Author Topic: Male college students to undergo ‘critical self-reflection’ of masculinity  (Read 2095 times)

rangerrebew

Male college students to undergo ‘critical self-reflection’ of masculinity
Jeremy Beaman - University of Mobile •January 3, 2017
 514  297 Share37  57
man-shutterstock   

‘Goal is to create a sense of security in vulnerability …’

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is currently taking applications for its “Men’s Project,” a six-week program that aims to counter the alleged harmful effects of society’s masculinity paradigms and pressures and empower participants to promote “gender equity.”

“Men’s Project creates a space for critical self-reflection and dialogue about what it means to be a man and how masculinity impacts us and those around us,” organizers state in promoting the effort.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/30561/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:36:03 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

In my 69 years, I don't believe I've ever gotten in touch with my kinder, gentler, gayer, feminine, transgender side.  Now I see the error of my ways.  I shouldn't have put myself through college.  I shouldn't have enlisted in the Navy.  I shouldn't have tried to solve problems by myself.  I haven't offered my heart and soul to welfare loaf, er recipients, lazy ass college kids, whining and crying liberals, etc.   :tongue2:  They can all  888buttkisser

Offline musiclady

Well, if they were raised by leftist parents, they probably don't have much masculinity to get rid of......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline endicom

I guess that "I got your reflection swingin'!" wouldn't go over well.

Offline Millee

Well, if they were raised by leftist parents, they probably don't have much masculinity to get rid of......

Lol!  You win!  :laugh:

@musiclady

geronl

Sounds like something out of a communist country like North Korea

Offline musiclady

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Wingnut

Can we discuss my Low-T? 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The first comment to the article was outstanding.  Scroll down in the article.

"Communist Reeducation 101:

1. "...aims to counter the alleged harmful effects of society’s masculinity paradigms..."

Masculinity, as a general concept, advances the notions of independent agency, strength, intellect, and personal responsibility. Although women exercise these traits as well, they have traditionally been associated with the masculine. These traits are also essential in a liberty based society where individuals need to capitalize on the concept of equality of opportunity in order to become well adjusted and independent adults.

Communists seek to undo these norms to produce group-oriented and intellectually inept invalids who must look to a central authority figure (the State) to be able to function.

2. "...creates a space for critical self-reflection..."

This is where the Maoist "struggle session" takes place. Here, the men are accused of crimes to which they were not a party and from which they are not permitted to exonerate themselves, in typical kafkaesque fashion. Then, this guilt is poured into them under severe peer pressure until they capitulate.

3. "...promote the advancement of gender equity..."

They want equality of outcome between groups, that is, communism. That is how they define "equity." There is never any interest on fostering equality of opportunity between independent individuals, as capitalism promotes.

4. "...media and pop culture, vulnerability, sexuality, hook-up culture, alcohol, relationships and violence..."

All pathways by which men may either learn or express their masculinity are then targeted for specific attack and "reeducation." This is done to not only make it impossible for men to practice, express, and reinforce their masculinity, but is also done to make the expression of masculinity intolerable to women and society as a whole.

All of it is communism, and it is all being snuck in under the guise of "equity.""
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online mountaineer

My observation of the college-age set (my husband having worked at colleges for the past several years) is that there simply isn't a lot of testosterone to go around. Yeah, they may "hook up" with anything that walks by, but they're far from being men (and that really says more about the low self-esteem of the females on campus than the manliness of the alleged males).
Is it the same where you are, ML?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mirraflake

My observation of the college-age set (my husband having worked at colleges for the past several years) is that there simply isn't a lot of testosterone to go around. Yeah, they may "hook up" with anything that walks by, but they're far from being men (and that really says more about the low self-esteem of the females on campus than the manliness of the alleged males).

My 20 year old niece attends a Big 10 school.  Lots of conservative, masculine men and femine, conservative women.  The girlie men, 3rd wave feminist and SJW crowd while vocal are small in number but they get the internet traffic which seems to inflate their true numbers.

Milo Yiounopolis  has a sell out crowd to every school he gives a speech. 

All of my nephews (and wife's side also) I would consider masculine-all were in either Boy Scouts, Athletics and most are conservative-maybe not far right but lean right.

Not saying we don't have problems but think it is over inflated.

@mountaineer

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
"critical self-reflection and dialogue"
-----------------------------
Sounds like the three dollar way of saying: whining...
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

Not saying we don't have problems but think it is over inflated.
I hope you're right! My observations over the years I visited campus (a small state university with a surprising number of conservatives among the faculty) was that most of the males were couch potatoes who spent a lot of time in the union playing video games - with other guys. There were exceptions, however, and thank goodness for that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@mountaineer

Why would there be?  In many areas masculinity has been eliminated through indoctrination from kindergarten on up.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline musiclady

I agree, though the courses I teach don't require a lot of testosterone in order to do well.  :smokin:

I teach in a conservative university and in a branch campus of a state university, and in both cases there are more people with traditional ideas and roles than in the "outside" world.

I'm all for flipping stereotypes on their heads (that loving music and art and being courteous isn't "masculine" and that being aggressive and strong isn't "feminine"), but I think the leftist culture has done nothing but confuse young males into becoming cowering jellyfish afraid of their own shadows, ergo my comment about being raised by leftist parents.

Artificial explosions of what some people mistake for masculinity (as evidenced by internet bullying and machismo) bug me as much as wimps who are afraid to be men.

I think they're both evidence of insecurity.

geronl

self-criticism sessions in North Korea are mandatory

Offline musiclady

@mountaineer

I should add that the most striking negative development in the students I see is the overall lack of maturity in both genders.  The incoming freshmen get more and more childish, less and less capable, and more and more ignorant of history and of life in general.

Fortunately, I'm in two universities where there are a number of mature students who have been educated, but the increase in the number of extremely immature 18 year olds who don't know anything that happened before the day they were born, has been startling.

IOW, they're sexually active children.   **nononono*

Online Lando Lincoln

Worth the time to listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK97VG-m3W0

It is.

------

My son lives and works in North Dakota.  He says there are no feminists or soft "men" beyond 35 below. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline r9etb

“Men’s Project creates a space for critical self-reflection....

Cutting to the chase, the focal point for such reflection is a few inches south of the navel....

geronl

@mountaineer

I should add that the most striking negative development in the students I see is the overall lack of maturity in both genders.  The incoming freshmen get more and more childish, less and less capable, and more and more ignorant of history and of life in general.

and more and more proud of it

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

by Tom Ciccotta3 Jan 2017

A six-week program offered at the University of Wisconsin-Madison aims to counter the effects of the societal expectation for men to be masculine.

The program centers on the premise that masculinity is primarily a societal construct rather than an intrinsic biological reality. Based on this premise, radical gender theorists argue that masculinity has a toxic influence on society.

The “Men’s Project” is a six-week program for male students that asks participants to reflect on the negative effects of the expectation to be masculine. A news release from the University of Wisconsin material claims that one of the goals is to “prevent future violence” from male students.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/01/03/university-of-wisconsin-course-examines-negative-effects-of-masculinity/
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Men acting like men is a horrible thing. Men acting/dressing like women is wonderful.

Soooo, what is the ultimate goal of all this. Are they saying that if we had a nation of women, along with a gaggle of men who act like and want to be women, then that would lead to utopia?

Liberals are strange. An all woman society, including the, so called, men. Is that the goal.

I promise I don't understand. Unless the goal is to cripple America to the point that they are unable to defend themselves, then none of this makes any sense according to basic biology, history, or common sense.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline montanajoe

Real men don't give diddly what these puzzy's think :laugh:

Offline Mod1

Merged two threads on same topic.