket for heating up car in own driveway  (Read 2113 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Roseville man gets $128 ticket for heating up car in own driveway

ROSEVILLE, Mich. (WXYZ) - Did you know you could get fined for heating up your car? One man's parking ticket has gone viral, with thousands of views after he was ticketed for heating up his car in his own driveway.

Taylor Trupiano says he's still shaking his head over a parking ticket he got on his own property.

"I thought it was some kind of joke at first, and then I was thrown back by it," he said. "I was really surprised."

The ticket was for leaving the keys in the ignition with the motor running and no one around. Trupiano said he was only doing something many people in Michigan do during the winter.

Continued: http://www.wxyz.com/news/roseville-man-gets-128-ticket-for-heating-up-car-in-own-driveway

I've seen a few articles that thieves have learned that they can possibly steal cars in the winter while owners are warming their caru up in this way.
"We have five to ten cars stolen this way every winter," Roseville Police Chief James Berlin said. "It's dangerous, and of course it drives everyone's insurance rates up. It drives our crime rates up."

Many of the ordinances  will allow you to use a remote start because the vehicle is locked.

Offline Frank Cannon

I've seen a few articles that thieves have learned that they can possibly steal cars in the winter while owners are warming their caru up in this way.

So what Tom? Obviously you don't live in the NE or Lake regions.

Wingnut

Good thing the EPA didn't catch him or else he'd be in a heap of trouble.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I start the car and walk down to the post office, come back have a cup of coffee etc.

Oceander

I understand the desire to heat up the inside of the car before one gets into it, especially since its 16 F right now, but starting the car just to let it idle for a while is not good for the engine. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
So this ordinance is to protect people from their own stupidity?

Wingnut

I understand the desire to heat up the inside of the car before one gets into it, especially since its 16 F right now, but starting the car just to let it idle for a while is not good for the engine.

Offline RetBobbyMI

So this ordinance is to protect people from their own stupidity?
There is no such ordinance in Roseville nor any Michigan state law. It's either a fake or a stupid cop.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Just_Victor

"We have five to ten cars stolen this way every winter," Roseville Police Chief James Berlin said. "It's dangerous, and of course it drives everyone's insurance rates up. It drives our crime rates up."

The police chief should go back to elementary school and learn the basics of cause and effect.  Victims don't cause crime, criminals cause crime.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline TomSea

There is no such ordinance in Roseville nor any Michigan state law. It's either a fake or a stupid cop.

Tell that to the Police Chief, James Berlin:

"You're putting the public at risk," Roseville police Chief James Berlin said. "This is purely a public safety issue."

Taylor posted a picture of the ticket on his Facebook page and called the officer an insulting name. It's been shared more than 6,000 times and there are more than 5,000 comments.

Berlin said he's not tearing up the ticket. He's angry about the name calling.

"You see the disparaging comments he made about my officer?" Berlin said. "Drop dead."

Continued: http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Michigan-man-ticketed-for-warming-up-car-410101405.html

Also, how could all of these stories talk about remote starters being exempt if there was not a law?

Offline Victoria33

Good thing the EPA didn't catch him or else he'd be in a heap of trouble.
@Wingnut

This is a case of don't catch a thief who steals a car but stop a citizen (punish him/her) from warming his car. 

This is the same as I need hydrocodone pain pills due to a medical condition I have, but since some people take too many of them, my doctor and I and the pharmacy  have to go through ridiculous steps for me to get them.
1.  No one can get hydrocodone without going to a doctor, face to face meeting.
2.  The doc cannot renew the month's prescription without the patient going back to the doctor for another face to face meeting.
3.  A prescription for this medicine can only be for one month with no refills.

The ridiculous part is, when I get a month's prescription, I could over dose on them if I wanted.  This ridiculous govn. crack down on this medicine would not stop me from taking gobs of them at one time.

Granted, some people/druggies, want these pills but once a doctor KNOWS there is a reason for this med, the patient and doctor and pharmacy should not be punished by having to go through hoops over and over to get these pills.

The man with the car cannot warm his car because someone might take his car.  I can't get these pills easily because someone might get them who doesn't need them.

Gone are the days when people had independence to live their lives as they want.  We are now surrounded with regulations.  At this point, I agree with John Galt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Galt

Offline dfwgator

@Wingnut

This is a case of don't catch a thief who steals a car but stop a citizen (punish him/her) from warming his car. 

This is the same as I need hydrocodone pain pills due to a medical condition I have, but since some people take too many of them, my doctor and I and the pharmacy  have to go through ridiculous steps for me to get them.
1.  No one can get hydrocodone without going to a doctor, face to face meeting.
2.  The doc cannot renew the month's prescription without the patient going back to the doctor for another face to face meeting.
3.  A prescription for this medicine can only be for one month with no refills.

The ridiculous part is, when I get a month's prescription, I could over dose on them if I wanted.  This ridiculous govn. crack down on this medicine would not stop me from taking gobs of them at one time.

Granted, some people/druggies, want these pills but once a doctor KNOWS there is a reason for this med, the patient and doctor and pharmacy should not be punished by having to go through hoops over and over to get these pills.

The man with the car cannot warm his car because someone might take his car.  I can't get these pills easily because someone might get them who doesn't need them.

Gone are the days when people had independence to live their lives as they want.  We are now surrounded with regulations.  At this point, I agree with John Galt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Galt

It's like gun laws.  We can't have the means to protect ourselves, because some bad guys might get guns.

Offline TomSea

That my car could be stolen is enough reason for me to watch the car.

But I am aware of a case not long ago, where someone's car was stolen, the owner got it back but it had dents and scuffs from sideswipes. It did represent a potential danger.

Then, you have cases where some people don't even take the keys out of the car and yes, if the car gets stolen, it's the owner's fault that helped cause this. I knew a man who would leave his keys in the car. I don't think his car ever got stolen either.

Wingnut

Two words.  Remote Starter.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:36:13 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15

When it gets cold you have to heat up the windshield or it can ice up before you get very far. Had that happen once as a youngster. My truck is stick shift so that and the big pile of snow out front probably would stop most thieves before they get very far.  :smokin:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline TomSea

Responsibility and independence against needless regulations is fine but if one steals your car that was idling unattended and has a bad accident, is one willing to take responsibility then too?

Anyway, I think I've heard that too, idling for extended amounts of time is not good for the car; and often, the car might need the windshield cleaned up a little, just dress warm and sit in the car for a while for me.  Defrost if needed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:05:34 pm by TomSea »