Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209927 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1250 on: August 13, 2017, 03:16:29 pm »
Blanche Blackwell, mistress and muse of James Bond's creator, dies at 104
By Matt Schudel The Washington Post 17 hrs ago

Fascinating... http://www.roanoke.com/news/blanche-blackwell-mistress-and-muse-of-james-bond-s-creator/article_92d89725-1768-5ea9-8945-6c2381bb0a19.html

@Suppressed

YIKES! I just did an image search of her to see what this great beauty looked like,and now I suspect that Flemming was either into cross-dressers,or maybe even male horses. She definitely had one of those long "horse faces" the English are sometimes known for.

It is more likely he was attracted to her for reasons other than her physical charms,though. They were already mature adults when they met,so it's even probable.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1251 on: August 13, 2017, 04:03:25 pm »
@Suppressed

YIKES! I just did an image search of her to see what this great beauty looked like,and now I suspect that Flemming was either into cross-dressers,or maybe even male horses. She definitely had one of those long "horse faces" the English are sometimes known for.

It is more likely he was attracted to her for reasons other than her physical charms,though. They were already mature adults when they met,so it's even probable.

The first thing he asked her was whether she was a lesbian!  :laugh:

But she was very athletic, which he liked...a bit masculine. 

Yes, there's more than looks to grab the heart!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1252 on: August 13, 2017, 05:08:43 pm »
The first thing he asked her was whether she was a lesbian!  :laugh:

But she was very athletic, which he liked...a bit masculine. 

Yes, there's more than looks to grab the heart!

Yes, indeed.  Just at Mr. Fleming.

Wingnut

« Reply #1253 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:37 pm »
Yes, indeed.  Just at Mr. Fleming.

Not exactly a fine physical specimen was he!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #1254 on: August 13, 2017, 07:09:37 pm »
Not exactly a fine physical specimen was he!

Knew a hundred different ways to kill you with his bare hands .... he didn't need to look imposing.  ^-^
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1255 on: August 13, 2017, 08:08:15 pm »
Knew a hundred different ways to kill you with his bare hands .... he didn't need to look imposing.  ^-^
Funny thing about spies. The best ones are the people you think were there, but can't describe, offhand. They are so inconspicuous as to stand out if you are really paying attention.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #1256 on: August 13, 2017, 08:19:35 pm »

I suspect him "knowing" in his flabby years were a long distant memory of his doing years.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1257 on: August 13, 2017, 08:22:29 pm »
I suspect him "knowing" in his flabby years were a long distant memory of his doing years.
How many ways would he need? You get just as dead if a flabby guy kills you as you do if the killer is ready for the Mr. Universe competition.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1258 on: August 13, 2017, 08:28:21 pm »
How many ways would he need? You get just as dead if a flabby guy kills you as you do if the killer is ready for the Mr. Universe competition.

This thread took an odd turn.  Sometimes it's hard to see where that turn happened.  Not so in this case.

:silly:

Wingnut

« Reply #1259 on: August 13, 2017, 08:30:08 pm »

I suspect Stealth helps.   Hard to kill you if you can out run a fat old fart with a cigarette holder who looks like Truman Capote.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1260 on: August 13, 2017, 08:34:52 pm »
I suspect Stealth helps.   Hard to kill you if you can out run a fat old fart with a cigarette holder who looks like Truman Capote.
Stealth. If he's just standing there, minding his own business and you don't suspect the flabby guy...game over.
Otherwise, that speeding bullet thing comes to mind...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:35:22 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #1261 on: August 13, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
Stealth. If he's just standing there, minding his own business and you don't suspect the flabby guy...game over.
Otherwise, that speeding bullet thing comes to mind...

Stop.

This all 
This thread took an odd turn.  Sometimes it's hard to see where that turn happened.  Not so in this case.

:silly:

Her fault!   I was just trying to show my feminine side and agree he was no Catch either.....

Besides...Chuck Norris could kick his ass.  Damn you @Sanguine
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:43:29 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1262 on: August 13, 2017, 08:44:26 pm »
Stop.

This all 
Her fault!   I was just trying to show my feminine side and agree he was no Catch either.....

Besides...Chuck Norris could kick his ass.  Damn you @Sanguine

I appreciate the help, but some things you might want to keep to yourself....

Wingnut

« Reply #1263 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:56 pm »
I appreciate the help, but some things you might want to keep to yourself....

You are on your own sister. :smokin:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:19:47 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1264 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:27 pm »
Joseph Bologna, 'My Favorite Year' Actor and Oscar-Nominated Screenwriter, Dies at 82

Joseph Bologna, an actor, playwright and screenwriter who was so memorable as the egotistical King Kaiser in the 1982 comedy classic My Favorite Year, has died. He was 82.

Bologna died Sunday morning at City of Hope hospital in Duarte, Calif. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer three years ago, said his wife of 52 years, actress and screenwriter Renee Taylor.

Bologna received an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay, shared with his wife and David Zelag Goodman, for his work on Lovers and Other Strangers (1970). The couple had first written it for Broadway in a 1968 production directed by Charles Grodin.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:31:44 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1265 on: August 14, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
Lovers and Other Strangers is among my favorite movies.  Being part Italian myself, I got a kick out of the Italian parents, particularly the scenes where they each are in the confessional.  Brilliant. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Bologna.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1266 on: August 17, 2017, 01:44:49 am »
Tom Hawkins, who played for Lakers, worked for Dodgers, passes at 80

Staff and news service reports
Orange County Register
August 16, 2017

Tom Hawkins, who played six seasons for the Lakers, worked as a broadcaster in L.A. and later served as a Dodgers executive, passed away at his home in Malibu on Wednesday. He was 80.

A 6-foot-5 forward, Hawkins starred at Chicago’s Parker (now Robeson) High School before playing at Notre Dame, where he became the first African-American student-athlete to earn All-America honors for the Fighting Irish.

Hawkins was the first Irish player to average in double figures for scoring and rebounding during each of his three seasons (freshmen were ineligible during his collegiate career). His 1,318 career rebounds remains the oldest standing program record.

Hawkins graduated with a sociology degree and was selected by the then-Minneapolis Lakers with the third pick in the first round of the 1959 NBA draft. “The Hawk” enjoyed a productive 10-year career in the league, and played one season in Minnesota, before moving with the team to Los Angeles.
More

Wikipedia

NBA career stats

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1267 on: August 19, 2017, 04:39:00 pm »
Bruce Forsyth, transcontinental MC, dies at 89

With a career spanning 75 years, Forsyth is recognized in Guinness World Records as having the longest career of any entertainer, which is probably disputable. While he had some brief work in the United States (perhaps most recognizably as the host of the 1986 game show Hot Streak!, which he took over from a blacklisted Gene Rayburn), Forsyth was far better known in his native Britain, where he hosted a number of game shows (including British versions of Card Sharks and The Price Is Right) and the dancing contest Strictly Come Dancing, the forerunner of America's Dancing with the Stars.

Forsyth died of complications due to old age on August 18.

Death notice from the Daily Mail

IMDB

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1268 on: August 19, 2017, 04:52:47 pm »
Bruce Forsyth, transcontinental MC, dies at 89

With a career spanning 75 years, Forsyth is recognized in Guinness World Records as having the longest career of any entertainer, which is probably disputable. While he had some brief work in the United States (perhaps most recognizably as the host of the 1986 game show Hot Streak!, which he took over from a blacklisted Gene Rayburn), Forsyth was far better known in his native Britain, where he hosted a number of game shows (including British versions of Card Sharks and The Price Is Right) and the dancing contest Strictly Come Dancing, the forerunner of America's Dancing with the Stars.

Forsyth died of complications due to old age on August 18.

Death notice from the Daily Mail

IMDB

Wikipedia

I just read a couple of bios of Gene Rayburn, and I couldn't find anything about his being Blacklisted (he worked until shortly before his death).  What was that about?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:53:19 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1269 on: August 19, 2017, 05:40:45 pm »
I just read a couple of bios of Gene Rayburn, and I couldn't find anything about his being Blacklisted (he worked until shortly before his death).  What was that about?
The story goes that around 1985, he'd just been fired from a little game show called Break the Bank in a huge fight with the producers, and was not exactly thrilled with another game show he'd done a year before that. About the same time, and I've never been able to confirm this, but a TV reporter allegedly leaked his age at the time (he was in his late 60s, something he didn't like admitting because he was afraid it would cost him work).

