Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209979 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #850 on: May 26, 2017, 07:55:16 pm »
Jacque Fresco, Futurist Who Envisioned a Society Without Money, Dies at 101

Jacque Fresco, a self-taught and passionate industrial designer who envisioned an alternative society where money would be eliminated and resources distributed equitably by computers, died on May 18 in Sebring, Fla. He was 101.

His death was confirmed by Roxanne Meadows, his partner, who said he had Parkinson’s syndrome and had recently broken a hip.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/jacque-fresco-futurist-who-envisioned-a-society-without-money-dies-at-101.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #851 on: May 26, 2017, 11:06:14 pm »
Give it another 20 years - Fresco may not be too far off the way things are going.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #852 on: May 26, 2017, 11:07:36 pm »
Give it another 20 years - Fresco may not be too far off the way things are going.

The Singularity.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #853 on: May 27, 2017, 04:35:15 am »
Zbigniew Brzezinski dies at 89

Born in Poland, Brzezisnki moved to Canada as a child, then came to the United States when he attended Harvard University. A Soviet Union expert and sympathizer, Brzezinski rose in influence in the 1950s and found his way onto President Lyndon Johnson's staff, as well as the campaign of Hubert Humphrey in 1968.

He quickly built an alliance with Jimmy Carter in 1975, then became Carter's national security advisor when Carter won the Presidency. Eventually he soured on Soviet rule and backed dissident groups in Eastern Europe. In perhaps one of his greatest blunders, Brzezinski indirectly backed the mujaheddin in resisting the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, which formed the basis of the modern Islamic terrorist movement. He also unsuccessfully backed the Shah of Iran before his government was toppled in the Iranian revolution, was a founding member of the Trilateral Commission, and re-established relations with Red China.

Brzezinski was also the father to current MSNBC morning host Mika Brzezinski.

Obituary from Politico

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #854 on: May 28, 2017, 03:30:11 am »
Gregg Allman, Influential Force Behind the Allman Brothers Band, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, a founding member of the Allman Brothers Band, the incendiary group that inspired and gave shape to both the Southern rock and jam-band movements, died on Saturday at his home in Savannah, Ga. He was 69.

His death was announced in a statement on Mr. Allman’s official website. No cause was given, but the statement said he had “struggled with many health issues over the past several years.”

The band’s lead singer and keyboardist, Mr. Allman was one of the principal architects of a taut, improvisatory fusion of blues, jazz, country and rock that — streamlined by inheritors like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band — became the Southern rock of the 1970s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/27/arts/music/gregg-allman-dead-allman-brothers-band.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #855 on: May 28, 2017, 04:11:04 am »
RIP Gregg Allman.  Midnight Rider and Whipping Post are faves.

I am still so very sad about Chris Cornell. His funeral was yesterday.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #856 on: May 28, 2017, 04:43:08 am »
RIP Gregg Allman

Been bummed about this all day. Thanks for the music.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #857 on: May 28, 2017, 04:51:48 am »

I am still so very sad about Chris Cornell. His funeral was yesterday.

@austingirl;

They were two of my favorite troubadours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIQ7Otf1mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnV63_fyt04
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #858 on: May 28, 2017, 05:06:46 am »
One of my earliest music memories was listening to the Allman Brothers on Dad's Kanazawa. Such a tight band and spectacular music. One of the best live acts ever. Always respected their knack for their ability to take southern and blue collar and put it together just right. My two favorites from Live at the Fillmore East:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr1dPUoLqMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPZxfS1jys
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:07:46 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #859 on: May 28, 2017, 05:36:58 am »
Bummer. Thanks for the Music, and RIP.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #860 on: May 28, 2017, 05:48:37 am »
RIP the only man in baseball history to pitch a perfect game on Father's Day and become a Congressman and Senator
after his playing days . . .

Jim Bunning, Hall of Fame pitcher and former U.S. Senator, dead at 85

Bunning nailing the final out of that 1964 perfecto---while his wife and oldest daughter were in the stands:

His wife and daughter decided to drive up to New York to surprise Dad for Father's Day.

Of course, the 1964 World’s Fair was right across the street, and I really think they came up for that.---Jim Bunning, remembering the game.

It made Bunning the first pitcher to throw no-hitters in each league and catcher Gus Triandos the first catcher to
catch no-hitters in each league. It was also the first perfect game thrown in the National League in the 20th
Century.

It also put Tracy Stallard, the Mets' starting pitcher, on the wrong side of history for the second time: he'd been
the Red Sox pitcher who served up Roger Maris's 61st home run in 1961.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:50:54 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #861 on: May 28, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »
Two of my favorites, as well. Great band.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #862 on: May 28, 2017, 03:55:21 pm »
Two greats in their respective fields. 

Rest in peace, Gregg Allman and Jim Bunning.

My favorite from Gregg Allman:

https://youtu.be/R6E5eThIRn8

Offline austingirl

« Reply #863 on: May 28, 2017, 03:57:06 pm »
@Old Warrior in Exile

Thanks for the tunes!

Offline austingirl

« Reply #864 on: May 28, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
@mountaineer

They were great and I will continue to play their music.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2017, 04:39:19 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline berdie

« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2017, 09:57:24 pm »
RIP Gregg. I loved the Allman Brothers. I had to go in for a heart procedure not long ago that required light anesthetic. I asked that they keep it really light so I could watch on the screen (yeah, I know I'm weird.) They were playing the Allmans in the OR. Not my request...just a happy coincidence that made the "experience" pretty darn good.

