Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209579 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1850 on: December 20, 2017, 06:21:34 am »
Heather North, Voice of Daphne on 'Scooby-Doo,' Dies at 71
11:58 AM PST 12/19/2017 by Mike Barnes
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/heather-north-dead-voice-daphne-scooby-doo-was-71-1069297
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1851 on: December 20, 2017, 06:18:19 pm »
RIP, Daphne.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1852 on: December 20, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »
Daphne?   8888crybaby
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1853 on: December 22, 2017, 10:34:09 am »
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-dick-enberg-obit-20171221-story.html

Dick Enberg...."OH MY!!!"...., 82, found dead at this home.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1854 on: December 22, 2017, 03:14:02 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-dick-enberg-obit-20171221-story.html

Dick Enberg...."OH MY!!!"...., 82, found dead at this home.

This makes me sad.  Bags packed, waiting for the car to take him to airport to visit family.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1855 on: December 25, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »
‘Sound of Music’ Actress Heather Menzies-Urich Dies at 68

Actress Heather Menzies-Urich, best known for portraying Louisa von Trapp in the 1965 film “The Sound of Music,” died Sunday night. She was 68.

Menzies-Urich, the widow of actor Robert Urich, had been recently diagnosed with cancer, according to her son Ryan Urich.

Urich said his mother died on Christmas Eve, surrounded by her children and family members.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1856 on: December 25, 2017, 04:25:55 pm »
A shame.  Decent actress.  Always liked her husband, Robert Urich, too.  He left us way too young.

Rest in Peace Mrs. Urich.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1857 on: December 26, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
Dominic Frontiere, Composer for ‘The Outer Limits,’ ‘The Flying Nun,’ Dies at 86

Dominic Frontiere, Emmy-winning composer of such classic TV themes as “The Outer Limits,” “The Flying Nun” and “The Rat Patrol,” died Thursday in Tesuque, N.M. He was 86.

Frontiere was a fixture on the film- and TV-music scene throughout the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s, composing hundreds of hours of music, mostly for TV but also for films including “Hang ‘Em High,” “Cancel My Reservation,” “Hammersmith Is Out,” “Freebie and the Bean,” and “The Aviator.” He won a Golden Globe award for his score for “The Stunt Man” in 1980.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1858 on: December 27, 2017, 01:14:01 am »
Influential newsman Irv Weinstein dies at 87

Weinstein was a news anchor for WKBW-TV, channel 7 in Buffalo, New York. While his individual body of work, which spanned 34 years from 1964 to 1998 at channel 7, may not have been well-known outside that channel's broadcast range, the influence he had on television news had a much wider impact. A former aspiring actor who switched to broadcasting for better job opportunities, Weinstein's approach to news took a homespun approach drawing from his working-class background (he was the son of Jewish Lithuanian immigrants) and the work of Paul Harvey, mixed with sensationalism and copious amounts of alliteration. Elements of Weinstein's approach were integrated into Action News, a franchised format used on numerous televisions in the United States in the 1970s and into the 1980s.

The availability of channel 7 in Southern Ontario would go on to influence a number of influential Canadian comedians, such as Mike Myers, Eugene Levy (who incorporated elements of Weinstein's approach into the sketch comedy series SCTV) and Jim Carrey, whose film Bruce Almighty featured Carrey as a fictional reporter for WKBW. Weinstein's 1998 retirement drew praise from a number of Canadian politicians and media figures, including David Frum's column "He Came from Buffalo," which likened Weinstein's Canadian popularity to that of Jerry Lewis in France.

Weinstein had experienced ALS since March 2016.

Obituary from The Buffalo News

Wikipedia

! No longer available

@DCPatriot @verga @Suppressed 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:20:59 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

« Reply #1859 on: December 27, 2017, 02:10:12 am »
My father worked for KB from 1959 until his won passing in 83. I meet Irv a number of times and he was nice enough to come to my fathers funeral. He had a very dry sense of humor and never took himself to seriously.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1860 on: December 27, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
Maple Leaf great and Hall of Famer Johnny Bower dies at 93

Johnny Bower didn't even want to come to Toronto. Yet the pint-sized goalie with the big heart became a part of Maple Leafs lore.

Bower, a beloved two-time Vezina Trophy winner who helped the Leafs win their last Stanley Cup in 1967, died on Tuesday. He was 93.

His family said in a statement that the Hall of Famer died after a short battle with pneumonia.

Bower was a two-time Vezina Trophy winner who became known as the China Wall. His career took off after the Leafs claimed him in an intra-league draft in 1958, and he played 475 regular-season games and won four Stanley Cups for the Leafs before playing his final game as a 45-year-old in 1969.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/maple-leaf-great-and-hall-of-famer-johnny-bower-dies-at-93/ar-BBHogDm?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1861 on: December 27, 2017, 05:10:21 pm »
Aflie Curtis, who played Dr. Evazan in ‘Star Wars: A New Hope,’ dead at 87

Alfie Curtis, who may be best known for his role of Dr. Evazan in “Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope,” has died, according to reports.

He was 87.

The actor appeared in the 1977 film as Dr. Evazan at the Mos Eisley cantina where he met face-to-face with Luke Skywalker, portrayed by Mark Hamill.

http://youtu.be/Lfy5Esue_ls

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/alfie-curtis-played-dr-evazan-star-wars-dead-87-article-1.3722539
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1862 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:31 pm »
Bower, a beloved two-time Vezina Trophy winner who helped the Leafs win their last Stanley Cup in 1967, died on Tuesday.

Since then...

+++++++++

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1863 on: December 29, 2017, 01:19:02 am »
Rose Marie, Wisecracking Star of 'Dick Van Dyke Show,' Dies at 94
Hollywood Reporter, Dec 28, 2017

The beloved actress was a co-headliner on opening night at Bugsy Siegel's Flamingo Hotel in Vegas in 1946 and later a regular on 'The Hollywood Squares.'

Rose Marie, the actress who went toe-to-toe in a man’s world as wisecracking comedy writer Sally Rogers on the legendary 1960s CBS sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show, has died. She was 94.

Marie died at 2 p.m. Thursday at her home in Van Nuys, California, according to her website.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rose-marie-dead-dick-van-722076

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1864 on: December 29, 2017, 01:19:54 am »
Actress Rose Marie dies at 94

Rose-Marie Mazzetta had a professional career spanning nearly 90 years, probably one of the longest careers in the history of the entertainment industry. Beginning her career as "Baby Rose Marie" as a young child, she recorded several sound films in the late 1920s and early 1930s just as the technology was emerging into the mainstream. According to music historian Joel Whitburn, she was the last surviving entertainer to have a hit record from before World War ii.

By the late 1930s, she was out of show business, but she would return in the early 1950s, first in feature films, then in television, where she would make her most enduring impact. She had regular roles on the sitcoms My Sister Eileen and The Doris Day Show, but it was her role on The Dick Van Dyke Show, that of spinster Sally Rogers, that gave Rose Marie her most lasting claim to fame. She then parlayed her mid-level celebrity into a regular position on the game show Hollywood Squares well into the 1970s.

She continued to be an active entertainer until her death, including a regular role as Mitzi Balzer, the Marge Schott-inspired acid-tongued owner of a struggling baseball team in the 1994 sitcom Hardball. A documentary covering her career, Wait for Your Laugh, was released two months ago.

Developing…
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:44:34 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1865 on: December 29, 2017, 01:21:26 am »
Since then...

Or for any Canadian team since 1993.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1866 on: December 29, 2017, 01:23:07 am »
Rose Marie was one of a kind . . .

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "Dear Sally Rogers"

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1867 on: December 29, 2017, 03:04:06 am »
Actress Rose Marie dies at 94

Rose-Marie Mazzetta had a professional career spanning nearly 90 years, probably one of the longest careers in the history of the entertainment industry. Beginning her career as "Baby Rose Marie" as a young child, she recorded several sound films in the late 1920s and early 1930s just as the technology was emerging into the mainstream. According to music historian Joel Whitburn, she was the last surviving entertainer to have a hit record from before World War

By the late 1930s, she was out of show business, but she would return in the early 1950s, first in feature films, then in television, where she would make her most enduring impact. She had regular roles on the sitcoms My Sister Eileen and The Doris Day Show, but it was her role on The Dick Van Dyke Show, that of spinster Sally Rogers, that gave Rose Marie her most lasting claim to fame. She then parlayed her mid-level celebrity into a regular position on the game show Hollywood Squares well into the 1970s.

She continued to be an active entertainer until her death, including a regular role as Mitzi Balzer, the Marge Schott-inspired acid-tongued owner of a struggling baseball team in the 1994 sitcom Hardball. A documentary covering her career, Wait for Your Laugh, was released two months ago.

Developing…

RIP Rose Marie.   You were a funny lady.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1868 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:07 pm »
Sue Grafton, Best-Selling Author Of Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, Dies At 77

Sue Grafton, the author of A Is For Alibi and 24 other mysteries featuring detective Kinsey Millhone,
died Thursday at age 77. Her daughter Jamie wrote on Facebook that her mother had been battling cancer
for the past two years but had been doing well until recent days.

"Sue always said that she would continue writing as long as she had the juice," she wrote. "Many of you
also know that she was adamant that her books would never be turned into movies or TV shows, and in
that same vein, she would never allow a ghost writer to write in her name. Because of all of those things,
and out of the deep abiding love and respect for our dear sweet Sue, as far as we in the family are concerned,
the alphabet now ends at Y."

The last of the Alphabet Mysteries would have been Z is for Zero.

RIP Ms. Grafton. You were one of the greatest mystery writers this country has ever produced.

Respectfully submitted,
Fan of Kinsey Millhone.

(She habitually finished a novel with "Respectfully submitted, Kinsey Millhone" . . . )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:58:29 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1869 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:43 pm »
Sue Grafton, writer behind Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Series, dead at 77, daughter says
FOX

Mystery writer Sue Grafton has died in Santa Barbara, California. She was 77.  ...

Grafton was the author of the so-called Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Series in which each book title begins with a letter from the alphabet. The last was "Y is for Yesterday."

Her daughter concluded her posting by saying, "the alphabet now ends at Y."   Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1870 on: December 29, 2017, 09:29:27 pm »
I liked her novels.  Well written.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1871 on: December 29, 2017, 11:12:32 pm »
Wow. That one catches me by surprise!   8888crybaby
+++++++++

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1872 on: December 30, 2017, 10:54:45 am »
Recy Taylor, who fought for justice after 1944 rape, dies
Associated Press 19 hrs ago

ABBEVILLE, Ala. — Recy Taylor, a black Alabama woman whose rape by six white men in 1944 drew national attention, died Thursday. She was 97.

Taylor died in her sleep at a nursing home in Abbeville, her brother Robert Corbitt said. He said Taylor had been in good spirits the previous day and her death was sudden. She would have been 98 on Sunday.

Taylor was 24 when she was abducted and raped as she walked home from church in Abbeville. Her attackers left her on the side of the road in an isolated area. The NAACP assigned Rosa Parks to investigate the case, and she rallied support for justice for Taylor.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/recy-taylor-who-fought-for-justice-after-1944-rape-dies/ar-BBHsSqu?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1873 on: December 30, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »

@TomSea

Two all-white, all-male grand juries declined to indict the six white men who admitted to authorities that they assaulted her.

A crying damn shame. I can only hope they each came to realize the horror of what they did and were ashamed of themselves before they died.

And "Yes,I AM including the jurors."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:55:19 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1874 on: December 30, 2017, 06:51:04 pm »
Erica Garner, daughter of Eric Garner, dies at 27

Flashback: in 2014, Eric Garner, who was peddling untaxed cigarettes on the streets of New York City and had a long rap sheet of such petty crimes, was accosted by a city police officer, during the course of which he suffered an asthma attack, collapsed and died. No damage was found to his neck, and his obesity and heart disease were also noted as factors in Garner's death.

Now, 3 years later, Eric's daughter Erica, who used her father's death as a cudgel for the Black Lives Matter movement, has herself died of an asthma-related heart attack at the age of 27.

I'll just leave it at that.

Obituary from CBS News