Author Topic: Swedish Six-Hour Workday Runs Into Trouble: It’s Too Costly  (Read 1208 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Swedish Six-Hour Workday Runs Into Trouble: It’s Too Costly
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:44:17 pm »
SOURCE: BLOOMBERG NEWS

URL: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-03/swedish-six-hour-workday-trial-runs-into-trouble-too-expensive?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

by Amanda Billner

Swedes looking forward to a six-hour workday just got some bad news: the costs outweigh the benefits.

A two-year experiment cutting working hours while maintaining pay levels for nurses at Svartedalen old people’s home in the Swedish city of Gothenburg is now nearing the end. The take away was largely positive, with nurses at the home feeling healthier, which reduced sick-leave, and patient care improving.

But the city has no plans in making the measure permanent or broadening it to other facilities. To do that it would need much more money and even help from the national government. To cover the reduced hours for the 68 nurses at the home it had to hire 17 extra staff at a cost of about 12 million kronor ($1.3 million).

“It’s associated with higher costs, absolutely,” said Daniel Bernmar, a local left-wing politician responsible for running the municipality’s elderly care. “It’s far too expensive to carry out a general shortening of working hours within a reasonable time frame.”

The Gothenburg experiment is just the latest in a series of shorter working day trials carried out in Sweden, a country that prides itself on its generous welfare state. The trial has been closely watched globally, with labor activists touting progressive Sweden as a role model in shortening working hours.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline musiclady

Re: Swedish Six-Hour Workday Runs Into Trouble: It’s Too Costly
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »
Shameful.   

The descendants of Vikings are too lazy to work an 8 hour day.   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 02:58:14 pm »
Shameful.   

Can you tell me who wouldn't want to work a 6 hour day for 8 hours pay? It's not lazy, it's smart.

BTW, when were the Vikings ever considered industrious people? I can't think of one contribution to humanity they contributed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:59:32 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:01 pm »
Can you tell me who wouldn't want to work a 6 hour day for 8 hours pay? It's not lazy, it's smart.

BTW, when were the Vikings ever considered industrious people? I can't think of one contribution to humanity they contributed.

Bad mood, Frank?

(It was a joke).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »
Bad mood, Frank?

(It was a joke).

Musiclady making jokes? Is this part of a New Years resolution? If you need help with that Wingnut and I will have you one lining like Shecky Green by June.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 06:48:41 pm »
Musiclady making jokes? Is this part of a New Years resolution? If you need help with that Wingnut and I will have you one lining like Shecky Green by June.

Obviously still in a bad mood.  Perhaps you should consider a New Years Resolution to think before you type.  Your insults here are sort of stupid.

I have a well developed sense of humor and use it frequently. Next time I'll use a smiley face so you get it.

Now go back to bed and get the sleep you obviously missed last night, and I'll ignore these last two posts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:58:08 pm by musiclady »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
Shameful.   

They just don't make Vikings like they used to....

1016 A.D.

2016 A.D.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:34:58 pm »
They just don't make Vikings like they used to....

LOL!  They sure don't!

geronl

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:23:32 pm »
Who would have thought that government meddling was expensive??

:whistle: