Author Topic: Philippines: Duterte says some of his cousins may be Islamic State militants  (Read 373 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Take these stories with a grain of salt though I don't doubt he said this.

Philippines: Duterte says some of his cousins may be Islamic State militants

RODRIGO Duterte may have relatives in the Islamic State (IS) global terror network, according to the latest stunning admission from the Philippine president himself.

He said some have joined the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), two Islamist separatist organisations operating out of the Philippines.

“To be frank, I have cousins on the other side, with MI and MN. Some, I heard, are with ISIS,” he was quoted saying during a recent interview with Rappler executive editor Maria Ressa.

Continued: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/01/philippines-duterte-says-cousins-may-islamic-state-militants/

He's speaking rubbish now? I hope.  Unbelievable. If one goes to his wikipedia bio; one does see though, that he had Catholic schooling when he was young. So, I hope he's not a Muslim, I thought he was "unaffiliated" because he had a bad experience in the Catholic Church, see his bio.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:27:45 am by TomSea »

Offline montanajoe

Take these stories with a grain of salt though I don't doubt he said this.

He's speaking rubbish now? I hope.  Unbelievable. If one goes to his wikipedia bio; one does see though, that he had Catholic schooling when he was young. So, I hope he's not a Muslim, I thought he was "unaffiliated" because he had a bad experience in the Catholic Church, see his bio.

Nope, it's one of the few things I've heard him say that I have 100% confidence that it is true. He was mayor of Davao, on the island of Mindanao. Whereas the rest of the Philippines is 95%+ Catholic Mindanao is about 50/50 and some parts are 90% Islamic. The Island is extremely dangerous for Americans. It's a safe bet that much of Duterte's antagonism to the US is founded in his Islamic background...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Nope, it's one of the few things I've heard him say that I have 100% confidence that it is true. He was mayor of Davao, on the island of Mindanao. Whereas the rest of the Philippines is 95%+ Catholic Mindanao is about 50/50 and some parts are 90% Islamic. The Island is extremely dangerous for Americans. It's a safe bet that much of Duterte's antagonism to the US is founded in his Islamic background...
@montanajoe

His background appears to be Catholic and they moved to Davao from Leyte and also they lived in Cebu.

His father's name was Vicente, his mother's name was Soledad. These are hardly Muslim names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_Duterte#Education
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:04:10 pm by TomSea »