Author Topic: Trump Blasts GM: Make Chevy Cruze in US, Not Mexico, or Pay 'Big Border Tax'  (Read 1208 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Newsmax
Trump Blasts GM: Make Chevy Cruze in US, Not Mexico, or Pay 'Big Border Tax'
Tuesday, January 3, 2017 07:58 AM

By: Mark Swanson

President-elect Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday to pummel General Motors over its plans to distribute its Mexican-made Chevy Cruze model to American car dealers.

In a June press release, GM said it would boost production to meet customer demand by "utilizing existing production capacity in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, to supplement production at its plant in Lordstown, Ohio."

Trump's not buying it.

General Motors is sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border. Make in U.S.A.or pay big border tax!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 3, 2017

Trump's tweet is the latest targeting U.S. companies and threatening them with penalties for operating abroad. And it comes less than a week after Trump announced his two golden rules for his administration:

Buy American, Hire American.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/gm-chevy-cruze-trump/2017/01/03/id/766504/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trump-gm-chevrolet-cruze/2017/01/03/id/766525/
GM Fires Back at Trump: All Cruze Sedans Are US-Made

General Motors has issued a response to President-elect Donald Trump's claim that the company's Chevrolet Cruze models are built in Mexico and imported tax-free to the U.S.

GM says all Cruze sedans sold here are made in Lordstown, Ohio, while a small number of Cruze hatchbacks come from Mexico.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

...GM this fall began making the hatchback version of the Cruze in Ramos Arizpe. The model represents less than 10% of GM’s overall sales of the Cruze, one of GM’s top-selling cars....

Donald Trump Targets GM on Chevy Cruzes Imported From Mexico
http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-targets-gm-on-chevy-cruzes-imported-from-mexico-1483448986

- - - - - - - - - - -

...Ending the 1994 trade pact is relatively easy. The U.S. legally can pull out of Nafta six months after Mr. Trump as president notifies Mexico and Canada of his intention to do so, according to a September study by the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. Imposing tariffs on imports lies within the authority of U.S. presidents....

Donald Trump’s Nafta Plan Would Confront Globalized Auto Industry
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-nafta-plan-would-confront-globalized-auto-industry-1478800848
Nov. 10, 2016

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

Somebody needs to attach a portable lie-detector to Trump---preferably one with an alarm that will start buzzing every time he strays from the truth.

Trump Twists The Truth To Slam GM For Outsourcing

http://www.dailywire.com/news/12098/trump-twists-truth-slam-gm-outsourcing-ben-shapiro

"...So either Trump was cherry-picking a minor situation, or he was fibbing by implying that the Chevy Cruze at your local dealer is actually made in Mexico (it almost certainly isn’t). But in either case, this is ugly politics: it’s Trump threatening yet another company for committing the supposedly grave sin of acting in free market ways."

"...It doesn’t look like Trump has any intention of ceasing his picking-winners-and-losers economic mercantilism. As president, look for him to pressure more and more private companies in ways Republicans used to protest.

Offline cato potatoe

Trump seems intent on making us pay more for things we need, and giving us less freedom to buy stuff we want.  It's none of his business where GM makes or sells their cars.  He needs to hop in a time machine to the 1970s and stay there.

Offline thackney

Ford cancels Mexico plant. Will create 700 U.S. jobs in ‘vote of confidence’ in Trump
http://fox2now.com/2017/01/03/ford-cancels-mexico-plant-will-create-700-u-s-jobs-in-vote-of-confidence-in-trump/

Ford is canceling plans to build a new plant in Mexico. It will invest $700 million in Michigan instead, creating 700 new U.S. jobs.

Ford CEO Mark Fields said the investment is a “vote of confidence” in the pro-business environment president-elect Donald Trump is creating. However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with Trump.

“We didn’t cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business,” Fields told CNN’s Poppy Harlow in an exclusive interview Tuesday.

The $700 million investment will go to the Flat Rock, Michigan plant to produce more electric and self-driving cars. Ford believes electric vehicles will outsell gasoline-powered vehicles within the next 15 years.

“I am thrilled that we have been able to secure additional UAW-Ford jobs for American workers,” said Jimmy Settles, United Auto Workers vice president.

Last year, Ford announced it would invest $1.6 billion in Mexico to build the Ford Focus. Instead, the Focus will be built at an existing plant in Mexico, and Ford will expand its plant in Flat Rock....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Trump seems intent on making us pay more for things we need, and giving us less freedom to buy stuff we want.  It's none of his business where GM makes or sells their cars.  He needs to hop in a time machine to the 1970s and stay there.

He has admitted that things will "cost a little more". The problem is that what he considers to be a little more is probably a whole lot more than what I consider to be a little more.

