Author Topic: Pop Singer Rebecca Ferguson says she'll sing at Trump inauguration under one condition  (Read 5142 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CNN

URL: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/politics/rebecca-ferguson-trump-inauguration/index.html

by Kara Fox

London (CNN)British pop singer Rebecca Ferguson says she has been invited to perform at Donald Trump's inauguration, but her response may not be the RSVP the President-elect's team were expecting.

The former UK X-Factor runner-up said she would only accept the invitation on the condition that she could perform "Strange Fruit" -- a song protesting racism in 1930s America, made famous by Billie Holiday.

In a statement posted to the singer's Twitter account on Monday night Ferguson said:

"I've been asked and this is my answer. If you allow me to sing "strange fruit" a song that has huge historical importance, a song that was blacklisted in the United States for being too controversial. A song that speaks to all the disregarded and down trodden black people in the United States. A song that is a reminder of how love is the only thing that will conquer all the hatred in this world, then I will graciously accept your invitation and see you in Washington. Best Rebecca X".

The lyrics, written in the 1930s by Jewish communist Abel Meeropol, were composed as a protest poem to highlight endemic racism in America's southern states.

The song's opening lyrics deal with lynching, which was still happening in parts of the country at the time:

Southern trees bear strange fruit // Blood on the leaves and blood at the root // Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze // Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

According to Billie Holiday's Estate, Holiday regularly performed the song at live performances in 1939. Her record label, Columbia, refused to let her record the song under their name, so they granted her a one-session contractual release that gave Holiday clearance to independently record the track.

Later that year, the album featuring "Strange Fruit" sold a million copies, becoming Holiday's biggest-selling record at the time. In 1978, the single was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

In 2015 Ferguson released her third album, "Lady Sings the Blues," featuring covers from Billie Holiday's record of the same name. "Strange Fruit" was not featured on Ferguson's album.

Ferguson's rep told CNN that she had no further comment.

Trump's transition team did not return a request for comment at the time of publishing.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Because Ms. Ferguson thinks that sort of thing is still happening?

Offline Frank Cannon

Some British pop star is wanting to do this? F her and the bullshit train she rode in on.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The fact that Trump has to stoop so low as Rebecca Ferguson, whom I (and probably the vast majority of Americans) have never heard of, to begin with is humiliating enough as it is.

Why not start calling around the small-town bar circuit and picking up whatever cover band wants the opportunity at this point?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

So, they're down to scouting the D listers now?

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Cool With Me says they're available that evening

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Some British pop star is wanting to do this? F her and the bullshit train she rode in on.

@Night Hides Not

:whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Night Hides Not

@Night Hides Not

:whistle:

@Frank Cannon  - Even though DC Patriot continues to post his meme containing profanity, allow me to respectfully ask you to refrain from using profanity. IMHO, it reduces the power of your normally excellent and cogent posts.

I'm no saint when it comes to profanity, but I believe the owners of TBR request that we refrain from profanity.

DC Patriot continues to disrespect these forums with his profane Trump/Obama meme, a style consistent with the crassness associated with our President Elect.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:14:24 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Never heard of her. No really, haven't a clue who this gal is.

I'll bet Charlie Daniels wouldn't mind performing if he was asked.  :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Night Hides Not

Never heard of her. No really, haven't a clue who this gal is.

I'll bet Charlie Daniels wouldn't mind performing if he was asked.  :whistle:

Sounds good to me.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

At this rate we should look forward to karaoke night at the balls.   The set list will include:

NSFW

YMCA
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:23:28 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

At this rate we should look forward to karaoke night at the balls.   The set list will include:

For the love of all that is good and decent warn us first will you.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
 ***suicide***
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

***suicide***

Well at least I didn't use profanity..

@Frank Cannon @Night Hides Not
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:39:29 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Rivergirl

***suicide***

Uncalled for.   Irrelevant picture.

Offline corbe

Is Rosie unavailable?

What about Ted?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

Uncalled for.   Irrelevant picture.

Please file a complaint with the appropriate Mod.

Offline Frank Cannon

So, they're down to scouting the D listers now?

These guys are available. They are always available.....

Offline corbe

He could mend  some fences with this gesture.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Eye Bleach.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The inauguration is no place to dredge up black history and grievance. We should be looking toward the future, not obsessing on the past.

Threw this in just for fun. I know all the words to this song and have been caught singing in the shower. LoL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ67NLzADOE
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:57:00 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Silver Pines

@Frank Cannon

I'll second that.

I'll guarantee this ignorant fool that race relations in the South are as good or better than they are in a lot of metropolitan areas elsewhere.  Down here we're all Southerners, regardless of skin color.

Offline Frank Cannon

Threw this in just for fun. I know all the words to this song and have been caught singing in the shower. LoL

Nickelback sucks and you should have your bathroom taken away for admitting that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPj5YokEOY

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Nickelback sucks and you should have your bathroom taken away for admitting that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPj5YokEOY

I've never listened to Nickleback before, but that was an OK-ish song. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
@Frank Cannon

I'll second that.

I'll guarantee this ignorant fool that race relations in the South are as good or better than they are in a lot of metropolitan areas elsewhere.  Down here we're all Southerners, regardless of skin color.

Lots of blacks fled racism in the south only to find a slightly different species of it here in the north.

Gun control in Michigan got its start in the 1920s when a black Dr named Ossian Sweet killed a man who was part of a mob trying to force Sweet out of "their" neighborhood. Sweet was acquitted and within weeks legislation supporting gun control started showing up in Lansing. It led to things like local "Gun boards" who were groups of people who determined who was or wasn't allowed to have guns.

Fortunately these days our state constitution is pretty clear on this one and will only lead to a more gun friendly state.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. But come on Frank, don't we all want to great like Elvis without the tassels? and hire eight body guards who love to beat up assholes? and sign autographs so I can eat my meals for free?

Deep down I know you agree with me. Just because everyone rushes to get out of the house before I get in the shower, doesn't mean they don't like the music, which can be heard all over the house btw, or my singing. It is just that they simply are in a hurry. That's all.

It's all just for fun. Who doesn't enjoy hassling their family?

Maybe Trump will call me? I'll do it Karaoke style. Hahaha! (I doubt it.)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.