I hate that the artists that I am familiar with are leaving. I really doubt the newer artists, although some are good, will stand the test of time.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:48:50 pm by berdie »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #867 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06:10 pm »
Frank Deford, Giant of Sports Journalism, Dies at 78

Frank Deford, the charismatic sports writer widely regarded as one of the best of his generation who also presided over the ambitious and short-lived The National, one of the biggest busts in the annals of the newspaper industry, has died. He was 78.

Deford, who began his career at Sports Illustrated in 1962 and remained with the magazine for decades, died Sunday in Key West, Fla., his wife told The Washington Post.

A prolific and widely admired novelist as well, Deford wrote the 1981 book Everybody's All-American, about the downfall of a 1950s University of North Carolina star. It was made into the 1988 film directed by Taylor Hackford that starred Dennis Quaid and Jessica Lange.

Deford's passion, knowledge of sports and knack for storytelling led the Baltimore native to opportunities beyond the page. HBO brought him in to serve as a senior correspondent for Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel, and for 37 years through this month, he served as a regular commentator for NPR's Morning Edition. He won an Emmy Award and a Peabody.
More

Wikipedia

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #868 on: May 29, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »
Frank Deford, Giant of Sports Journalism, Dies at 78
More

Wikipedia
@Machiavelli
I liked Deford's writing and his gutsy bid to make The National work. (I was a regular reader.) Not to mention
the way he remembered his little girl's battle against cystic fibrosis in Alex: The Life of a Child.

Wingnut

« Reply #869 on: May 29, 2017, 09:49:22 pm »
Kinda liked the Deford guy style of writing.  Nice send up by the hollywood reporter.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:49:43 pm by Wingnut »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #870 on: May 29, 2017, 10:23:38 pm »
I used to subscribe to SI a quarter of a century ago and hence read a lot of DeFord's columns. I'm sure DeFord, like most modern sportwriters, was a liberal, but he didn't seem to let it interfere with his sportwriting as much as current sportswriters.  I guess, because I've rarely read anything by him in the last twenty-five years.   He was a little full of himself, but not too obnoxious.
You have to remember that many liberal sportswriters, like DeFord,  slobbered all over Muhammad Ali even after he was spouting black Muslim nonsense including stuff about how interracial couples should be killed.  Ali may have or may not have recanted later in life, but at the time all those hip sportwriters couldn't kiss his a** enough. DeFord might have been one of them.
So when I hear the typical lib sportswriter go off on American society and white racists holding down the oppressed minorities, I remember their love for a black racist  who openly said things that they would have condemned a white guy for saying the same things.
In short, they're all mostly fantastic hypocrites.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #871 on: May 29, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »
I used to subscribe to SI a quarter of a century ago and hence read a lot of DeFord's columns. I'm sure DeFord, like most modern sportwriters, was a liberal, but he didn't seem to let it interfere with his sportwriting as much as current sportswriters.  I guess, because I've rarely read anything by him in the last twenty-five years.   He was a little full of himself, but not too obnoxious.
You have to remember that many liberal sportswriters, like DeFord,  slobbered all over Muhammad Ali even after he was spouting black Muslim nonsense including stuff about how interracial couples should be killed.  Ali may have or may not have recanted later in life, but at the time all those hip sportwriters couldn't kiss his a** enough. DeFord might have been one of them.
So when I hear the typical lib sportswriter go off on American society and white racists holding down the oppressed minorities, I remember their love for a black racist  who openly said things that they would have condemned a white guy for saying the same things.
In short, they're all mostly fantastic hypocrites.
Ali actually might have wanted to leave the Black Muslims earlier than he finally did in the 1970s. He stayed
as long as he did no matter than he disagreed with a lot of their sociology because he feared meeting the same
end as Malcolm X. You can read the story in:

As for Frank Deford, this was one of my favourite pieces by him, an August 1983 profile of Howard Cosell:

"I've Won. I've Beat Them"

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #872 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:13 pm »
Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega dies at 83

An acquaintance of Omar Tarrijos, Noriega was trained in the United States and was a member of the mob that orchestrated a coup of the Panamanian government in 1968, which began Torrijos's 13-year reign over the country. After Torrijos was killed in a plane crash, Noriega emerged as his successor in what was effectively martial law over the country.

It was at this point that Noriega, who had previously been so friendly with the U.S. that he had served on the CIA payroll, turned sharply against the U.S. His reign included mass corruption, drug trafficking, assassinating a political opponent and election rigging (he manipulated vote totals when the President that Torrijos had ousted was likely to win easily had Noriega not interfered). When Noriega was caught rigging a second election in 1989, the U.S. invaded Panama.

In perhaps one of the most humorous and iconic cases of circumventing sanctuary law, Noriega attempted to take refuge in a Catholic nunciature, which, as a de facto embassy of the Vatican, American forces could not enter. In Operation Nifty Package, American troops surrounded the nunciature and blared rock music and other noise at the building, and after ten days the ambassador finally convinced Noriega to surrender.

Noriega was tried and convicted of numerous crimes in the U.S., Panama and France, spending the rest of his life in prison.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #874 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:42 pm »
Elena Verdugo, Emmy-Nominated Actress on 'Marcus Welby, M.D.,' Dies at 92

Elena Verdugo, who portrayed the devoted office assistant and nurse Consuelo Lopez opposite Robert Young on the 1970s ABC drama Marcus Welby, M.D., has died. She was 92.

Verdugo died Tuesday in Los Angeles, a representative for actress Sharon Gless told The Hollywood Reporter. Early in her career, Gless had a recurring role as hospital worker Kathleen Faverty on Marcus Welby, M.D., and she and Verdugo had been extremely close ever since.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb