Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209857 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1150 on: August 03, 2017, 08:34:10 pm »
The first album I ever bought (with babysitting money) was Steppenwolf Gold.  Still have it as a matter of fact.
My first Steppenwolf album was . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxjv4K2DOE

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1151 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:34 pm »
John Kay had one of the greatest voices in rock. I wish Steppenwolf had recorded a lot more music.  I put their greatest hits on my MP3 player.
The last thing I heard about McJohn after he left Steppenwolf was that for a while he was working at a golf driving range. He was one of the guys in the cage picking up the balls.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1152 on: August 03, 2017, 09:04:38 pm »
Cornelius Fudge died.

We don't send people to Azkaban for blowing up their aunt.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40818839

Looks like he was a real, talented, and classically trained actor. Getting to be so rare today.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #1153 on: August 03, 2017, 09:18:37 pm »
John Kay had one of the greatest voices in rock. I wish Steppenwolf had recorded a lot more music.  I put their greatest hits on my MP3 player.
The last thing I heard about McJohn after he left Steppenwolf was that for a while he was working at a golf driving range. He was one of the guys in the cage picking up the balls.

:pondering:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:07:17 am by Wingnut »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1154 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:29 am »
Cornelius Fudge died.

Really enjoyed him in All Creatures Great And Small, RIP Siegfried.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1155 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:18 pm »
Daniel Licht, ‘Dexter,’ ‘Children of the Corn’ Composer, Dies at 60
Jon Burlingame     AUGUST 3, 2017 | 09:36PM PT
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/daniel-licht-composer-dexter-children-of-the-corn-composer-dead-1202515585/

Daniel Licht, composer for TV’s “Dexter,” died of cancer late Wednesday. He was 60.

Licht scored all eight seasons of “Dexter,” the Showtime serial-killer drama, from 2006 to 2013. Although he also wrote music for movies and other TV projects, it was his quirky music for “Dexter” – employing unusual sounds using bones, knives, scissors, duct tape, wine glasses, didgeridoo, Irish harp and other instruments – that became his best-known work.

Excerpt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1156 on: August 04, 2017, 02:39:34 pm »
Cornelius Fudge died.

@Restored

It should also be noted that he served with Richard Burton as enlisted men in the RAF during WW-2. IMHO,this is and was no small thing.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1157 on: August 04, 2017, 02:42:24 pm »
Daniel Licht, ‘Dexter,’ ‘Children of the Corn’ Composer, Dies at 60
Jon Burlingame     AUGUST 3, 2017 | 09:36PM PT
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/daniel-licht-composer-dexter-children-of-the-corn-composer-dead-1202515585/

Daniel Licht, composer for TV’s “Dexter,” died of cancer late Wednesday. He was 60.

Licht scored all eight seasons of “Dexter,” the Showtime serial-killer drama, from 2006 to 2013. Although he also wrote music for movies and other TV projects, it was his quirky music for “Dexter” – employing unusual sounds using bones, knives, scissors, duct tape, wine glasses, didgeridoo, Irish harp and other instruments – that became his best-known work.

Excerpt.
That's really strange....the wife and I recently finished watching the entire Dexter series. The theme song  ran in my head every morning after a previous evening's viewing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:43:05 pm by goatprairie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1158 on: August 04, 2017, 02:43:04 pm »
Looks like he was a real, talented, and classically trained actor. Getting to be so rare today.

@Free Vulcan

If you think that,you don't watch many BBC productions. The British take their acting VERY seriously. IF they hire a lead that is either handsome or beautiful,that is nothing more than a happy coincidence because their PRIME goal is to hire the best actors they can find,regardless of the status of the role. No airheads there with supporting actors carrying them. In fact,no second-string actors in sight anywhere.

Don't believe me? Just watch anything from the BBC on PBS and see for yourself.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1159 on: August 04, 2017, 02:46:27 pm »
@Free Vulcan

If you think that,you don't watch many BBC productions. The British take their acting VERY seriously. IF they hire a lead that is either handsome or beautiful,that is nothing more than a happy coincidence because their PRIME goal is to hire the best actors they can find,regardless of the status of the role. No airheads there with supporting actors carrying them. In fact,no second-string actors in sight anywhere.

I was surprised recently to read about some young, prominent British actor who was a method actor.  I always remember reading about Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman during the making of "The Marathon Man."
During one scene Hoffman was having trouble doing his lines and remarked out loud that he couldn't find his motivation.
Olivier supposedly retorted why didn't he try acting.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1160 on: August 04, 2017, 02:46:33 pm »
@Free Vulcan

I agree and I like watching people who look like people.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1161 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »
I agree and I like watching people who look like people.

@Sanguine

Me,too. How believable are gritty dramas when all you see running around are super models with impeccable makeup and hair,faking karate kicks while wearing 6 inch heels,and beating the hell out of a half-dozen 300 lb thugs with weapons? That crap is more of a cartoon than a drama.