Between the behind-the-scenes fighting and what Rayburn blamed on age discrimination, he would only host a TV show one more time in his lifetime (an inconsequential cable game known as The Movie Masters that lasted only a few weeks), even though he was certainly interested in doing so. Rayburn was a liberal to be sure but the blacklisting wasn't because of Communism.

Thus, when Hot Streak went into production in early 1986, Reg Grundy (Australian producer) instead decided to hire Bruce Forsyth in what would be his first and only U.S. hosting gig. Grundy would continue to work with Forsyth on UK game shows.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:16:44 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1270 on: August 19, 2017, 05:51:52 pm »
The story goes that around 1985, he'd just been fired from a little game show called Break the Bank in a huge fight with the producers, and was not exactly thrilled with another game show he'd done a year before that. About the same time, and I've never been able to confirm this, but a TV reporter allegedly leaked his age at the time (he was in his late 60s, something he didn't like admitting because he was afraid it would cost him work).

Between the behind-the-scenes fighting and what Rayburn blamed on age discrimination, he would only host a TV show one more time in his lifetime (an inconsequential cable game known as The Movie Masters that lasted only a few weeks), even though he was certainly interested in doing so. Rayburn was a liberal to be sure but the blacklisting wasn't because of Communism.

Yes, there were complaints about his personality, and it probably cost him some gigs.  He was not the out-ward friendly guy people thought he was.   Apparently he had a legendary feud going with Richard Dawson, but this is all normal stuff in that business.  And, he did work until shortly before his death, I guess he was considered pretty young when he died.  His last work wasn't game shows, it was walk-ons like Love boat and the like.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1271 on: August 19, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »
Half forgotten fact about Gene Rayburn---he was the original second banana (and announcer, for Steve Allen) on The Tonight Show.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:03:21 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1272 on: August 19, 2017, 07:05:30 pm »
Half forgotten fact about Gene Rayburn---he was the original second banana (and announcer, for Steve Allen) on The Tonight Show.

Occasionally watch Buzz TV which has old Match Game reruns.

amazing how much has changed in over 40 years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1273 on: August 19, 2017, 07:31:33 pm »
Occasionally watch Buzz TV which has old Match Game reruns.

amazing how much has changed in over 40 years.

It amazed me that he and Dawson really disliked each other.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1274 on: August 19, 2017, 08:05:27 pm »
It amazed me that he and Dawson really disliked each other.
@Cyber Liberty
It wasn't really between Rayburn and Dawson . . . it was between Dawson and The Match Game's production
staff, after Mark Goodson (who produced The Match Game, then still with his longtime partner Bill Todman)
tapped Dawson to host the newly-created Family Feud in 1976, and that show became a runaway hit. The problem:
Dawson was also under contract as a Match Game panelist for both its daytime and nighttime versions, and
he was feeling burned out enough to ask to be let out of his Match Game contract. When his request was
refused, Dawson rebelled by becoming sullen on set, refusing to flirt or joke with the show's contestants, and
refusing to speak to the show's co-panelists, until his Match Game contract expired in 1978. Gene Rayburn
may have been dismayed by Dawson's act, but Dawson's real feud, if you will, was with the show's production
staff and with Goodson-Todman, though Family Feud's success didn't exactly mean Dawson and Goodson
would be mortal enemies, either.

The Goodson-Todman partnership ended only when Bill Todman succumbed to heart disease in 1979. I once saw
a funny story about Todman from the network radio years, when Goodson-Todman first teamed up to produce
game shows on radio. Todman was carrying an armload of small appliances up into the CBS building in New
York, to be prizes on a couple of the early Goodson-Todman radio games, when he stumbled on one step and the
appliances crashed to the steps below. CBS's Goodman Ace---a legend of radio comedy as a writer (and, on his
own Easy Aces, co-performer with wife Jane), then running a CBS workshop for comedy writing (Neil Simon
was one of his students), and eventually to become Perry Como's head writer on television (he once cracked it
was difficult to put any humour into "We now take you to exotic Brazil")---happened to see the accident and
hollered out, "Hey, Todman, you dropped your script!"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.