Author Topic: When James Mattis Gave Away His Dinner  (Read 328 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
When James Mattis Gave Away His Dinner
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:26:12 pm »
When James Mattis Gave Away His Dinner
A story of character.

5:30 AM, Dec 31, 2016 | By Frances Tilney Burke

Character is often revealed in seemingly small gestures. Amid all the speculation about how retired Marine general James Mattis will manage to lead the behemoth called the Department of Defense, one personal experience I had a decade ago as a young staffer in the office of the Secretary of Defense sticks in my mind as a demonstration of Mattis's natural leadership ability. It was also an act of pure kindness I have never forgotten.

After the invasion of Iraq in 2003, as large numbers of wounded warriors started to come home to the United States to recuperate at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, my boss, Paul Wolfowitz, then deputy secretary of Defense, wanted the wounded service members and their families to know how much their sacrifices were appreciated. In addition to regular visits to Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval Hospital, he frequently attended "Friday night dinners" hosted by two Vietnam veterans at a local restaurant they owned. There, he met some of the wounded service members and their families, particularly to learn about the challenges they faced trying to deal with a "nineteenth century bureaucracy" so unlike the twenty-first century medical care they were getting from some gifted military doctors. Accompanied by his close friend and senior military assistant, Brigadier General Frank Helmick, the pair were often able to assist the wounded warriors in overcoming an obstinate bureaucracy.

more
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/when-james-mattis-gave-away-his-dinner/article/2006091
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bolobaby

Re: When James Mattis Gave Away His Dinner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:55:02 pm »
My mission, my men, myself.

He knows it.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: When James Mattis Gave Away His Dinner
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:10:24 am »
Good story...