If you want to see genuine scary,check out "Alice" (Ruth Wilson) in the "Luther" series. She plays a murdering sociopath opposite Idris Elba,who is the homicide detective that first tried to arrest her for murder. Elba is a big,scary-looking guy that used to be a professional boxer,but it's Alice that is the scary one. Hell,she scared ME,and I KNEW it wasn't real and I was watching it on tv. Elba seemed to have no problem at all treating her as the scary one,either.

Ruth Wilson is something with bells on. Anything she is in is worth watching. Yeah,she is attractive,but no one will ever confuse her with being a model or great beauty. She IS one HELL of a talented actress,though.

One other thing I like about the British dramas is they never seem to play to any other stereotypes,either. ANY of the characters can die off at any time with no advance warning. 

In other words,it's kinda like real life.

BTW,if you get a chance,watch or buy the DVD's for the series "MI-5". Just might be the best dramatic series ever aired on tv.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:00:34 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1162 on: August 04, 2017, 03:01:35 pm »
@Sanguine

Me,too. How believable are gritty dramas when all you see running around are super models with impeccable makeup and hair,faking karate kicks while wearing 6 inch heels,and beating the hell out of a half-dozen 300 lb thugs with weapons? That crap is more of a cartoon than a drama.

If you want to see genuine scary,check out "Alice" (Ruth Wilson) in the "Luther" series. She plays a murdering sociopath opposite Idris Elba,who is the homicide detective that first tried to arrest her for murder. Elba is a big,scary-looking guy that used to be a professional boxer,but it's Alice that is the scary one. Hell,she scared ME,and I KNEW it wasn't real and I was watching it on tv. Elba seemed to have no problem at all treating her as the scary one,either.

Ruth Wilson is something with bells on. Anything she is in is worth watching. Yeah,she is attractive,but no one will ever confuse her with being a model or great beauty. She IS one HELL of a talented actress,though.

One other thing I like about the British dramas is they never seem to play to any other stereotypes,either. ANY of the characters can die off at any time with no advance warning. 

In other words,it's kinda like real life.

BTW,if you get a chance,watch or buy the DVD's for the series "MI-5". Just might be the best dramatic series ever aired on tv.

I'd forgotten Luther.  That was good, but brutal.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1163 on: August 04, 2017, 10:38:35 pm »
I'd forgotten Luther.  That was good, but brutal.

@Sanguine

But believable.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #1164 on: August 05, 2017, 12:37:31 am »
@Restored

It should also be noted that he served with Richard Burton as enlisted men in the RAF during WW-2. IMHO,this is and was no small thing.
No service in WWII was a small thing, but the war was over by the time he returned from flight school.

"Hardy won a place at Magdalen College, Oxford, but joined the RAF in 1944, going to the U.S. to train as a pilot. Before he could see action, the war was over and Hardy returned to Britain to finish his degree — not history, but English."

Really good article here 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4759116/Harry-Potter-actor-Robert-Hardy-dies-aged-91.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1165 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:39 am »
No service in WWII was a small thing, but the war was over by the time he returned from flight school.

"Hardy won a place at Magdalen College, Oxford, but joined the RAF in 1944, going to the U.S. to train as a pilot. Before he could see action, the war was over and Hardy returned to Britain to finish his degree — not history, but English."

Really good article here 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4759116/Harry-Potter-actor-Robert-Hardy-dies-aged-91.html

@GtHawk

Thanks! The article I read made it sound like he was enlisted working at an airbase in England. In fact it DID say he and Burton worked at the air base. Said nothing about him being a pilot or in pilot training.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #1166 on: August 05, 2017, 04:35:16 am »
@GtHawk

Thanks! The article I read made it sound like he was enlisted working at an airbase in England. In fact it DID say he and Burton worked at the air base. Said nothing about him being a pilot or in pilot training.
Happy to share it, I learned things about him I didn't know, even though I am pretty sure I had seen a biography of him before.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1167 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:39 am »

I sure don't doubt you @goatprairie .

I saw him several years ago on late night tv, His voice sounded good.
But it was a little strange seeing an old guy singing Born To Be Wild.  But it may have been appropriate. He looked like he had been rode  hard and put a way wet.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1168 on: August 07, 2017, 04:40:38 am »
Darren Daulton, former Phillies All-Star catcher, dies at 55
Cancer is a murderer as it is, glioblastoma a particularly brutal one.

RIP to one of the key men of the 1993 Philthy Phillies pennant winners---and one of the few
on the club who blamed no one but himself for his problems off the field and in retirement.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1169 on: August 07, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »
Don Baylor, who won MVP with Angels and World Series with Twins, dies at 68
Multiple myeloma, a fourteen-year battle. He partnered with former Yankee pitcher/Mets and Yankees
pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre to promote research into the disease. Baylor also played in three straight
World Series---for the 1986 Red Sox, the 1987 Twins (who won that Series), and the 1988 Athletics (in
his final season as a player)---and won an American League MVP with the 1979 Angels. He later
became the first manager of the Colorado Rockies and subsequently managed the Cubs for a spell.

RIP to a class act.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1170 on: August 08, 2017, 01:42:26 pm »
Ty Hardin, actor turned tax activist, dies at 87

Hardin, a Korean War veteran and former college football player under Paul "Bear" Bryant, had a brief spell of success in Hollywood, including as the star of the Western TV series Bronco in the late 1950s. After a string of movies he made in Europe in the 1960s, his acting career largely ended.

A tax dispute with his then-home state of Arizona led to him founding a group later known as the Arizona Patriots, which began as a tax protest organization but was later infiltrated by antisemites, Laroucheans and other assorted radicals, as well as FBI undercover agents. The organization was raided in 1986 once it was clear the group was going to pull off terrorist attacks if left unchecked, at which point Hardin left the state of Arizona and lived a mostly quiet life afterward.

Obituary from the New York Post

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1171 on: August 08, 2017, 07:22:12 pm »
Ty Hardin, actor turned tax activist, dies at 87

A tax dispute with his then-home state of Arizona led to him founding a group later known as the Arizona Patriots, which began as a tax protest organization but was later infiltrated by antisemites, Laroucheans and other assorted radicals, as well as FBI undercover agents.

No need to mention FBI agents but once. They were there spying on each other.

There was a VERY good reason people in the south in the early 60's were fond of saying "If you need to speak to a FBI agent quickly,the quickest way is go to a KKK meeting".

The Kennedy Crime Family had the Feebs taking over the KKK,and were even supplying them with dynamite and ideas. Ok,so the Kluxxers of the late 50's to early 60's probably couldn't have found an idea after a week of looking,but it was the Feebs suggesting the bombings and other atrocities through their informers and undercover agents. Whole careers were made from that stuff.

Same thing with the OKC bombing. McVey and his pals practically living in a FBI dorm the whole time they were experimenting with explosions and planning the bombing,and chances are at least 50/50 that it was a undercover Feeb that whispered "bomb a federal building" into McVey's ear. Yeah,it WAS McVey's fault for listening and doing it,and the SOB only got a fraction of what he deserved to get for murdering all those innocent people,but when you go whispering suggestions in the ears of mentally damaged people,you deserve some of the blame for the things they do.

Obituary from the New York Post

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:23:01 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1172 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:51 pm »
Glenn Campbell has died.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/08/glen-campbell-dead/

I'm really bummed out about this. RIP, Rhinestone Cowboy
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #1173 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:17 pm »
http://www.glencampbell.com/glentraviscampbell

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and legendary singer and guitarist, Glen Travis Campbell, at the age of 81, following his long and courageous battle with Alzheimer's disease.

Glen is survived by his wife, Kim Campbell of Nashville, TN; their three children, Cal, Shannon and Ashley; his children from previous marriages, Debby, Kelli, Travis, Kane, and Dillon; ten grandchildren, great- and great-great-grandchildren; sisters Barbara, Sandra, and Jane; and brothers John Wallace “Shorty” and Gerald.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Glen Campbell Memorial Fund at BrightFocus Foundation through the CareLiving.org donation page.

A personal statement from Kim Campbell will follow.

The family appreciates your prayers and respect for their privacy at this time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:21:09 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #1174 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:36 pm »
He was a true rags to riches story, playing so many different styles of music. The 12th child and seventh son of a dirt poor sharecropper, his dad bought him a $5 guitar from Sears & Roebuck at the age of four.

His final recording won his sixth Grammy Award in 2014, "I'm Not Going to Miss You," This song is heart wrenching for me.

Glen Campbell - I'm Not Gonna Miss You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI

The video is full of scenes, of his wife and children growing up, which he acknowledges, he won't remember.

http://www.glencampbell.com/content/about

...His work during this period would have been enough to secure his place in rock history. Alongside musicians like Leon Russell and drummers Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer, he played on an astounding 586 sessions in 1963 alone. That's him creating unforgettable guitar parts on the Beach Boys' landmark Pet Sounds album, Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night," the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and the Monkees' "I'm a Believer," not to mention hits by Elvis Presley, Bobby Darin, Lou Rawls, Ricky Nelson, Merle Haggard and Bobby Vee. And you'll also find him among backing a who's who list of artists with the Crew as the house band on the legendary "T.A.M.I. Show."...

Hall of Fame Inductions
2005 - Country Music Hall Of Fame
2007 - Musician's Hall Of Fame

Grammy Awards
1967 - Best Country & Western Solo Vocal Performance, Male, "Gentle On My Mind"
1967 - Best Country & Western Recording, "Gentle On My Mind"
1967 - Best Vocal Performance, Male, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix"
1967 - Best Contemporary Male Solo Vocal Performance, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix"
1968 - Album of the Year, By The Time I Get To Phoenix
2000 - Grammy of Fame, Single, "Wichita Lineman"
2004 - Grammy Hall of Fame, Single, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix"
2008 - Grammy Hall of Fame, Single, "Gentle On My Mind"
2012 - Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
2014 - Best Country Song, "I'm Not Gonna Miss You"

Academy Of Country Music
1967 - Single of the Year, "Gentle On My Mind"
1967 - Album of the Year, Gentle On My Mind
1967 - Top Male Vocalist
1968 - Album of the Year, Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell
1968 - Top Male Vocalist