Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 210507 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #475 on: April 15, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »
Robert W. Taylor, a pioneer of the modern computer, dies at 85

April 15, 2017
Esmeralda Bermudez
Los Angeles Times
Posted with permission from Tribune Content Agency
Republish
Reprint

Robert W. Taylor, one of the most important figures in the creation of the modern computer and the internet, has died. He was 85.

According to his son Kurt Taylor, the scientist died Thursday at his home in the San Francisco Bay Area town of Woodside. He suffered from Parkinson's disease and other ailments.

Taylor's name was not known to the public, but it was a byword in computer science and networking, where he was a key innovator who transformed the world of technology.

Taylor — an outspoken, uncompromising visionary — was a Pentagon researcher in the 1960s when he launched Arpanet, which evolved into what we know today as the internet.

After leaving the Pentagon, he moved to Xerox's legendary Palo Alto Research Center, where he oversaw the engineering team responsible for such inventions as the personal computer, Ethernet and the visual computer display.

More: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/robert-w-taylor-a-pioneer-of-the-modern-computer-dies-at-85/

The fellow who really did invent the Internet.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #476 on: April 15, 2017, 10:59:00 pm »
The fellow who really did invent the Internet.

I call BS.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #477 on: April 17, 2017, 01:13:57 am »
RIP to Luther Perkins's successor in Johnny Cash's Tennessee Three . . .

Johnny Cash Guitarist Bob Wootton Dead at 75

For 30 years, guitarist Robert "Bob" Wootton was an integral part of Johnny Cash's band, playing guitar in the Man
in Black's backing group, the Tennessee Three, and performing on the majority of Cash LPs made after 1968. Wootton,
who released music with other members of the Tennessee Three, also worked as a stuntman and driver for additional musical
acts, including Smashing Pumpkins. Wootton died April 9th in Gallatin, Tennessee. He was 75 . . .

A few weeks after Perkins' death, Wootton, unable to reach Cash by phone, traveled to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to see Cash
perform. A rain storm left then-Cash band members, guitarist Carl Perkins and bassist Marshall Grant, unable to make the
gig, so Wootton’s girlfriend asked Cash's wife, June Carter Cash, if Wootton could sit in the singer and his drummer, where
he wowed the entertainer with his guitar-playing ability. Cash then invited him to sit in at a show two days later and joined
the tour on what was initially a probationary basis. He served in Cash's band until 1997, when the iconic performer retired
from touring.

Wootton first appeared with Cash on records on Johnny Cash at San Quentin.

RIP.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:14:21 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2017, 01:04:00 pm »
RIP to Luther Perkins's successor in Johnny Cash's Tennessee Three . . .

Wootton first appeared with Cash on records on Johnny Cash at San Quentin.

RIP.

@EasyAce

That was one hell of a album,and a brilliant decision at the same time. Who could resist hearing a album recorded at one of the most famous prisons in history back then? IMHO,that album did a lot to pull more people into country music while making Johnny Cash acceptable to a non-country audience.

It doesn't make any difference how good you are if you can't get anyone to listen to you.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #479 on: April 17, 2017, 05:45:15 pm »
Just got this from FReeper LuvW:

My [our] FRiend, Arrowhead1952 [John Schwausch] has passed away from complications after a fall from a 25' ladder 2 1/2 years ago.
 God rest his soul. He fought hard and now rests with his Lord.
 He will have a military service this summer in Killeen, Texas

:patriot:

Rest in Peace my friend.  Take a knee...I've got it from here.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #480 on: April 17, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »
@EasyAce

That was one hell of a album,and a brilliant decision at the same time. Who could resist hearing a album recorded at one of the most famous prisons in history back then? IMHO,that album did a lot to pull more people into country music while making Johnny Cash acceptable to a non-country audience.

It doesn't make any difference how good you are if you can't get anyone to listen to you.

The San Quentin set came about in the wake of the live album that really put Johnny Cash back on the crossover
map: Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison; that pair of shows was performed before Luther Perkins's tragic death. I think
both Cash and Columbia Records hoped they could catch lightning twice and brother did they catch it. Johnny Cash
at San Quentin
also had the one thing the Folsom Prison album, successful as it was, didn't have: a crossover
hit single, "A Boy Named Sue."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #481 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »

Darn. Agreed, RIP.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #482 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »

Oh, wow.  I corresponded with him before his fall and his family afterwards.  They lived near me and he was in a facility I was familiar with. 

Prayers.

Offline verga

« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2017, 02:36:45 pm »

praying
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #484 on: April 19, 2017, 11:19:25 am »
Ex-New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez kills himself in jail, just days after being acquitted of two murders.
Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez dead after hanging self in cell
 Associated Press via Yahoo

MILFORD, Mass. (AP) — Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez, acquitted of a double murder just days ago, died after hanging himself in his prison cell Wednesday morning, Massachusetts prisons officials said.

Hernandez, 27, was found by guards in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley just after 3 a.m., Department of Correction spokesman Christopher Fallon said in a statement.

The former New England Patriots tight end was pronounced dead at UMass Memorial-HealthAlliance Hospital in Leominster about an hour later.

Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit in the maximum security state prison. He hanged himself using a bed sheet that he attached to a cell window, Fallon said.

Hernandez tried to block the cell door from the inside by jamming the door with various items, Fallon said.

Hernandez was moved to tears on Friday after he was acquitted of the 2012 fatal shootings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado in Boston.

But he was still serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for his conviction in the 2013 shooting of Odin Lloyd, who was dating his fiancee's sister.

Massachusetts State Police remain on the scene investigating the death.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #485 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:21 am »
There is some closure.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #486 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:15 am »
Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was found hanged by a bed sheet in his jail cell early Wednesday, according to the Massachusetts Department of Corrections.

Hernandez, 27, was later pronounced dead at a local hospital, according to a statement released by the DOC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-dead-after-being-found-hanged-in-prison-cell/100638226/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #487 on: April 19, 2017, 12:05:37 pm »
Didn't see that coming.  Guess the fall from being a star was too great
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

« Reply #488 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:39 pm »
Didn't see that coming.  Guess the fall from being a star was too great

wasn't he fighting for his life in court just days ago?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #489 on: April 19, 2017, 12:37:00 pm »
wasn't he fighting for his life in court just days ago?

And he won that case.  However he had another murder pending

geronl

« Reply #490 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:47 pm »
And he won that case.  However he had another murder pending

he was found guilty of murdering his wife a while back, but he probably could have been out in a decade or so since Massataxes is pretty lax

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #491 on: April 19, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »
he was found guilty of murdering his wife a while back, but he probably could have been out in a decade or so since Massataxes is pretty lax

He has so many murders I can't keep em straight.   Seems the world is a better and safer place without him,

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #492 on: April 19, 2017, 12:51:24 pm »

Your knowledge of Hernandez' cases is rivaled only by your understanding of politics.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Odin_Lloyd
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

« Reply #493 on: April 19, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »
It's too bad.  Hernandez had it all, or he could have.  But he lost his way and made bad decisions.  Choices do have consequences. 

Just a shame he took the easy way out.  Even in prison he could still have been redeemed.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #494 on: April 19, 2017, 03:20:11 pm »
Aaron Hernandez exhibited the slightest change in his final days
Dan Wetzel  Yahoo Sports
Apr 19, 2017, 10:36 AM
... Other than spot appearances by his forever-loyal fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez, one visit from his 4-year-old daughter and occasional trips to court by Shay’s friends, he was all, all alone.

He talked about it. And tried to laugh about it. At least he had the Department of Corrections, he’d crack. At least the court officers would stand by him, he’d say with a smile. They’d never leave him. At least he had his attorneys, he’d joke. At the beginning and end of every day of court he’d hug them, kiss them, act like he was a long lost brother, not billable hours they’d booked the night before.

Gallows humor in the face of a gruesome reality – he was isolated and all but forgotten. A hint of him dreaming of the old days – even as he knew he was 27 and sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. And no matter all that fantastical talk about winning a retrial in the Odin Lloyd case and winning that, nothing was ever going to change. He killed Odin Lloyd in 2013, just as the jury said. The evidence was overwhelming on that one. Hernandez, for all his wickedness, was never dumb.

Aaron Hernandez was found hanging from a bed sheet at 3:05 am Wednesday inside the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center. A man who once lived the big life in a 7,100-square foot, three-car garage mansion, stuffed his few belongings up against the cell door to buy himself a couple extra seconds to die.

The suicide came just five days after a jury found him not guilty in the deaths of Abreu and Furtado. It was a legal vindication but not much more. Hernandez was there that night, riding shotgun with his buddy, Alexander Bradley, as they pulled up on a carload of Cape Verdean immigrants they’d briefly encountered earlier in the night. Someone opened fire, killing two, wounding one and forever changing everything.  ...
More .

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #495 on: April 19, 2017, 03:26:14 pm »
Some people, no matter what they have, just can't give up that thrill of the thug life. I've seen it from the small scale of people I grew up with, to the big scale like this guy. Never ends well.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #496 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:29 pm »
Merged Aaron Hernandez thread into Obituaries as he is, in fact, kaput.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #497 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »
Oh, give me a break.
It Could Be Murder   ... Lawyer Claims
TMZ

Aaron Hernandez may not have died as the result of suicide ... it could be murder orchestrated within the prison walls -- so claims the lawyer who represented him.

We've learned attorney Jose Baez -- who just got a not guilty verdict for Aaron last week in the double murder case -- has launched an investigation on behalf of Hernandez' family and they are not buying the suicide story.

We're told Baez believes this could be a murder either by inmates or the folks who run the prison.

Baez says the family is "devastated" and does not believe Aaron was in a frame of mind to take his life.

Baez told TMZ Sports just last week Aaron was in a good place and optimistic the separate murder conviction would be overturned.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #498 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:45 pm »
Oh, give me a break.

Isn't Baez the attention seeker who represented Casey Anthony?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #499 on: April 19, 2017, 08:44:48 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: