Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209419 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1325 on: August 22, 2017, 01:39:15 am »
GARBANZO!!!!
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Millee

« Reply #1326 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:00 pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/comic-actor-jay-thomas-dead-69-article-1.3439508

“Ray Donovan” actor Jay Thomas has lost his battle with cancer. He was 69.

The sad news comes from his agent and longtime friend Don Buchwald.

“Jay was one of a kind, never at a loss for words and filled with so much fun and wonderfully whacky thoughts and behavior,” wrote Buchwald, who repped Thomas for 35 years. Thomas’ wife Sally and his sons Sam, Max and J.T. were by his side when he passed.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1327 on: August 24, 2017, 09:11:22 pm »
Rest in peace, Mr. Thomas.  Loved ya in Cheers.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1328 on: August 27, 2017, 01:23:59 pm »
Tobe Hooper, Texas Chain Saw Massacre director, dies at 74

Horror film director Tobe Hooper, who set the movie world abuzz with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre in 1974, has died in California, US media say.

He died in Sherman Oaks at the age of 74, the Los Angeles county coroner was quoted as saying by Variety and Movie Web, without giving further details.

His tale of a family of cannibals with oversized kitchen utensils, laced with dark humour, became cult viewing.
Hooper also directed Poltergeist, and the Salem's Lot TV miniseries.

Excerpt.  Read more at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41065552

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobe_Hooper

debrawiest

« Reply #1329 on: August 28, 2017, 04:13:00 pm »
Tobe Hooper, Texas Chain Saw Massacre director, dies at 74

Hooper also directed Poltergeist, and the Salem's Lot TV miniseries.

Excerpt.  Read more at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41065552

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobe_Hooper

I remember watching Salem's Lot in high school. Scared the heck out of me.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1330 on: August 28, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »
I remember my mother and two of my sisters covering their eyes during the scene where David Soul went down into the vampire cellar. I admit I had to bite my tongue from laughing at them.
I will say "Salem's Lot" was well done.

Offline verga

« Reply #1331 on: August 28, 2017, 08:50:52 pm »
@debrawiest The movie was good, but the book scared the CR@P out of me. I sat in my bedroom holding a crucifix. The most scared I have ever been with out someone shooting at me.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1332 on: September 01, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »
Shelley Berman, comedian, dies at 92

Berman's entertainment career was slow to emerge, beginning his career as a part-time actor and writer before, at the age of 32, getting his break as a comic in Chicago, where he crafted the persona of a beleaguered observer of the eccentricities of life. His most famous routine was that of the one-sided conversation, in which he would carry on with someone on an imaginary phone and leave the unseen character's answer implied. When Bob Newhart went on to great success with the same routine not long after, Berman accused him of plagiarism; Newhart noted that Berman was just one of many influences, some of whom included comedians whom Berman had encountered in his early years.

Berman, while he never emerged as a headlining star, enjoyed a healthy and long-running acting career with roles in film, television and stage spanning six decades. He only ended his acting career after a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in 2014, which ultimately led to his death.

Obituary from the New York Times

Wikipedia

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Millee

« Reply #1333 on: September 01, 2017, 05:26:48 pm »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-anderson-dead-six-million-855240

He played Oscar Goldman on 'The Bionic Woman' spinoff as well after working in such films as 'Paths of Glory,' 'Seven Days in May' and 'Seconds.'

Richard Anderson, who portrayed Oscar Goldman, the head of a secret scientific government organization, on the 1970s series The Six Million Dollar Man and its spinoff, The Bionic Woman, died Thursday. He was 91.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1334 on: September 01, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-anderson-dead-six-million-855240

He played Oscar Goldman on 'The Bionic Woman' spinoff as well after working in such films as 'Paths of Glory,' 'Seven Days in May' and 'Seconds.'

Richard Anderson, who portrayed Oscar Goldman, the head of a secret scientific government organization, on the 1970s series The Six Million Dollar Man and its spinoff, The Bionic Woman, died Thursday. He was 91.

@Millee
Richard Anderson also had a key role in one of television's greatest moments: part two of the finale for
The Fugitive, playing Len Taft, the brother-in-law of Richard Kimble, whose name was used by (it
turned out) the city planning commissioner to bail out the one-armed man and continue keeping the
secret that the commissioner had witnessed the murder of Kimble's wife and knew Kimble hadn't
committed the crime.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1335 on: September 02, 2017, 07:52:34 pm »
Richard Anderson was in EVERYTHING.  The Fugitive was my favorite show so I remember him well in that.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1336 on: September 03, 2017, 02:39:52 pm »
Walter Becker of Steely Dan - 67 years old.

No link.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1337 on: September 03, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »
Here's one now:

Walter Becker, Steely Dan Co-Founder, Dead at 67 

Walter Becker, guitarist, bassist and co-founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted band Steely Dan, died Sunday at the age of 67.

Becker's official site announced the death; no cause of death or other details were provided.

Becker missed Steely Dan's Classic East and West concerts in July as he recovered from an unspecified ailment. "Walter's recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon," his band mate Donald Fagen told Billboard. Becker's doctor advised the guitarist not to leave his Maui home for the performances.

MORE AT:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1338 on: September 03, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
Walter Becker of Steely Dan - 67 years old.

No link.

huh

Must not have wanted to be a victim like this:

“Donald Fagen dead 2017” : Steely Dan lead singer killed by internet death hoax

News of musician Donald Fagen’s death spread quickly earlier this week causing concern among fans across the world. However the September 2017 report has now been confirmed as a complete hoax and just the latest in a string of fake celebrity death reports. Thankfully, Steely Dan lead singer is alive and well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:47:39 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1339 on: September 03, 2017, 02:49:23 pm »
Richard Anderson was in EVERYTHING.  The Fugitive was my favorite show so I remember him well in that.

You're right.  Anderson had a prolific career.  What I particularly remember him from is the last season of Perry Mason.  He played the police lieutenant, Steve Drumm. The original lieutenant, Tragg, was played by Ray Collins, who had passed away.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1341 on: September 03, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »
Louise Hay died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/obituaries/louise-hay-dead-widely-read-self-help-author.html

Tough lady.  Practiced what she preached, too.  Reading that article, one gets the feeling a lesser person would have shut the lights out on themselves at a very early age, but she overcame and lived to a ripe 90.  An example for us all.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1343 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13:20 pm »
Tough lady.  Practiced what she preached, too.  Reading that article, one gets the feeling a lesser person would have shut the lights out on themselves at a very early age, but she overcame and lived to a ripe 90.  An example for us all.

Yes. Well said, cat friend.
@Cyber Liberty  88888walking kitty 888catlicking
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:14:17 pm by Freya »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1344 on: September 03, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »
Here's one now:

Walter Becker, Steely Dan Co-Founder, Dead at 67 

Walter Becker, guitarist, bassist and co-founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted band Steely Dan, died Sunday at the age of 67.

Becker's official site announced the death; no cause of death or other details were provided.

Becker missed Steely Dan's Classic East and West concerts in July as he recovered from an unspecified ailment. "Walter's recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon," his band mate Donald Fagen told Billboard. Becker's doctor advised the guitarist not to leave his Maui home for the performances.

MORE AT:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956
Steely Dan is the greatest musical group ever to have been named after a dildo.

And I'll even forgive them for stealing the bass riff of a jazz classic . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWeXOm49kE0

. . . for their . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv-tjDsdduc

RIP Mr. Becker.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1345 on: September 03, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »
Walter Becker, guitarist and bass player for Steely Dan, has died. He was 67.

Becker had been in ill health recently, and did not perform with his Steely Dan bandmate Donald Fagen at the Classic East and Classic West festivals this summer. According to Billboard, at the beginning of August, Fagen told reporters on a conference call, "Walter's recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon." He did not elaborate.

Becker met Donald Fagen as a student at New York's Bard College and they played together in a number of groups, one of which included fellow student Chevy Chase. Becker and Fagen later performed with Jay and the Americans, and composed the soundtrack to a 1971 Richard Pryor film.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/steely-dans-walter-becker-dead-67-192105616--abc-news-topstories.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:31:20 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1346 on: September 03, 2017, 11:35:07 pm »
I tried to like Steely Dan, but their music always sounded to me very pretentious northeast Ivy League, and very off putting. RIP Mr. Becker.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1347 on: September 04, 2017, 12:00:26 am »
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker isolating portions of the track and discussing the making of Peg.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1348 on: September 04, 2017, 01:41:29 am »
I tried to like Steely Dan, but their music always sounded to me very pretentious northeast Ivy League, and very off putting. RIP Mr. Becker.
There always was a smarter-than-thou strain in Becker and Fagen, but when they kept it in check
they made some remarkable music---even if about half their audience had no clue that they
were often being satirical in their lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDppP3MD9N8

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1349 on: September 04, 2017, 02:23:57 am »
I liked that song a lot.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: