Author Topic: State Department: North Korea not capable of tipping missile with nuclear weapon - UPI  (Read 997 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
State Department: North Korea not capable of tipping missile with nuclear weapon
By Elizabeth Shim Contact the Author   |   Jan. 3, 2017 at 9:21 PM

WASHINGTON, Jan. 3 (UPI) -- The U.S. State Department said Tuesday it does not believe Kim Jong Un has the capability to place a nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile.

The statement comes a few days after the North Korean leader announced his country is ready to test an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Department spokesman John Kirby made the statement the same day the White House said nothing has changed in its assessment of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs, Yonhap reported.

Continued: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/01/03/State-Department-North-Korea-not-capable-of-tipping-missile-with-nuclear-weapon/9951483496026/

Offline Mom MD

Well that makes me feel better!   :tongue2:
God is still in control

Offline TomSea

Some good news, finally.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Some good news, finally.

Yes, because you can believe what comes out of Obama's State Department as true as Gospel.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The south Korean govt says otherwise.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

Yes, because you can believe what comes out of Obama's State Department as true as Gospel.
@INVAR

I knew what I said sounded like being gullible but compared to stories about terrorist attacks or rapes by refugees, it is a good news story, it being credible or not.

Offline thackney

@INVAR

I knew what I said sounded like being gullible but compared to stories about terrorist attacks or rapes by refugees, it is a good news story, it being credible or not.

You consider a non-credible story good news?  Why?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

You consider a non-credible story good news?  Why?

We can't be sure it's totally non-credible. North Korea's arms technology has not been anything to brag about.

Trump said in one of his tweets:

North Korea just stated that it is in the final stages of developing a nuclear weapon capable of reaching parts of the U.S. It won't happen!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-on-north-korea-missile-threat-%E2%80%98it-won%E2%80%99t-happen%E2%80%99/ar-BBxPiLT?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Now what does this mean?.

That we are going to attack NK so it won't happen?

Does Trump's statement also lack credibility?

And to repeat, per most of the stories here, it's good news and we don't know for sure that it lacks credibility.

Offline thackney

We can't be sure it's totally non-credible. North Korea's arms technology has not been anything to brag about.

I was referring more specifically to your comment rather than the story.

it is a good news story, it being credible or not.

Why would you consider a non-credible story good news?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
So what does Julian Assange say?

After all, our people all lie and only St Julian tells the truth. /s

Offline TomSea

So, you are saying that contrary to the state department, NK can tip a missile with a nuclear weapon?

Okay, well, if that is the truth, I stand corrected.

Offline thackney

So, you are saying that contrary to the state department, NK can tip a missile with a nuclear weapon?

Okay, well, if that is the truth, I stand corrected.

Are you intentionally avoiding my question?  Why are you changing what I said?  I made no claim about their capabilities.

You said:
it is a good news story, it being credible or not.

Offline TomSea

Are you intentionally avoiding my question?  Why are you changing what I said?  I made no claim about their capabilities.

You said:

This will go nowhere. With all due respect, it seems this is now a matter of semantics and not really worth trying to sort out.

Back to the story.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:55:55 pm by TomSea »

Offline thackney

This will go nowhere. With all due respect, it seems this is now a matter of semantics and not really worth trying to sort out.

I was trying to understand your comment.  I could not comprehend the point you were trying to make.  It appears you meant the story is credible, therefore good news. 

Is that what you meant instead of "credible or not"?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:59:14 pm by thackney »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Trump said in one of his tweets:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-on-north-korea-missile-threat-%E2%80%98it-won%E2%80%99t-happen%E2%80%99/ar-BBxPiLT?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Now what does this mean?.

That we are going to attack NK so it won't happen?

Does Trump's statement also lack credibility?

And to repeat, per most of the stories here, it's good news and we don't know for sure that it lacks credibility.

You are become the king of pretzel logic.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Wingnut

You are become the king of pretzel logic.

That is funny right there I don't care if you're TomSea!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:55:29 pm by Wingnut »

HonestJohn

Building a nuclear bomb is very difficult.

Turning it into a warhead that can withstand a missile launch, reentry, and the detonate *BEFORE* it hits the ground and breaks into a million pieces... is even moreso.

And the miniaturizing it enough to meet the size and weight requirements of their missiles make it even more difficult.

That said, time is the enemy here.  More time is more time to solve these problems.

As for the South Koreans... they've never built a nuke or and ICBM to carry one.  They aren't familiar with the process or it's difficulties.  And no South Korean scientist ever participated in any country's program... so they don't have any experts on this.

Offline kidd

The U.S. State Department said Tuesday it does not believe Kim Jong Un has the capability to place a nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile.

Bill Clinton sold American missile technology to the Chinese for campaign donations.
The password to gain access to John Podesta's emails was "password"
Obama's Secretary of State kept highly classified information on an unsecured homebrew server.

There is a clear lack of respect for classified information among recent democrats.

Why should anyone believe that American ballistic missile technology has not already made it to North Korea after 16 years of Clinton and Obama?
And why should anyone believe the State Department that allowed the Iran deal?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Bill Clinton sold American missile technology to the Chinese for campaign donations.
Obama's Secretary of State kept highly classified information on an unsecured homebrew server.

There is a clear lack of respect for classified information among recent democrats.

Why should anyone believe that American ballistic missile technology has not already made it to North Korea after 16 years of Clinton and Obama?
The Russians were flying Migs in Mig Alley when my dad was over there, then the Chinese decided to opt in. I don't know why anyone would assume that all of NK's tech is homegrown, to begin with. Lately it sure seems like there could be a fair amount of tech exchange between lesser operators (Pakistan, Iran, NK, and possible some of the big players, too.)

Besides, the State Department got it right about Castro (oh wait, that was the CIA that said he was a communist, the DoS read the NY Times and decided he was going to set up a 'democracy'.) The absence of air support during the Bay of Pigs tells who Kennedy listened to.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

When the North Korean nuclear bomb hits the US before Jan. 20, I'm sure the present State Department will tell you they are sorry they missed the call on that one.  Got water, food?

HonestJohn

:facepalm2:

I'd highly recommend reading this:

https://fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/index.html