Vehicles made in Canada in 2015

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/auto-auto.nsf/eng/am02365.html

Offline Night Hides Not

Ford cancels Mexico plant. Will create 700 U.S. jobs in ‘vote of confidence’ in Trump
http://fox2now.com/2017/01/03/ford-cancels-mexico-plant-will-create-700-u-s-jobs-in-vote-of-confidence-in-trump/

Ford is canceling plans to build a new plant in Mexico. It will invest $700 million in Michigan instead, creating 700 new U.S. jobs.

Ford CEO Mark Fields said the investment is a “vote of confidence” in the pro-business environment president-elect Donald Trump is creating. However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with Trump.

“We didn’t cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business,” Fields told CNN’s Poppy Harlow in an exclusive interview Tuesday.

The $700 million investment will go to the Flat Rock, Michigan plant to produce more electric and self-driving cars. Ford believes electric vehicles will outsell gasoline-powered vehicles within the next 15 years.

“I am thrilled that we have been able to secure additional UAW-Ford jobs for American workers,” said Jimmy Settles, United Auto Workers vice president.

Last year, Ford announced it would invest $1.6 billion in Mexico to build the Ford Focus. Instead, the Focus will be built at an existing plant in Mexico, and Ford will expand its plant in Flat Rock....

IOW, Trump made them a "deal" they couldn't refuse. Not much difference to what GE was doing during the Obama years, though I'm sure Jeff Immelt would disagree.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
And THAT, my friends, is why General Motors should NEVER have been bailed out.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
IOW, Trump made them a "deal" they couldn't refuse. Not much difference to what GE was doing during the Obama years, though I'm sure Jeff Immelt would disagree.

Ford is just throwing the idiot a bone to appease him. Anybody who has been around the automotive industry knows that these companies don't make these big decisions at the spur of the moment. This particular decision has been debated. studied tested and simulated for at least a year.

I have a friend who has worked at a River Rouge Ford plant 3 times plus 2 other Ford plants over nearly 30 years. When a job would end Ford would lay him off and he would draw unemployment or the union would get him into another Ford plant. (Job protectionism is one of my problems with unions)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Myst is correct -  Cruze sedans sold here are assembled here, but not the new Cruze hatchback.   I know because I shopped one recently as a possible replacement vehicle,  but told the dealer I'd look elsewhere for a hatch because the Cruze isn't made here.   (Ironically, the only similarly-sized hatch made here is the Ford Focus (there's also the Chevy Sonic, which is a smaller car.)   In the end,  I got a used 2009 Cadillac SRX,  at more than a two-thirds discount from the original sticker price.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Night Hides Not

Best Photoshop I've seen this year!

:tongue2:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
So should airbus, Honda, and BMW pull their plants out of the us? Trump is a dope.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trump-gm-chevrolet-cruze/2017/01/03/id/766525/
GM Fires Back at Trump: All Cruze Sedans Are US-Made

General Motors has issued a response to President-elect Donald Trump's claim that the company's Chevrolet Cruze models are built in Mexico and imported tax-free to the U.S.

GM says all Cruze sedans sold here are made in Lordstown, Ohio, while a small number of Cruze hatchbacks come from Mexico.

Ohhh, who to believe?  General Motors or Trump?  I think I'll believe General Motors this time, while wishing Trump would take a minute to get his facts straight before tweeting.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Night Hides Not

Ohhh, who to believe?  General Motors or Trump?  I think I'll believe General Motors this time, while wishing Trump would take a minute to get his facts straight before tweeting.

Facts don't matter in TrumpWorld.

geronl

Trump is going to be the worst President ever if he keeps this up

geronl

Myst is correct -  Cruze sedans sold here are assembled here, but not the new Cruze hatchback.   I know because I shopped one recently as a possible replacement vehicle,  but told the dealer I'd look elsewhere for a hatch because the Cruze isn't made here. 

% of it US made if likely similar

Offline CSM

I was blindsided by this today.  Many here, and in other places, will say that this is "wonderful news" and they will credit Trump.  The reality of this change in the Ford manufacturing assembly plant footprint is VERY bad news for Ford.  What this really means is that they are cancelling their capacity expansion in North America.  Their current capacity is approximately 2.6M vehicles for NA production, the Mexico expansion would have increased their capacity to 3.6M units.  That is a 38% increase in capacity.

Ford had been working on executing this strategy for nearly 3 years and this change in direction is very far along the product development curve.  A change this large at this time in the PD curve, is a signal of a very bad economic forecast.  This is a signal of a coming softening in the automotive industry.  I would guess that the forecasters are looking at it hitting around mid 2018 and lasting through 2020.  If that softening is the leading edge of a recession, and that causes the market bubble to burst, then we are looking at a very bad economic outlook for the 2020 election, with the incumbent Republican taking the brunt of the blame for the situation.

I'm not saying that Trump will be to blame, but the timing will cause the  blame to fall on him nonetheless...

Offline Night Hides Not

Ford believes electric vehicles will outsell gasoline-powered vehicles within the next 15 years.

Doubtful.

This company acts as if its run by the same people that run the Detroit Lions.   :facepalm: