Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209862 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2017, 01:17:17 pm »
Reportedly posted on Facebook:

Oh, how sad....... 

I hate cancer.  It's evil.  EVIL.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »
Silence Of The Lambs director Jonathan Demme dead at 73
The Oscar-winning director died from complications of his esophageal cancer
By Emmeline Saunders
    15:54, 26 APR 2017
Mirror (UK)

Jonathan Demme, the director of huge films including Silence Of The Lambs, Philadelphia and Rachel Getting Married has passed away at the age of 73.

A source close to his family revealed to IndieWire that his cause of death esophageal cancer and complications from heart disease.

He had originally been treated for his cancer in 2010 but it returned in 2015.

We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2017, 03:06:52 pm »
Silence Of The Lambs director Jonathan Demme dead at 73
The Oscar-winning director died from complications of his esophageal cancer
By Emmeline Saunders
    15:54, 26 APR 2017
Mirror (UK)

Jonathan Demme, the director of huge films including Silence Of The Lambs, Philadelphia and Rachel Getting Married has passed away at the age of 73.

A source close to his family revealed to IndieWire that his cause of death esophageal cancer and complications from heart disease.

He had originally been treated for his cancer in 2010 but it returned in 2015.

We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

Oh wow. That movie scared the you know what out of me.

RIP
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2017, 05:52:02 pm »
Oh, how sad....... 

@musiclady

The number 1 cause of death world-wide is birth.

Living causes dying.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2017, 05:56:25 pm »
Oh wow. That movie scared the you know what out of me.

RIP

@Freya en

You should try reading the book and watching the other related films after reading those books.

I had never heard of the author,but when the paperback first came out I was at a K-Mart waiting to have the oil and filters changed in my new car,and discovered I didn't have a book with me to read while waiting,so I went inside the store to buy one.

The selection sucked unless you were a fan of romance novels,including cowboy romance novels. So I picked out the book that seemed to be the oddball book and bought it to read. The hair was standing up on the back of my neck by the end of the second chapter,but I couldn't put the damn thing down until I finished it.

The movie WAS very,very good,though.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2017, 06:02:18 pm »
Oh, how sad....... 

My cousin's toddler had cancer and died a few years ago yet the cancer didn't kill her directly. She was so weak from the chemo and the cancer that she suffocated in her sleep simply because she turned her head to the right angle.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:10:51 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2017, 06:06:08 pm »
@musiclady

Living causes dying.

As much as I understand that, I still think cancer is a stinky way to die.  The treatment is often worse than the disease, but if you want to stay alive a while longer, you need to deal with the horror of the treatment.

I hate cancer.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Wingnut

« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
@musiclady

Living causes dying.

No one gets out alive.  However, I prefer to go out at a very old age and very peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...not as the 5 other screaming passengers in his car did when it went off the cliff.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #658 on: April 26, 2017, 06:09:18 pm »
No one gets out alive.  However, I prefer to go out at a very old age and very peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...not as the 5 other screaming passengers in his car did when it went off the cliff.

That may be an old joke, but it always brings a smile to one's face.

(A kind of sadistic smile, I guess....   :smokin:)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #659 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:03 pm »
My father died from esophageal cancer, five years after the initial surgery for it. One week short of age 70.

His death was actually from infections contracted in the hospital for the second surgery.

The surgery for esophageal cancer, is more invasive than open heart, since they go in from the front AND the back.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #660 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:27 pm »
As much as I understand that, I still think cancer is a stinky way to die.  The treatment is often worse than the disease, but if you want to stay alive a while longer, you need to deal with the horror of the treatment.

I hate cancer.

I want to correct that for those of you who may have to deal with this:  the treatment may not be very bad.  Not a fun way to spend a year, but not horrible either.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #661 on: April 26, 2017, 06:29:48 pm »
I want to correct that for those of you who may have to deal with this:  the treatment may not be very bad.  Not a fun way to spend a year, but not horrible either.

True enough. My grandmother was diagnosed as terminal within 6 months by the local hospital but the VA gave her nearly 6 and a half more good and relatively pain free years. (not every story out of the VA is bad)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #662 on: April 26, 2017, 06:46:15 pm »

Depends on what the treatments are and what the cancer is.  Chemo and palliative care has improved much since my younger sister died from melanoma in 1976, but with a son in law presently dealing with the treatment for late stage colon cancer, I'd say it still can be pretty awful.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #663 on: April 26, 2017, 06:47:59 pm »
Depends on what the treatments are and what the cancer is.  Chemo and palliative care has improved much since my younger sister died from melanoma in 1976, but with a son in law presently dealing with the treatment for late stage colon cancer, I'd say it still can be pretty awful.

I'm speaking from personal experience.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #664 on: April 26, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »

I understand that situations and treatments are different, and that they've come very, very far in the last decades.

And I am very thankful that our son in law, now in experimental treatments because he has outlived the standard treatments, is still alive and able to teach and live a semi-normal life.  The longer he lives, the better off the world is.

I still hate cancer.  :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #665 on: April 26, 2017, 07:08:45 pm »
I understand that situations and treatments are different, and that they've come very, very far in the last decades.

And I am very thankful that our son in law, now in experimental treatments because he has outlived the standard treatments, is still alive and able to teach and live a semi-normal life.  The longer he lives, the better off the world is.

I still hate cancer.  :shrug:

Now, on that last point I heartily agree!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #666 on: April 26, 2017, 07:10:23 pm »
Now, on that last point I heartily agree!

I somehow knew you would.  ^-^

I'm also glad you're OK now....

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #667 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:16 pm »

Once upon a time, the only thing they could do for you if you had lung cancer and it was
too advanced to consider removing part or all of a lung was to pump your chest cavity
around the lungs with sulfa drugs. I saw my father go through it for ten months before
he died in 1966.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #668 on: April 26, 2017, 08:25:24 pm »
Once upon a time, the only thing they could do for you if you had lung cancer and it was
too advanced to consider removing part or all of a lung was to pump your chest cavity
around the lungs with sulfa drugs. I saw my father go through it for ten months before
he died in 1966.

Sounds horrible.  And, not very effective.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #669 on: April 26, 2017, 09:57:37 pm »
Jonathan Demme, Oscar-Winning Director, Is Dead at 73

Jonathan Demme, the Oscar-winning filmmaker who observed emphatically American characters with a discerning eye, a social conscience and a rock ’n’ roll heart, achieving especially wide acclaim with “The Silence of the Lambs” and “Philadelphia,” died on Wednesday at his home in Manhattan.

He was 73.

His publicist, Leslee Dart, confirmed the death. Mr. Demme disclosed that he had cancer in 2015.

Mob wives, CB radio buffs and AIDS victims; Hannibal Lecter, Howard Hughes and Jimmy Carter: Mr. Demme (pronounced DEM-ee) plucked his subjects and stories largely from the stew of contemporary American subcultures and iconography. He created a body of work — including fiction films and documentaries, dramas and comedies, original scripts, adaptations and remakes — that resists easy characterization.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:03:06 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #670 on: April 26, 2017, 11:11:06 pm »

@Sanguine

And it STILL beats the hell out of dying.

Something is always better than nothing. A bit of wisdom I remind myself of more often than before,now that I am in my 7th decade of excellence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #671 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:30 pm »
@Sanguine

And it STILL beats the hell out of dying.

Something is always better than nothing. A bit of wisdom I remind myself of more often than before,now that I am in my 7th decade of excellence.

That it does, Pete!  However, when it's my turn I'm happy to move on to the next plane of existence.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #672 on: April 26, 2017, 11:48:24 pm »
That it does, Pete!  However, when it's my turn I'm happy to move on to the next plane of existence.

Just hope it isn't United airlines helping you move

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #673 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:36 pm »
Just hope it isn't United airlines helping you move

LOL.  No, I'm planning on going with a bigger line.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #674 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:22 am »
LOL.  No, I'm planning on going with a bigger line.

I don't know if I'm going with a bigger line. Prolly just stick with "Geronimo!!!"  :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley