Author Topic: Take a Virtual Ride in the Cockpit on the F-4 Phantom's Retirement Flight. Truly the end of an era.  (Read 1066 times)

rangerrebew

Take a Virtual Ride in the Cockpit on the F-4 Phantom's Retirement Flight
Truly the end of an era.
By Tyler RogowayDecember 22, 2016

The War ZoneQF-4PhantomsF-4sFinal FlightsRetirementsHolloman AFBQF-16cockpit video

We have been talking about it all year—the F-4 Phantom’s long awaited retirement from the Pentagon’s active inventory. The QF-4s of the 82nd Aerial Targets Squadron made a triumphant round of visits to air shows across the US this year, giving the American people one last chance to glimpse the “Bent Wing Wonder” in action. It was one last hurrah for what would be an emotional end to a stunning career. Yesterday, on December 21st, 2016, the Phantom’s service finally came to an end with a ceremony at Holloman Air Force base marking the bittersweet milestone.

Although the type was officially retired from front-line service 20 years ago, over 300 surplus Phantoms were converted by BAE Systems into QF-4 full-scale aerial targets (FSAT). These optionally manned jets played the invaluable role of acting as fodder for the testing of America’s newest missile and missile countermeasure technologies.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:56:06 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Dartman

rangerrebow

Thanks for finding this. Really good quality videos.
My favourite aircraft, ever. The last all-purpose jet (IMHO).
It could do it all.
Justin Trudeau and Barack Obama say "ISIL". The rest of the world says "ISIS". Hmmm ...

rangerrebew

rangerrebow

Thanks for finding this. Really good quality videos.
My favourite aircraft, ever. The last all-purpose jet (IMHO).
It could do it all.

As someone who slept under the number 3 arresting gear, I can tell you those Phantoms were not light and breezy when they landed. :patriot:

geronl

As someone who slept under the number 3 arresting gear, I can tell you those Phantoms were not light and breezy when they landed. :patriot:

I've seen posts from people saying it was a brick with huge engines.

Offline jpsb

Back in the day I used to watch them take off at Gitmo, loud is an understatement. Fun to watch them kick on the after burner and haul ass.