Author Topic: Biden: Senate Democrats Should Give Whoever Trump Nominates For SCOTUS A Vote  (Read 533 times)

Offline endicom

Townhall
Matt Vespa
Jan. 9, 2017

Excerpt:

As Guy noted, then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) set the precedent back in 1992:

It is my view that if a Supreme Court Justice resigns tomorrow, or within the next several weeks, or resigns at the end of the summer, President Bush should consider following the practice of a majority of his predecessors and not--and not--name a nominee until after the November election is completed. The Senate, too, Mr. President, must consider how it would respond to a Supreme Court vacancy that would occur in the full throes of an election year. It is my view that if the President goes the way of Presidents Fillmore and Johnson and presses an election-year nomination, the Senate Judiciary Committee should seriously consider not scheduling confirmation hearings on the nomination until after the political campaign season is over...

It would be our pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is under way, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over...Others may fret that this approach would leave the Court with only eight members for some time, but as I see it, Mr. President, the cost of such a result, the need to reargue three or four cases that will divide the Justices four to four are quite minor compared to the cost that a nominee, the President, the Senate, and the Nation wouldhave to pay for what would assuredly be a bitter fight, no matter how good a person is nominated by the President, if that nomination were to take place in the next several weeks. In the end, this may be the only course of action that historical practice and practical realism can sustain.

More... http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/01/09/biden-senate-democrats-should-give-whoever-trump-nominates-for-scotus-a-vote-n2269038

Biden is sounding rational and consistent. No, really.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The hell the libs are going through right now is that information sources are so readily available, anyone can check on what they said, positions they have taken without relying on MSM.

As a double bonus, the media has become unbelievable.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
The hell the libs are going through right now is that information sources are so readily available, anyone can check on what they said, positions they have taken without relying on MSM.

As a double bonus, the media has become unbelievable.

Slight correction.  The media have always been unbelievable.  It's just that now everyone recognizes that fact.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!