Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209450 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #700 on: May 11, 2017, 02:42:16 am »
Wife Of ESPN Broadcaster Chris Berman Dies In Crash

WOODBURY, Conn. (AP) – The wife of longtime ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman has died in a traffic crash in Connecticut.

State police say 67-year-old Katherine Ann Berman, of Cheshire, was one of two victims in the two-vehicle crash at about 2:15 p.m. Tuesday in Woodbury. The other victim was 87-year-old Edward Bertulis, of Waterbury.

ESPN President John Skipper said in a statement the death is a “devastating tragedy and difficult to comprehend” and pledged to give Chris Berman “the love and support he will surely need in this hour.”   .... More.

I just heard about this, what a shocker.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2017/05/10/chris-berman's-wife-dies-car-accident/101510074/

My condolences.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #701 on: May 12, 2017, 04:44:48 pm »
Medal of Honor recipient whose WWII heroism went 'beyond call of duty' dies

A Medal of Honor recipient and World War II veteran, who was hailed a hero for almost single-handedly holding off counter attacks by elite German troops, died on Tuesday in Washington State.

Wilburn K. Ross, who was originally from Kentucky, was 94.

Ross was awarded the Medal of Honor on April 23, 1945 for his actions that went “beyond the call of duty” near St. Jacques, France six months earlier, according to his Medal  of Honor citation.

The day of the attack, Ross, then a 22-year-old Army Private in Company G, 30th Infantry Regiment, 3d Infantry Division, placed his light machine gun 30 feet away from German troops to absorb an enemy counterattack. His company had lost 55 out of 88 men, but instead of retreating, the machine gunner stood his ground – even as bullets flew in his direction and a German soldier crawled toward him with a hand grenade.

[excerpted]
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/12/medal-honor-recipient-whose-wwii-heroism-went-beyond-call-duty-dies.html

RIP to a true hero.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #702 on: May 12, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »
Yes, RIP.  :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #703 on: May 12, 2017, 05:07:51 pm »
Rest in peace.   

I don't suppose the delicate snowflakes we have marching on college campuses over every little perceived offense would have the guts Mr. Ross had. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #704 on: May 12, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »
RIP Mr. Ross.  :patriot:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #705 on: May 12, 2017, 06:13:23 pm »
Rest in peace.   

I don't suppose the delicate snowflakes we have marching on college campuses over every little perceived offense would have the guts Mr. Ross had.

@Applewood

Some might surprise you,as well as themselves. I once knew a quiet and shy E-4 teletype operator in a signal company with the first name of "Stanley" of all things,and his personality seemed to fit his name. Quiet guy that was friendly with everyone and who never caused anyone any problems and never bitched about anything.

He just happened to be on duty in a communications center in a classified compound on the outskirts of Saigon on Tet of 1968. When the NVA started to overrun the compound Stanley decided he had no choice but to pick up a M-16 and go to war. When the day ended he had earned a Silver Star and 2 Purple Hearts. He also learned that he belonged in a line company,not a Signal Company. His true nature was as a combat leader,and even he didn't know it until that day.

The last time I saw him he was a VERY respected E-6 in a SF special projects operation,training new troops and leading small teams on classified missions.

Stanley was challenged unexpectedly,and rose to the challenge. In doing so,he found his true self as a natural warrior.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #706 on: May 12, 2017, 06:27:39 pm »
@Applewood

Some might surprise you,as well as themselves. I once knew a quiet and shy E-4 teletype operator in a signal company with the first name of "Stanley" of all things,and his personality seemed to fit his name. Quiet guy that was friendly with everyone and who never caused anyone any problems and never bitched about anything.

He just happened to be on duty in a communications center in a classified compound on the outskirts of Saigon on Tet of 1968. When the NVA started to overrun the compound Stanley decided he had no choice but to pick up a M-16 and go to war. When the day ended he had earned a Silver Star and 2 Purple Hearts. He also learned that he belonged in a line company,not a Signal Company. His true nature was as a combat leader,and even he didn't know it until that day.

The last time I saw him he was a VERY respected E-6 in a SF special projects operation,training new troops and leading small teams on classified missions.

Stanley was challenged unexpectedly,and rose to the challenge. In doing so,he found his true self as a natural warrior.

I agree with you, Pete.  Our snowflakes are what they are because they've been coddled and never challenged.  Who knows what they will do when confronted by real life?

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #707 on: May 12, 2017, 06:43:52 pm »
Yale Lary, 1930-2017

Pro Football Hall of Fame safety Yale Lary passed away in the early hours on Friday at the age of 86. The Texas A&M product was a fixture in the Detroit Lions secondary during an 11-year career (1952-53, 1956-1964) that was interrupted by his service in the U.S. Army.
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

Pro Football Hall of Fame page

@Bender2

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #708 on: May 12, 2017, 06:55:28 pm »
I agree with you, Pete.  Our snowflakes are what they are because they've been coddled and never challenged.  Who knows what they will do when confronted by real life?

Or real death.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #709 on: May 12, 2017, 08:34:33 pm »

@Sanguine

And who knows what fields or careers they may have excelled in if not sheltered all their lives,and they had gone out into the world away from family and friends to experience "life in the raw"?

None of has any idea at all of the things we may be gifted at doing,or interested in to the point of expanding our horizons if we are never exposed to them?

I bet most people would be surprised at the high percentage of combat arms NCO's and Officers that retire from the military and go into teaching. If they hadn't been NCO's or Officers in the military,chances are they would have never been put in positions to formally teach anything,but they were forced to do it and then learned they loved teaching. Teaching is a key part of leadership,and nobody that spends a career in the military escapes unscathed by it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:34:55 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #710 on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:31 pm »
Or real death.

@bigheadfred

Yeah,facing your own morality and learning to accept you are NOT a special little snowflake who is going to live forever is a big step. A big part of that is learning to accept that you are NOT "special" no matter what your mama has always taught you. You are nothing more than a bag of blood and air just like everyone else,and when the blood and air runs out so do you. It's a pretty big realization to become accustomed too accepting. So big some people never make it,and they spend their entire lives living in fear of dying instead of experiencing the joys of life and living it.

I would personally prefer to look back on a life of excitement,adventure,mystery,accomplishments,and pure joy as I lay dying,than a life  full of regrets because I feared dying so much it resulted in me being afraid to live it to it's fullest.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:43:14 pm by sneakypete »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #711 on: May 12, 2017, 08:59:29 pm »
@bigheadfred

Yeah,facing your own morality and learning to accept you are NOT a special little snowflake who is going to live forever is a big step. A big part of that is learning to accept that you are NOT "special" no matter what your mama has always taught you. You are nothing more than a bag of blood and air just like everyone else,and when the blood and air runs out so do you. It's a pretty big realization to become accustomed too accepting. So big some people never make it,and they spend their entire lives living in fear of dying instead of experiencing the joys of life and living it.

I would personally prefer to look back on a life of excitement,adventure,mystery,accomplishments,and pure joy as I lay dying,than a life  full of regrets because I feared dying so much it resulted in me being afraid to live it to it's fullest.

Me, too. I have to wonder about some of these kids. Playing violence themed video games. If put to it, they may be some of the most remorseless, merciless killers the world has ever seen. Turn it off and go into "game" mode. Desensitized to a degree.

I was handed something I didn't want. Been hell to try and overcome. Never really will. There is some regret there. From unfinished business.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #712 on: May 12, 2017, 09:07:44 pm »
Me, too. I have to wonder about some of these kids. Playing violence themed video games. If put to it, they may be some of the most remorseless, merciless killers the world has ever seen. Turn it off and go into "game" mode. Desensitized to a degree.

I was handed something I didn't want. Been hell to try and overcome. Never really will. There is some regret there. From unfinished business.

We're all glad to see you make it through that, Fred.  I assume you're talking about that little deal you had to fight last year.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #713 on: May 12, 2017, 09:50:40 pm »
We're all glad to see you make it through that, Fred.  I assume you're talking about that little deal you had to fight last year.

No, Cyber, that isn't it. It was from 20 years ago. Or 15. Or 6. Depends on how you look at it, I guess. I'll tell you if you want to. But then you all may never want to talk to me again.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #714 on: May 12, 2017, 10:09:46 pm »

@bigheadfred

Fred,you just never know. The odds of them totally panicking and collapsing in fear at dealing with the reality of actual combat and spilled blood  probably matches them turning stone psycho killer.

Unless of course they are doing something like flying a drone,a bomber,firing a missile,or any other "long distance killing that isn't really combat". Combat gets real when you can smell the blood and hear the screams. Not so sure those digitial demons will be able to deal with actually "being there". Most people seem to be able to deal with it and dismiss it as a sort of "then and now" phenomenon,but a very tiny fraction really get into the "teeth,hair,eyballs" thing. Most of those people don't last long because they are fearless. They are adrenaline junkies who just can't resist popping their heads up to look around at the wrong time. They don't get off on the killing so much as they get off on the danger and the adrenaline rush.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #715 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:13 pm »
No, Cyber, that isn't it. It was from 20 years ago. Or 15. Or 6. Depends on how you look at it, I guess. I'll tell you if you want to. But then you all may never want to talk to me again.

@bigheadfred

Fred,I ain't no shrink and I don't even play one on teebee,but MY best advice to you is to keep that stuff to yourself until you have reached the point where you can take a dispassionate view of it,and learn how to forgive yourself. This is something you obviously haven't done yet or you wouldn't be worried about people no longer talking to you if you reveal it.

Learn to accept that we all go through stages in life,and that as we mature and go about the business of living,we become different people than we used to be. Usually BETTER people than we used to be. I don't know you but I SUSPECT you are now a better or more moral man in some big respects than you were earlier. What you still need to learn and accept is that the man who did things you now find shameful no longer exists. The proof of this is that you now feel shamed by what THAT "you" did or said. You have grown since then and morphed into the man you are today. The man you are today recognizes his earlier mistakes,and has learned from them.

None of us are one-dimensional people even though we generally show only the public side of our personalities to the public. Like all humans,you have flaws and you have made mistakes. Accept your mistakes,recognize them for the mistakes they were,and also accept the fact they are in the past and you are no longer the same man you were when you made them.

Once you learn to forgive your former self,your life can become whole again. The past is in the past. It's done and there is nothing you can do or say to change it. Let it stay there where it belongs and work for a healthy and happy future.

My 2 cents,and worth every penny you paid for it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:23:43 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #716 on: May 12, 2017, 10:27:11 pm »
@bigheadfred

Fred,I ain't no shrink and I don't even play one on teebee,but MY best advice to you is to keep that stuff to yourself until you have reached the point where you can take a dispassionate view of it,and learn how to forgive yourself. This is something you obviously haven't done yet or you wouldn't be worried about people no longer talking to you if you reveal it.

Learn to accept that we all go through stages in life,and that as we mature and go about the business of living,we become different people than we used to be. Usually BETTER people than we used to be. I don't know you but I SUSPECT you are now a better or more moral man in some big respects than you were earlier. What you still need to learn and accept is that the man who did things you now find shameful no longer exists. The proof of this is that you now feel shamed by what THAT "you" did or said. You have grown since then and morphed into the man you are today. The man you are today recognizes his earlier mistakes,and has learned from them.

None of us are one-dimensional people even though we generally show only the public side of our personalities to the public. Like all humans,you have flaws and you have made mistakes. Accept your mistakes,recognize them for the mistakes they were,and also accept the fact they are in the past and you are no longer the same man you were when you made them.

Once you learn to forgive your former self,your life can become whole again. The past is in the past. It's done and there is nothing you can do or say to change it. Let it stay there where it belongs and work for a healthy and happy future.

Stellar advice, there, Pete. Kudos.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #717 on: May 12, 2017, 10:31:39 pm »
@bigheadfred

@bigheadfred , you're an old friend whom I could never get mad at for any transgression, and you can PM me anything you want, any time.  Meanwhile, when it comes to what you say out here, Pete's a good guy to listen to.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #718 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:56 pm »
Do NOT mistake this. I don't need to forgive myself. And I will NEVER forgive THEM. It didn't have to be that way. It SHOULDN'T have been that way.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #719 on: May 12, 2017, 10:41:57 pm »
@bigheadfred , you're an old friend whom I could never get mad at for any transgression, and you can PM me anything you want, any time.  Meanwhile, when it comes to what you say out here, Pete's a good guy to listen to.

I'll tell you. PM.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #720 on: May 12, 2017, 10:58:15 pm »
I'll tell you. PM.

Fred, you and I talked about this a long time ago (TOS) and I didn't quit talking to you.  It's water under a big bridge.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #721 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:03 pm »
Do NOT mistake this. I don't need to forgive myself. And I will NEVER forgive THEM. It didn't have to be that way. It SHOULDN'T have been that way.
We all end up in situations like that. Their choice. It isn't fair that you get put in a situation, nor that you do what you must to survive it (and I don't know the details).

But at some point, let it go. The Creator has a way of settling scores and fixing things we can't imagine, and besides, that stuff will eat you from the inside out if you let it. Don't let it.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #722 on: May 13, 2017, 12:10:34 am »
We all end up in situations like that. Their choice. It isn't fair that you get put in a situation, nor that you do what you must to survive it (and I don't know the details).

But at some point, let it go. The Creator has a way of settling scores and fixing things we can't imagine, and besides, that stuff will eat you from the inside out if you let it. Don't let it.

It was that disease, Joe. That was eating me up inside. And last fall when I thought I was done, yeah, there was bitterness. I will send you the message I sent Cyber, if you want to know.

And the creator HAS exacted some karma.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #723 on: May 13, 2017, 12:11:26 am »

@bigheadfred

Fred,ask yourself."Who does this hurt the most?

I suspect you will discover the answer is "Fred". You have to let that anger go for your own good.  If you really want to hurt them,living well and living happy is the best revenge in the world. If they hate you and are glad they caused you problems,seeing you drop your anger and become happy will have them eating their own livers.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #724 on: May 13, 2017, 12:17:50 am »
It was that disease, Joe. That was eating me up inside. And last fall when I thought I was done, yeah, there was bitterness. I will send you the message I sent Cyber, if you want to know.

It's OK, go ahead, I read it.  Joe's a really good guy, I can vouch for him.
I will NOT comply.