Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209274 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2017, 06:50:19 pm »
Greatest Dancer, awesome song. We Are Family, just plain awful.

"We Are Family" wasn't bad. However, one season, the Pittsburgh Pirates adopted the song as part of their PR.  That season you couldn't go anywhere without hearing that song -- over and over and over.  After hearing it 10,000 times that season, just hearing the first few notes made me want to hurl.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2017, 07:22:04 pm »
"We Are Family" wasn't bad. However, one season, the Pittsburgh Pirates adopted the song as part of their PR.  That season you couldn't go anywhere without hearing that song -- over and over and over.  After hearing it 10,000 times that season, just hearing the first few notes made me want to hurl.

That is exactly why I hate the song.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2017, 04:26:06 am »
@Frank Cannon

It is never a tragedy when a communist dies. It's a cause for celebration.

:whistle:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #303 on: March 14, 2017, 11:59:57 am »
I saw in one of the obits for Robert Osborne that he left a long-time partner of the same sex, which really didn't surprise me. I also read that he spoke to Olivia DeHavilland every weekend. But no mention of his being a communist.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2017, 01:23:45 pm »
I saw in one of the obits for Robert Osborne that he left a long-time partner of the same sex, which really didn't surprise me. I also read that he spoke to Olivia DeHavilland every weekend. But no mention of his being a communist.  :shrug:

Robert Osborne was a film expert and knew his stuff.   His politics never interfered with his commentary, so IMO, it's not really relevant to whether or not he will be missed.

He will.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #305 on: March 14, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
Robert Osborne was a film expert and knew his stuff.   His politics never interfered with his commentary, so IMO, it's not really relevant to whether or not he will be missed.

He will.
As a fan of old movies, I always enjoyed his commentary - very informative. To his great credit, he didn't force feed us his politics, sexual preference or anything else. He simply shared his great knowledge of and love for movies.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #306 on: March 14, 2017, 02:00:12 pm »
As a fan of old movies, I always enjoyed his commentary - very informative. To his great credit, he didn't force feed us his politics, sexual preference or anything else. He simply shared his great knowledge of and love for movies.

Yep.

If more in Hollywood, or associated with Hollywood, would keep their feelings...... usually ignorant ones..... to themselves, this world would be a better place.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #307 on: March 14, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
Yep.

If more in Hollywood, or associated with Hollywood, would keep their feelings...... usually ignorant ones..... to themselves, this world would be a better place.

George Takei used to have what was considered one if the funniest pages on Bookface, but a few years ago he started a big Gay Rights/Marriage kick and ruined it.  I used to follow it, but had to cut it off when his posts started becoming truly filthy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2017, 11:41:50 pm »
George Takei used to have what was considered one if the funniest pages on Bookface, but a few years ago he started a big Gay Rights/Marriage kick and ruined it.  I used to follow it, but had to cut it off when his posts started becoming truly filthy.

He was doing some funny Amazon product reviews, too.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2017, 12:16:54 am »

He did!  His best work.  Might have been Brad's, but I don't care.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2017, 01:49:59 pm »

@Frank Cannon   @mountaineer

Frank Cannon wrote on March 06,2017, 03:09:26 PM

"That suuuuuuuuuucks. Osborne was awesome at presenting the movies. He was a straight up Communist, but it never clouded his presentation."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #311 on: March 15, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »

He will.

@musiclady

Communists are dedicated to overthrowing our form of government and replacing it with a fascist Communist police state,and that is irrelevant?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #312 on: March 15, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »
George Takei used to have what was considered one if the funniest pages on Bookface,.....

@Cyber Liberty

Bookface? Never heard of it. Did he ever write any books,or did he use a ghost writer to pad his limited acting career?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2017, 01:58:23 pm »
Harmonica player James Cotton dies at 81

Cotton began his playing career working for blues legends Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters during the 1950s and early 1960s. He formed his own band in 1967, performing and recording with it through the 1990s. He earned a reputation as a frequent collaborator with both blues and rock and roll bands. He was rendered unable to sing after a throat cancer diagnosis in the 1990s but continued to perform with guest vocalists, many of them famous, until shortly before his death from pneumonia March 16.

Obituary from NPR

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »
Harmonica player James Cotton dies at 81

Cotton began his playing career working for blues legends Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters during the 1950s and early 1960s. He formed his own band in 1967, performing and recording with it through the 1990s. He earned a reputation as a frequent collaborator with both blues and rock and roll bands. He was rendered unable to sing after a throat cancer diagnosis in the 1990s but continued to perform with guest vocalists, many of them famous, until shortly before his death from pneumonia March 16.

Obituary from NPR

Wikipedia

When you are 81,there is no such thing as a minor illness.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2017, 06:37:50 pm »
Miloslav Vlk, a clandestine priest during communism, dies
By FRANCES D'EMILIO
Mar. 18, 2017 2:21 PM EDT
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Prague Cardinal Miloslav Vlk, who ministered clandestinely to Catholics for years while officially working as a window-washer during communist rule in Czechoslovakia, has died at age 84.

The Vatican said Pope Francis sent condolences Saturday praising the emeritus cardinal as a "generous pastor."

"I recall with admiration his tenacious fidelity to Christ, despite the deprivations and the persecutions against the church," the pope said in the message to Prague Cardinal Dominik Duka.

More: http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/ed1fd891bb854ea380f4b381bc3c818b/miloslav-vlk-clandestine-priest-during-communism-dies

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2017, 07:14:56 pm »

I loved reading his Amazon reviews, too. @bigheadfred

His reviews for cat products almost had me peeing in my pants.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #317 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:41 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mrclose

« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »
ST. CHARLES, MO (KTVI) – Police say that legendary rock n’ roll musician Chuck Berry has died at the age of 90-years-old.

First responders were called to a medical emergency on Buckner Road at about 12:40pm Saturday.

They found an unresponsive man inside the home.

They started administering lifesaving techniques. St. Charles Police say he could bot be revived. Berry was pronounced dead at 1:26pm.

http://fox2now.com/2017/03/18/legendary-rock-n-roll-musician-chuck-berry-dies-at-90/

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:41:03 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2017, 10:36:16 pm »
Chuck Berry has died at 90

Breaking

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7728700/chuck-berry-dead

There was probably no one else more responsible for making rock and roll the dominate music of the world than Chuck Berry. Personally,a total dipshit on his best days,and a pervert 100 percent of the time,but few could match him when it came to writing,playing,and singing catchy songs.

I even saw the Eagles open up with "Promised Land" for their encore live performance in the early 70's. First reserved seat concert I ever went to,and Linda Rhonstat opened for them and ended her set by singing "Desperado". The lady knew how to set a scene.

Then the Eagles came on and played every song in the 3 albums they had out at the time,and blew the roof off the joint when they came out for the encore and started playing "Promised Land" in Norfolk,Va. People were ripping seats up off the floor and throwing them against the wall to make room to dance.

If you didn't play Chuck Berry covers in the 60's and 70's,you weren't in a rock and roll band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCT-xMbxb8w
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:36:45 pm by sneakypete »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2017, 10:41:42 pm »
He did!  His best work.  Might have been Brad's, but I don't care.

Someone sent me this one a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6/ref=cm_lmf_tit_7
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2017, 10:49:25 pm »
He was from Missouri and that is where he passes on. Rest In Peace.  I had a greatest hits album by him. I think my favorite might be "Brown Eyed Handsome Man"; clearly Johnny B. Goode is a great song, a lot of airplay, I've heard it hundreds of times probably.  He may not get the recognition say Elvis gets but there may well have been no Rolling Stones or Beatles without Chuck Berry.

Promised Land too; his songs, he always had those intros, some would say they sounded to similar, it was his signature sound to me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:00:34 pm by TomSea »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2017, 10:56:38 pm »
There was probably no one else more responsible for making rock and roll the dominate music of the world than Chuck Berry. Personally,a total dipshit on his best days,and a pervert 100 percent of the time,but few could match him when it came to writing,playing,and singing catchy songs.

I even saw the Eagles open up with "Promised Land" for their encore live performance in the early 70's. First reserved seat concert I ever went to,and Linda Rhonstat opened for them and ended her set by singing "Desperado". The lady knew how to set a scene.

Then the Eagles came on and played every song in the 3 albums they had out at the time,and blew the roof off the joint when they came out for the encore and started playing "Promised Land" in Norfolk,Va. People were ripping seats up off the floor and throwing them against the wall to make room to dance.

If you didn't play Chuck Berry covers in the 60's and 70's,you weren't in a rock and roll band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCT-xMbxb8w

They played some Chuck Berry at my FIL's funeral. Big fan.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2017, 11:08:42 pm »
I had to stop following him when he started posting pictures of dicks.  All dicks, all the time. I'm odd that way.  Now, if it had been boobies....
I will NOT comply.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2017, 11:32:07 pm »
Damn

The "Legend' label gets thrown around a lot but he truly was a LEGEND. Hard to imagine R&R, R&B today without his influence...passing of a irreplaceable generation in my estimation..