Author Topic: Michelle Obama Says, 'I Hope I've Made You Proud'  (Read 2086 times)

Wingnut

Michelle Obama Says, 'I Hope I've Made You Proud'
« on: January 07, 2017, 02:25:19 am »
Bitch Please...  You do not matter.

WASHINGTON — Michelle Obama fought back tears on Friday during her last public remarks as first lady, overcome with emotion as she reflected on her eight years in the White House and delivered an intensely personal message of empowerment through education, one of her cherished causes.

“Being your first lady has been the greatest honor of my life,” Mrs. Obama told an audience of educators in the East Room, her voice catching as her eyes shone with tears. "And I hope I’ve made you proud.”

Her 21-minute speech, an appeal for hope and inclusiveness as the salves to the forces of fear and division, carried an implicit rebuke to President-elect Donald J. Trump, whom she did not name, delivered with the quiet intensity and aspirational language that came to mark her appearances on the campaign trail last year.

“Our glorious diversity — our diversities of faiths, and colors, and creeds — that is not a threat to who we are; it makes us who we are,” Mrs. Obama said.

“So to the young people here and the young people out there: Do not ever let anybody make you feel like you don’t matter or like you don’t have a place in our American story because you do, and you have a right to be exactly who you are,” she added.

The speech was a striking finale for Mrs. Obama, once a reluctant political spouse who disdained

the partisan fray, but who evolved over eight years into a popular and high-profile first lady, spending the final months of her husband’s presidency as a uniquely powerful voice for Democrats against Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/us/politics/michelle-obama-last-speech.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:08:12 pm by Wingnut »

Offline bolobaby

Re: Michelle Obama Says, 'I Hope I've Made You Proud'
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:31:21 am »
Michelle, I've never been less proud of my country or its leaders.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:08:25 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:42:37 am »

No wonder she's getting misty eyed. That living large on our dime gravy train is coming to a halt...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:44:35 am »

“Our glorious diversity — our diversities of faiths, and colors, and creeds — that is not a threat to who we are; it makes us who we are,” Mrs. Obama said.

“So to the young people here and the young people out there: Do not ever let anybody make you feel like you don’t matter or like you don’t have a place in our American story because you do, and you have a right to be exactly who you are,” she added.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/us/politics/michelle-obama-last-speech.html
...unless you are a white person, that is. We get it, you racist unAmerican waste of oxygen. Kindly go sequester your carbon somewhere.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:21:10 am »
Worst president and first lady this country has ever had.  But so long as the Obamas have media outlets like NYT gushing over them and teachers indoctrinating  our young people on the Obamas'  phoney virtues,  there  will always be those who will worship these grifters.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:30:19 pm »
First Lady Michelle Obama’s Final Official Remarks
The White House·Friday, January 6, 2017
Delivered at the National School Counselor of the Year Event
MRS. OBAMA:  Hey!  What’s going on?  Thank you all so much.  You guys, that’s a command -- rest yourselves.  We’re almost at the end.

Hello, everyone.  And, may I say for the last time officially, welcome to the White House.  Yes!  Well, we are beyond thrilled to have you all here to celebrate the 2017 National School Counselor of the Year, as well as all of our State Counselors of the Year.  These are the fine women, and a few good men -- one good man -- who are on this stage, and they represent schools from across this country.  ...

I also want to acknowledge a few other special guests we have in the audience.  We’ve got a pretty awesome crew.  As one of my staff said, “You roll pretty deep.”  I’m like, well, yeah, we have a few good friends.  We have with us today Ted Allen, La La Anthony, Connie Britton, Andy Cohen -- yeah, Andy Cohen is here -- Carla Hall, Coach Jim Harbaugh and his beautiful wife, who’s a lot better looking than him -- Lana Parrilla, my buddy Jay Pharoah, Kelly Rowland, Usher --

AUDIENCE MEMBER:  Woo!

MRS. OBAMA:  Keep it down.  Keep it together, ladies.  ...

... We are also very proud of all that this administration has done to make higher education more affordable. We doubled investments in Pell grants and college tax credits. We expanded income-based loan repayment options for tens of millions of students. We made it easier to apply for financial aid. We created a College Scorecard to help students make good decisions about higher education. And we provided new funding and support for school counselors. Altogether, we made in this administration the largest investment in higher education since the G.I. Bill. And today, the high school graduation rate is at a record high, and more young people than ever before are going to college. ...

And as I end my time in the White House, I can think of no better message to send our young people in my last official remarks as First Lady.  So for all the young people in this room and those who are watching, know that this country belongs to you –- to all of you, from every background and walk of life.  If you or your parents are immigrants, know that you are part of a proud American tradition –- the infusion of new cultures, talents and ideas, generation after generation, that has made us the greatest country on earth.

If your family doesn’t have much money, I want you to remember that in this country, plenty of folks, including me and my husband –- we started out with very little.  But with a lot of hard work and a good education, anything is possible -- even becoming President.  That’s what the American Dream is all about. 

If you are a person of faith, know that religious diversity is a great American tradition, too.  In fact, that’s why people first came to this country –- to worship freely.  And whether you are Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh -- these religions are teaching our young people about justice, and compassion, and honesty.  So I want our young people to continue to learn and practice those values with pride.  You see, our glorious diversity -- our diversities of faiths and colors and creeds -- that is not a threat to who we are, it makes us who we are.  So the young people here and the young people out there:  Do not ever let anyone make you feel like you don’t matter, or like you don’t have a place in our American story -- because you do.  And you have a right to be exactly who you are.

But I also want to be very clear:  This right isn’t just handed to you.  No, this right has to be earned every single day.  You cannot take your freedoms for granted.  Just like generations who have come before you, you have to do your part to preserve and protect those freedoms.  And that starts right now, when you’re young.

Right now, you need to be preparing yourself to add your voice to our national conversation.  You need to prepare yourself to be informed and engaged as a citizen, to serve and to lead, to stand up for our proud American values and to honor them in your daily lives.  And that means getting the best education possible so you can think critically, so you can express yourself clearly, so you can get a good job and support yourself and your family, so you can be a positive force in your communities. 
And when you encounter obstacles -- because I guarantee you, you will, and many of you already have -- when you are struggling and you start thinking about giving up, I want you to remember something that my husband and I have talked about since we first started this journey nearly a decade ago, something that has carried us through every moment in this White House and every moment of our lives, and that is the power of hope -- the belief that something better is always possible if you’re willing to work for it and fight for it.

It is our fundamental belief in the power of hope that has allowed us to rise above the voices of doubt and division, of anger and fear that we have faced in our own lives and in the life of this country.  Our hope that if we work hard enough and believe in ourselves, then we can be whatever we dream, regardless of the limitations that others may place on us.  The hope that when people see us for who we truly are, maybe, just maybe they, too, will be inspired to rise to their best possible selves. ...

That’s the kind of hope that every single one of us -– politicians, parents, preachers –- all of us need to be providing for our young people.  Because that is what moves this country forward every single day -– our hope for the future and the hard work that hope inspires.

So that’s my final message to young people as First Lady.  It is simple.  I want our young people to know that they matter, that they belong.  So don’t be afraid –- you hear me, young people?  Don’t be afraid.  Be focused.  Be determined.  Be hopeful.  Be empowered.  Empower yourselves with a good education, then get out there and use that education to build a country worthy of your boundless promise.  Lead by example with hope, never fear.  And know that I will be with you, rooting for you and working to support you for the rest of my life.

And that is true I know for every person who are here -- is here today, and for educators and advocates all across this nation who get up every day and work their hearts out to lift up our young people.  And I am so grateful to all of you for your passion and your dedication and all the hard work on behalf of our next generation.  And I can think of no better way to end my time as First Lady than celebrating with all of you.

So I want to close today by simply saying thank you.  Thank you for everything you do for our kids and for our country.  Being your First Lady has been the greatest honor of my life, and I hope I’ve made you proud.
The White House, via Facebook

Classy as evah. But what's with all this talk of hope? I thought she lost all hope after the Hilldebeaste lost the election.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 12:33:53 pm »
@mountaineer

Notice the liberal usage of the first person pronoun.  With the Obamas, it's all about MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »
Saturday, January 7, 2017
Oh, You’ve Made Us Proud Honey!
Michelle Obama's Mirror
And so it ends the way it began – with a big party; a private party for friends and donors (redundant) that was closed to the press. Apparently it was casual Friday as both David Letterman and Robert DiNiro arrived in sweaters. I’m a little surprised DiNiro was allowed in at all, as he is on record having threatened to punch President Elect Trump in the face. I guess that’s okay though, since Trump isn't Black.

The party was otherwise populated with what have been classified as “A-listers” which to the press means celebrities. They chortled that Obama’s farewell bash would host more A-listers than Trump’s inaugural, as if that’s the measure of a man’s import.

Recognize any of these celebrities? Me neither.
    “The group will then be clearing out of DC, and no doubt staying far away when Trump is inaugurated on January 20, an event that has failed to draw any of the big names Obama did during his two ceremonies.” - Daily Mail
To which many Americans can only say “amen and hallelujah.” Clear out of town and take your celebrity POTUS and FLOTUS with you; time for the serious people to Make America Great Again.

In other celebrity news yesterday Lady M, still the fashion icon and busy mom™ she’s always been, hosted one last speech honoring the 2017 school counselor of the year. She chose an expensive new designer frock and a new Cleopatra hairchop for her final FLOTUS speech.

Nor did she disappoint the gathering of school counselors and celebrities (because what would a White House event without celebrities be?).   
Diversity “makes us who we are,” Obama said at the 2017 School Counselor of the Year event in the East Room of the White House, where she hosted 50 school counselors and a slew of stars. “Don’t ever let anyone make you feel like you don’t matter, or like you don’t have a place in our American story. You do.”
You don’t have to go to Princeton or Harvard Law to craft a message like that - as saccharine as it is banal; it’s just a gift Lady M has.
    “If your family doesn’t have much money, I want you to remember that in this country, plenty of folks, including me and my husband, we started out with very little. But with a lot of hard work and a good education, anything is possible — even becoming President. That’s what the American Dream is all about.”
Rest assured Barry and the Broad will not be leaving the White House “flat broke” like America’s lesser first black POTUS and FLOTUS did. Then things took an emotional turn as Lady M, her voice breaking and eyes filling with tears, said that being First Lady has been the “greatest honor of my life.”
    “Being your First Lady has been the greatest honor of my life, and I hope I’ve made you proud,” Obama said. – NY Daily News
    Oh honey… how could we not be proud?

Why, you might even say that for the first time in my adult life I’m actually proud to see the American First Family moving the hell out.
More photos at link.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 03:12:44 pm »
Why, you might even say that for the first time in my adult life I’m actually proud to see the American First Family moving the hell out.

QFT

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:26:27 pm »
Inside the Obamas' final star-studded party: White House bash goes on until 4am with Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks and SJP on the dance floor and chicken and waffles for breakfast

* Kelly Rowland, Wale and Nick Jonas, Paul McCartney among stars to arrive to White House party on Friday
    * Jill Scott, Terrence J, La La Anthony and Jordin Sparks also posted photos and selfies as they arrived
    * Chrissy Teigen, John Legend, Stevie Wonder, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Tyler Perry were in attendance
    * Beyonce and Jay Z, Bruce Springsteen, and Oprah Winfrey were invited to attend President Obama's party
    * Chance the Rapper confirmed his attendance, writing: 'Bout to fly 21 hours to DC to bid farewell to the greatest president in US history. God bless you @POTUS'
    * Earlier Friday the First Lady gave final White House speech and Obama will give his farewell address Tuesday

By Anna Hopkins For Dailymail.com
Published: 09:54 EST, 7 January 2017 | Updated: 21:48 EST, 7 January 2017

Dozens of celebrities turned out to party until 4am at the White House in a farewell bash that saw the likes of Paul McCartney, Meryl Streep and SJP tear up the dancefloor.

The strictly VIP guestlist were banned from recording inside the party where Barack and Michelle served chicken and waffles to weary partygoers in the early hours of Saturday morning.

But that didn't stop A-list attendees from spilling the beans and their selfies to social media revealing how many of the Hollywood elite turned out to say goodbye to the beloved first family.  ...

Read more (plus photos) at Daily Mail (U.K.)

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 03:12:38 pm »
If being nauseated or my blood made to boil is the same as being made proud, then I'm proud to have had her as first lady. 22222frying pan

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 04:06:57 pm »
If being nauseated or my blood made to boil is the same as being made proud, then I'm proud to have had her as first lady. 22222frying pan
I love the internet. I don't have to stock up on photos to keep the rats out of the grain bins...

American Politics has had its highs and lows, but so far, and hopefully for all history, this administration has been a serious low.
Hopefully, the US Federal Government can spend a lot less time attacking the American People and American industry, and more time fending off invaders and the enemies of our country.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 04:23:26 pm »
I love the internet. I don't have to stock up on photos to keep the rats out of the grain bins...

American Politics has had its highs and lows, but so far, and hopefully for all history, this administration has been a serious low.
Hopefully, the US Federal Government can spend a lot less time attacking the American People and American industry, and more time fending off invaders and the enemies of our country.
Barack Obama could have done a lot to try and ameliorate the differences between white and black Americans. Instead he fanned the racial fires and attempted to make black Americans feel like they were victims and undergoing the same type of racial oppression that they underwent more than half a century ago.
There was not one statement from Obama that I can recall where he challenged black Americans to better themselves and not play the victim/racism card at every opportunity.  Clearly, he still thinks America is some kind of evil, racist country dominated by white supremacists.  How he got elected in a country dominated by white supremacists is a question left unanswered.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 04:29:38 pm »
Barack Obama could have done a lot to try and ameliorate the differences between white and black Americans. Instead he fanned the racial fires and attempted to make black Americans feel like they were victims and undergoing the same type of racial oppression that they underwent more than half a century ago.
There was not one statement from Obama that I can recall where he challenged black Americans to better themselves and not play the victim/racism card at every opportunity.  Clearly, he still thinks America is some kind of evil, racist country dominated by white supremacists.  How he got elected in a country dominated by white supremacists is a question left unanswered.
Obama has set race relations back to the era when the New Left started agitating black people to be violent with white people. That's 50 years of progress down the tubes.
He has done more to foment racial strife than any president in history.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »
First Lady Michelle Obama’s Final Official Remarks
Classy as evah.

Michelle is certainly one in a million. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »

Is that the Grand Canyon?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »

Who is the large guy with the man bun on the far right?

Online corbe

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »

Reggie in Drag, perhaps?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:00 pm »

The FLOTUS

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:42 pm »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:53 pm »
I've got a fashion tip for the 'fashion icon'.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:22 pm »
I've got a fashion tip for the 'fashion icon'.

I like it!  But, it'll need the signature boob belt.   :smokin:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 10:34:46 pm »
I like it!  But, it'll need the signature boob belt.   :smokin:

That what they call it now? A boob belt. huh. I thought it was a plow harness.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley