Author Topic: North Korea's nukes  (Read 365 times)

Offline pjohns

North Korea's nukes
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:30:59 pm »
Kim Jong-un (of North Korea) has been fervidly pursuing nuclear weapons.  In fact, he very recently announced that the rogue nation has now acquired them.

Just a couple of days ago, Charles Krauthammer--on Fox News--had a rather trenchant observation, I believe.

He suggested that there are only three possible responses to this:

Response #1:  Launch a pre-emptive war.  Although this may, superficially, seem like a decent option, the fact is that Kim Jong-un would almost certainly respond by invading South Korea; and that would provoke a response from Washington.  Put another way, we would almost immediately be embroiled in a land war on the Asian peninsula--complete with (many) American casualties. 

Response #2:  Do nothing.  In other  words, just hope that our ABM system works as advertised.

But if it does not, Los Angeles and San Francisco might soon be reduced to cinders. 

Response #3:  Announce that we look favorably upon Japan's pursuit of nuclear weapons.  This might just alarm the leaders in China--which, of course, is North Korea's client--and thereby provoke them into doing something, to rein in their puppet.

Of the three options, Option #3 does not seem to have a downside.

But what do others think?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:46:58 pm by pjohns »

geronl

Re: North Korea's nukes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »
nuke the northern border area, that should keep them from invading the south

geronl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:33:58 pm »
The proliferation of nuclear weapons "does not seem to have a downside"

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline pjohns

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:51:03 pm »
The proliferation of nuclear weapons "does not seem to have a downside"

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

That is not quite what I said.

Charles Krauthammer's point--with which I fully agree--is that we should claim to look favorably upon Japan's pursuit of nuclear weapons, in order to (possibly) provoke China into reining in North Korea.

It would really be better not to caricature (or otherwise misrepresent) my words.