Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209760 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #925 on: June 05, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »
@andy58-in-nh
@EasyAce

I’ve suffered from depression  since adolescence and I wouldn’t wish it on my own worst enemy. Bless you both for handling it so well. I can’t tell you how much I admire you both for surviving through it.
Thank you. For me, the weird part was not being aware of what was happening to me - it felt normal. Only later did I realize that I had become acclimated to a state of mind that was not normal, but rather unhappy.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #926 on: June 05, 2017, 08:12:51 pm »
Fathers as depicted on tv fifty years were quite different than the ones in real life.

@goatprairie

No kidding. Mine had a lot in common with yours. My first bicycle came from the dump,and my father wouldn't even let me use his pliers or wrenches to fix the flat tires or replace the chain,and even refused to show me how to do it. He told me I was "too stupid to learn,so he wasn't going to waste his time" trying to teach me.

I learned. It wasn't easy,but I borrowed some tools from a neighbor and just kept screwing with it until I got it right. IIRC,I was in the 1st grade at the time.

When I was in the 5th grade and about 5'2" tall a freakishly tall kid (about 6'2") in the 7th grade decided he was going to impress the girls by picking on me in the school yard after school by doing stuff like throwing a basketball in my face as hard as he could throw it. When I went home crying to my father about it,he told me it was none of his business and I needed to learn how to man-up and take care of these things on my own. So a few days later I laid his ass out with a baseball bat after school one day,and stood over him and dared him to bleed harder because if he did I was going to beat him to death with the bat.

For some odd reason I never had any more trouble from him,or any other school bullies after that.

My father even sold the first two cars I bought with my own money that I earned working in the summers between school. The first car was a 38 Chyrsler that ran and drove that I bought for 20 bucks I earned digging septic tanks with a shovel when I was 12,and the other was a 40 Ford tudor I had bought with money I earned working as a deckhand on a shrimp boat when I was 13. He sold them both while I was away from home at school or work,and even refused to give me the money he got. "My house,my yard,my money" was the excuse I got. I was told about the time I was in the 1st grade that I needed to learn something in school because when I turned 18 I was out of the house. When I came back home from basic training after joining the army on my 17th birthday,they had already given or thrown all my clothes and other possessions away.

Sounds harsh,but the reality is unlike a lot of children I grew up without illusions about how fair the world is and the understanding that if I wanted something,I was going to have to work for it and earn it.

To be fair to my father,he grew up in the early part of the 20th Century,and he was in the 3rd grade when his father died,and he had to quit school and go to work in a shipyard as a laborer to help his mother support his 5 brothers and sisters. Then when he did get married,it was to a woman who had an adopted daughter from a earlier marrige,and he also got stuck with raising a nephew about 5 years old after his parents were killed in a car accident. A nephew who came down with juvenile diabetes when he was 13 and kept him broke paying doctors bills.  Then I had a reaction to the first Polio Vaccine when it first came out,and was bedridden with my own doctors bills for a couple of months,and even had to learn to walk again. Right after that my mother came down with type 1 diabetes,and that cost him,too.

Needless to say,as a carpenter working in the 50's he had no medical insurance. He worked from the time he was in the 3rd grade until he was 62 and could retire on SS,and the only time I ever remember him missing a day of work was when he fell of a roof he was shingling when he was in his late 50's. I remember when I was 6 years old watching him get on his knees in a bathtub one Sunday morning with a pair of slip-joint pliers and a nutpick,and pull 3 of his own teeth because he couldn't afford to go to a dentist,and he couldn't afford to lose a days work to go to one even if he had the money for the dentist.

Unlike everyone else in his family,he didn't drink,he didn't gamble,and he didn't run around with other women. If he wasn't working,he was at home. When he got paid on Friday afternoon,he gave the money to my mother and she put together the budget and paid all the bills. When she died in 1980 he was lost. He had no idea what anything cost,and he didn't even know grocery meats were dated. I had to teach him how to shop.

Working hard was all he ever knew how to do. He could write his name,but that was about it. To him it must have seemed like I had every opportunity in the world to take care of myself, and needed to learn to do just that.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:28:50 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #927 on: June 05, 2017, 08:36:08 pm »
British actor Peter Sallis, of Wallace and Gromit & Last of the Summer Wine fame, dies at 96

Sallis, a London native, was best known for two long-running roles in which he played a Northern Englishman: Norman Clegg in the long-running sitcom Last of the Summer Wine, and Wallace, the human title character in the Wallace and Gromit animated series; both of which have been seen in the U.S. The rest of his acting career, which began largely on a lark during his time teaching in the Royal Air Force, consisted mostly of one-off and bit parts on British stage, film and television.

Diagnosed with macular degeneration near the end of his life, Sallis died of natural causes on June 2.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBmZLmfQZ4

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #928 on: June 05, 2017, 08:59:52 pm »
I'm really going to miss Peter Sallis, but at 96 he was due for some rest.  Take it in peace, Mr. Sallis.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #929 on: June 05, 2017, 09:00:57 pm »
British actor Peter Sallis, of Wallace and Gromit & Last of the Summer Wine fame, dies at 96

Sallis, a London native, was best known for two long-running roles in which he played a Northern Englishman: Norman Clegg in the long-running sitcom Last of the Summer Wine, and Wallace, the human title character in the Wallace and Gromit animated series; both of which have been seen in the U.S. The rest of his acting career, which began largely on a lark during his time teaching in the Royal Air Force, consisted mostly of one-off and bit parts on British stage, film and television.

Diagnosed with macular degeneration near the end of his life, Sallis died of natural causes on June 2.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBmZLmfQZ4

IMDB

I love Wallace and Grommet.RIP, Sir. And thanks for the cheese.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #930 on: June 05, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:03:39 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #931 on: June 05, 2017, 10:11:46 pm »
Just came to post that.

Wallace and Gromit were OK, but Last of the Summer Wine - that were special. I grew up in a small Yorkshire town like that.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #932 on: June 05, 2017, 10:45:51 pm »
Just came to post that.

Wallace and Gromit were OK, but Last of the Summer Wine - that were special. I grew up in a small Yorkshire town like that.

I really liked Summer Wine.  Always wondered if it was really like that in Yorkshire...such a beautiful countryside.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #933 on: June 05, 2017, 11:18:13 pm »
I really liked Summer Wine.  Always wondered if it was really like that in Yorkshire...such a beautiful countryside.

Well - it rains about 290 days of the year, but other than that - aye. It's pretty much like they show. Mostly older folk - the young leave as there's not a lot of work - and highly matriarchal.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #934 on: June 05, 2017, 11:29:24 pm »
Well - it rains about 290 days of the year, but other than that - aye. It's pretty much like they show. Mostly older folk - the young leave as there's not a lot of work - and highly matriarchal.

No wonder it always looks like it just rained.  Phoenix:  350 days per year of sunshine.  Imagine that.  Just try.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #935 on: June 05, 2017, 11:49:52 pm »

I recall reading Summer Wine was Her Majesty's favorite TV show.

Yorkshire is beautiful. The moors are lovely.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:50:25 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #936 on: June 06, 2017, 12:02:51 am »
Roger Smith, '77 Sunset Strip' Star and Husband of Ann-Margret, Dies at 84

Roger Smith, the suave leading man of television who starred on the popular 1950s-'60s ABC private eye series 77 Sunset Strip before a neuromuscular disease ended his acting career in his 30s, has died. He was 84.

Smith, who went on to manage the career of Ann-Margret, his wife of 50 years, died Sunday at Sherman Oaks Hospital, a representative for the actress told The Hollywood Reporter. No cause of death was announced...

In 1957, Columbia Pictures put Smith under contract. This led to a string of film appearances, including No Time to Be Young (1957), Operation Mad Ball (1957), Crash Landing (1958) and Auntie Mame (1958), in perhaps his most notable film role as the adult Patrick Dennis...
Full article

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #937 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:31 am »
It doesn't stop a person, of course, but when the ones you depend on in your childhood show that kind of
disinterest, it may take you a long time before you feel confident enough to try to learn those things on
your own.

(p.s. I'm one of those men who learned to cook early enough; I learned a few tricks from my mother and
my grandmother and a favourite aunt, and I taught myself a few tricks on my own later on.)
A parent who is demanding without teaching or encouraging is his or her own kind of abusive parent.

For me the tragedy was what I learned years later from the single most unimpeachable source I know: my father's younger
sister, one of my favourite aunts. She told me what I suspected but could never quite confirm: my parents wanted children
in the worst way possible only to learn the hard way that they had no patience for raising children, that they had no patience
for children being children. Aside from the fight issue, my parents didn't know the difference between real disobedience or
misbehaviour and children just being children. It was one thing to be spanked for disobeying or really misbehaving, but
it was something else entirely to be spanked for an honest human mistake. Because the flip side was that when they were
good, they were parents you wished every kid had. (My father in particular was generous beyond belief; he even got me
aboard an airplane for the first time when he told his bosses at his insurance firm he wouldn't make a trip to Virginia
unless he could take me. It was the best time I ever had with my father; he knocked his business off in two days and
we spent three happy days bumming around Richmond and Petersburg.)

