Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209834 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1775 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:40 pm »
RIP: Bruce Brown, 1937-2017: Iconic California surf filmmaker passes away (The Endless Summer)

Drew Kampion
Surfline
December 11, 2017

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Official site

RIP Bruce Brown. Loved his work.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1776 on: December 11, 2017, 04:10:23 pm »
In memory of Bruce Brown, and in honour of his signature film . . .

The Beach Boys, "Surf's Up"
! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1777 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:01 am »
Pat DiNizio, The Smithereens Lead Singer, Dies at 62

Pat DiNizio, lead singer of The Smithereens, has died. He was 62.

The death of the singer, songwriter and founding member of the band was announced on his Facebook page Tuesday night.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Pat DiNizio, lead singer and songwriter of the influential New Jersey rock band, The Smithereens – America’s Band,” the post said.

https://www.thewrap.com/pat-dinizio-smithereens-lead-singer-dies-62/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #1778 on: December 13, 2017, 12:13:09 pm »
Damn. I loved The Smithereens. I had a chance to see them in concert at venue in Annapolis, MD but couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me. I should have gone anyway.   :crying:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1779 on: December 13, 2017, 02:59:06 pm »
Damn. I loved The Smithereens. I had a chance to see them in concert at venue in Annapolis, MD but couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me. I should have gone anyway.   :crying:

We are coming to that time where iconic rockers are coming to that age of mortality,,,,  plus add the hard partying lifestyle.

This year's Tom Petty passing probably affected me the most of this type since John Lennon.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1780 on: December 13, 2017, 03:09:49 pm »
Last year was the tough one for me.  Keith Emerson committed suicide and Greg Lake died of cancer within months of each other.  2/3 of my favorite Prog Rock band, <Poof!>
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1781 on: December 13, 2017, 03:31:25 pm »
Last year was the tough one for me.  Keith Emerson committed suicide and Greg Lake died of cancer within months of each other.  2/3 of my favorite Prog Rock band, <Poof!>

As a musician, I can honestly say that ELP collectively had the most talent (musically) of any rock band in history.  (Close behind are Rush, Pink Floyd, and Yes). 

They may have not made the best music, but there is no denying they being the best at what they did.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1782 on: December 13, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
Now that I'm 65, I think 60 plus years old is still young.  Seems many rockers are gone even before they reach 60.  And then we have rappers like that kid Lil Peep -- dead in his early 20s.

Is it the hard living lifestyle?  Perhaps.  But then there is David Crosby who partied hardy and he's still kicking despite diabetes and a liver transplant.    Tony Bennett is still performing in his 90s.  Johnny Mathis is in his 80s.  The rock n roll lifestyle was around when Bennett and Mathis were in their prime and they did their share of bad stuff.  Yet they are still alive and still singing.  Why did all of these guys escape an early death when so many younger ones are gone too soon?

I guess we mortals will never understand and maybe we aren't meant to.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1783 on: December 13, 2017, 03:43:01 pm »
The rock n roll lifestyle was around when Bennett and Mathis were in their prime and they did their share of bad stuff.  Yet they are still alive and still singing.  Why did all of these guys escape an early death when so many younger ones are gone too soon?

I guess we mortals will never understand and maybe we aren't meant to.

Never really considered those two rockers, or in the circle of musical types who typically abused drugs.

Of course Keith Richards has been able to defy all odds and expectations.  He should have died long ago.  Mortality is puzzling in many ways.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1784 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »
We are coming to that time where iconic rockers are coming to that age of mortality,,,,  plus add the hard partying lifestyle.

This year's Tom Petty passing probably affected me the most of this type since John Lennon.

Yep.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1785 on: December 13, 2017, 03:52:50 pm »
As a musician, I can honestly say that ELP collectively had the most talent (musically) of any rock band in history.  (Close behind are Rush, Pink Floyd, and Yes). 

They may have not made the best music, but there is no denying they being the best at what they did.

They were very good, but it's been a while since I've listened to them.

Every year is another snub at the R&R HOF....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1786 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:45 pm »
They were very good, but it's been a while since I've listened to them.

Every year is another snub at the R&R HOF....

The R & R HOF is basically run by the idiots at Rolling Stone.  They can't like something they can't understand. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1787 on: December 13, 2017, 04:06:00 pm »
Never really considered those two rockers, or in the circle of musical types who typically abused drugs.

Of course Keith Richards has been able to defy all odds and expectations.  He should have died long ago.  Mortality is puzzling in many ways.

Make no mistake.  Even non-rockers have been affected by drugs, booze and indiscriminate sex.  Those things didn't start with rock n roll.  They've been around for years.

As to Keith Richards, there are some who joke that he really died years ago, but he is reanimated every time he's needed to perform.    LOL

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1788 on: December 13, 2017, 04:20:27 pm »
Make no mistake.  Even non-rockers have been affected by drugs, booze and indiscriminate sex.  Those things didn't start with rock n roll.  They've been around for years.

As to Keith Richards, there are some who joke that he really died years ago, but he is reanimated every time he's needed to perform.    LOL

Agreed, but the "rock and roll lifestyle" is pretty much synonymous with taking this to the extreme.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1789 on: December 13, 2017, 04:51:30 pm »
The R & R HOF is basically run by the idiots at Rolling Stone.  They can't like something they can't understand.

RS haaaaaated ELP.  Never could figure out their problem.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1790 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:30 am »

@catfish1957

I would disagree with any group being more musically gifted than Pink Floyd,but I would also put ELO's Jeff Lynnne and Steve Winwood on that list.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:24:53 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1791 on: December 14, 2017, 04:28:10 am »

Back when Tony Bennett was young,all the white hep cats were smoking reefer.

As for Keef,he is maybe/probably the toughest man who ever lived. I am in absolute awe of his survival abilities.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1792 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:02 am »
Back when Tony Bennett was young,all the white hep cats were smoking reefer.

As for Keef,he is maybe/probably the toughest man who ever lived. I am in absolute awe of his survival abilities.

Keith Richards?  Never heard of her.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1793 on: December 14, 2017, 12:34:55 pm »

Keith Richards?  Never heard of her.

Ginger Baker is still alive? 

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1794 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:35 pm »
Former Atlanta Falcons, Texas great Tommy Nobis dies at 74

ATLANTA (AP) — Tommy Nobis, the first player drafted by the expansion Atlanta Falcons and a hard-hitting middle linebacker who was never fully recognized for his talents on a struggling franchise that failed to make the playoffs during his long career, died Wednesday. He was 74.

A native of San Antonio who sported a red-headed crew cut, Nobis starred on both sides of the line at the University of Texas, where his No. 60 is one of six numbers retired by the school. Despite being slowed by a knee injury during his senior season, he won the Maxwell Award as the nation's best all-around player and the Outland Trophy as top lineman. He also finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy balloting — highest among those who played defense — and appeared on the cover of Life and Sports Illustrated.

excerpted, more at the link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/13/former-atlanta-falcons-great-tommy-nobis-dies-at-74/108572034/
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1795 on: December 14, 2017, 01:55:37 pm »
Former Atlanta Falcons, Texas great Tommy Nobis dies at 74

ATLANTA (AP) — Tommy Nobis, the first player drafted by the expansion Atlanta Falcons and a hard-hitting middle linebacker who was never fully recognized for his talents on a struggling franchise that failed to make the playoffs during his long career, died Wednesday. He was 74.

A native of San Antonio who sported a red-headed crew cut, Nobis starred on both sides of the line at the University of Texas, where his No. 60 is one of six numbers retired by the school. Despite being slowed by a knee injury during his senior season, he won the Maxwell Award as the nation's best all-around player and the Outland Trophy as top lineman. He also finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy balloting — highest among those who played defense — and appeared on the cover of Life and Sports Illustrated.

excerpted, more at the link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/13/former-atlanta-falcons-great-tommy-nobis-dies-at-74/108572034/

Hook 'em.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1796 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:45 pm »
Ginger Baker is still alive?
Yes, strangely enough. If you're thinking of Cream, bassist/composer Jack Bruce was the first
to go . . .

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1797 on: December 14, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »

"He should have died long ago."

I think he did die decades ago. Ever hear of Zombie Keith? 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1798 on: December 15, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1799 on: December 15, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »
Macon Brock, Dollar Tree Store Founder has passed away at 75.

http://www.richmond.com/ap/state/dollar-tree-co-founder-and-randolph-macon-college-benefactor-macon/article_2f9d640b-3ed3-55f8-bc35-dc2fbfdcc964.html
They're one of the last national holdouts on the "everything's $1" business model. They just opened one up in my area a few months ago. Although I liked it better about a decade ago when there was one in the town where I went to college (that's what inflation does, of course), there are still a few surprisingly good deals available.

It does make me wonder how much longer that model will be able to hold out before it goes the way of the five-and-dime.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024