The scar from a babyhood stomach surgery was nothing compared to the scars in my head and heart. But I managed to
make my way through it after several decades and no small heartbreak. And I enjoy life so much more now.
Ha, ha...your spanking story brought back memories.  Maybe it was really true at the time....many or most parents believe that sparing the rod spoiled the child.
My parents even had a designated "licking stick" (one of those paddles and rubber ball things...without the rubber ball of course.)
When one of us transgressed some unwritten law,  usually we were all disciplined for what the one kid did or didn't do.  Many times I had no idea what the supposedly bad/awful  thing we had done was.  But we had to line up anyway and each get a swat or two on the behind (that paddle really hurt) for our crime...whatever it was.  My parents operated under the assumption that we were all guilty of something even if they could only prove one kid  did something. Protesting innocence availed us naught.
It was only when I got older that I realized it was one way for my father (he administered most of the lickings) to relieve his frustrations concerning his job and his tough time earning money when we were young. Not a lot of frills. When my father became enraged (which was frequent), the best thing to do was just stay out of his way.  Eventually he would calm down after screaming his lungs out for five or ten minutes.
When we got older and became young adults, none of us put up with his temper tantrums. When he would start yelling at my mother about something, WE!!! would tell him to shut up and quit upsetting everybody. Then he'd go in a corner and sulk.
My father was not an evil person and  did a lot of things for us.  I think the stress of life is something some people can handle well and some can't. My mother kept a lot of her frustrations in and I believe suffered a nervous breakdown.  Many families in those days were large with four or more kids (I had six siblings.)
As my parents aged and we all left the house, my parents became much more subdued and easier to be around.
But as you mentioned, many parents from those days were not mentally equipped to handle multiple kids.  It was their duty to have children (my parents were strict Catholics), so they had a lot of children.
But like I said, we all turned out mostly okay with nobody going to prison or going bankrupt.  But my sisters vowed to never treat their children like they were treated. All three despised my father and did not attend his funeral when he died four years ago.  All us four brothers did.
We realized that despite his faults, he was still our father and in his own way thought  he was doing what was best for us.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #938 on: June 06, 2017, 01:20:29 am »
Stalin's grandson who rejected dictator's name dies at 75

24 May 2017
Alexander Burdonsky, a talented Russian theatre director whose grandfather was Soviet leader Josef Stalin, has died of cancer aged 75.

Burdonsky was born Alexander Stalin but took his mother's maiden name to escape association with the Soviet dictator.

For several years he was head of the Central Russian Army Theatre in Moscow.

Last year another grandson of Stalin, Yevgeny Dzhugashvili, died aged 80. However, he was a staunch defender of his grandfather's legacy.

More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40026823

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #939 on: June 06, 2017, 03:22:42 am »
Roger Smith, '77 Sunset Strip' Star and Husband of Ann-Margret, Dies at 84

After a debilitating illness ended his days as an actor, he managed his wife's career. "Roger had tremendous confidence in me, much more than I did," she once said.

Roger Smith, the suave leading man of television who starred on the popular 1950s-'60s ABC private eye series 77 Sunset Strip before a neuromuscular disease ended his acting career in his 30s, has died. He was 84.

Smith, who went on to manage the career of Ann-Margret, his wife of 50 years, died Sunday at Sherman Oaks Hospital, a representative for the actress told The Hollywood Reporter. No cause of death was announced.

On 136 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, Smith portrayed Jeff Spencer, one-half of a breezy detective pair who solved crimes and chased women while working out of their ultra-hip offices on the Sunset Strip. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. played his partner, Stu Bailey.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roger-smith-dead-77-sunset-888323
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #940 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:56 pm »
@EasyAce  - I thought you might like to see a souvenir I have from the 1961 Cleveland Indians, bought at a game I went to as an 11 year old....

(I've spent the past two days hunting for it!  ^-^ )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #941 on: June 07, 2017, 12:23:29 am »
@EasyAce  - I thought you might like to see a souvenir I have from the 1961 Cleveland Indians, bought at a game I went to as an 11 year old....

(I've spent the past two days hunting for it!  ^-^ )
@musiclady

I remember seeing that pic! (You poor thing, the 1961 Indians . . . ;) )

This was the cover of the paperback edition I once had of Fear Strikes Out:

. . . and this was Jim Piersall arriving home after backpedaling around the bases upon hitting his 100th
career home run, when he was a brief 1963 Met:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #942 on: June 07, 2017, 01:47:46 am »
Adnan Khashoggi: Saudi billionaire arms dealer dies aged 82

Saudi arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi, a billionaire businessman known for his lavish lifestyle, has died in London at the age of 82.

His family said in statement that he died peacefully while being treated for Parkinson's disease.

Mr Khashoggi became one of the world's richest men in the 1970s and '80s by brokering international arms deals.

His parties were legendary, often lasting for days, but there was also controversy about his business.

A statement from the family on Tuesday said: "He lived his last days surrounded by his devoted family, children and grandchildren, with the same elegance, strength and dignity that characterised his remarkable life. He is survived by his wife Lamia.

"AK was a pioneer who achieved global recognition in a golden age through his extraordinary business achievements and renowned generosity. Our father understood the art of bringing people together better than anyone.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40180931

I thought the old buzzard had died years ago.  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #943 on: June 07, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
Our father understood the art of bringing people together better than anyone
:silly:
And cutting them a deal on the stuff to kill each other with....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #944 on: June 07, 2017, 02:39:46 am »
@musiclady

I remember seeing that pic! (You poor thing, the 1961 Indians . . . ;) )

This was the cover of the paperback edition I once had of Fear Strikes Out:

. . . and this was Jim Piersall arriving home after backpedaling around the bases upon hitting his 100th
career home run, when he was a brief 1963 Met:

Fantastic!  I really need to read Fear Strikes Out, and not just go by the movie.

As for the '61 Indians............ I've been a Cleveland fan my whole life.

I've dealt with more grief than a human being should ever have to endure.  :dx1:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #945 on: June 07, 2017, 02:45:26 am »
Fantastic!  I really need to read Fear Strikes Out, and not just go by the movie.

As for the '61 Indians............ I've been a Cleveland fan my whole life.

I've dealt with more grief than a human being should ever have to endure.  :dx1:
I find it funny that the two NFL teams who get the most fans in these parts are the Denver Broncos and the Minnesota Vikings. The Broncos have lost 5 of 8 super bowls, the Vikings are perfect with 4 losses for 4 appearances. You can imagine the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments I have witnessed.

:laugh:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #946 on: June 07, 2017, 02:54:19 am »

I love Wallace and Grommet.  I developed a taste for The Last of the Summer Wine. A truly unusual program, which really grew on me.  You never knew just what these three guys would get in to.
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #947 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:54 pm »
I find it funny that the two NFL teams who get the most fans in these parts are the Denver Broncos and the Minnesota Vikings. The Broncos have lost 5 of 8 super bowls, the Vikings are perfect with 4 losses for 4 appearances. You can imagine the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments I have witnessed.

:laugh:

I know a lot about Vikings' fans.  I lived in MN for 6 years, and have loads of friends and family there.

Just imagine how my son feels..... when Art Modell stole the Browns from Cleveland and ripped the hearts out of the fans, our son chose the Vikings as his team.  A Browns and Vikings fan??  Not a happy place to be.   :dx1:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #948 on: June 07, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
I know a lot about Vikings' fans.  I lived in MN for 6 years, and have loads of friends and family there.

Just imagine how my son feels..... when Art Modell stole the Browns from Cleveland and ripped the hearts out of the fans, our son chose the Vikings as his team.  A Browns and Vikings fan??  Not a happy place to be.   :dx1:
Sounds like a glutton for punishment to me.  **nononono*--especially for something someone can't influence.

At least with national politics I get to have some influence on what goes on (12.5 parts per billion, more than the acceptable limits for lead in drinking water). :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #949 on: June 07, 2017, 05:43:41 pm »
Sounds like a glutton for punishment to me.  **nononono*--especially for something someone can't influence.

At least with national politics I get to have some influence on what goes on (12.5 parts per billion, more than the acceptable limits for lead in drinking water). :laugh:

Well, he IS an ultra mountain marathon runner, so I suppose glutton for punishment is an apt descriptor, but in this case he was only a kid when he made that football choice, so I give him a break on it.  ^-^
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:44:01 pm by musiclady »