Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209534 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
Okay,   He drove a Dodge Dart GTS and then a Dodge Challenger and a Plymouth Cuda.  No way Joe would be caught dead in a camaro.  Specially since Chrysler supplied the cars!
I'd forgotten he was a Mopar Man. What I remembered was that he had this secretary Peggy (Gail Fisher) who was pretty easy on the eyes...

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2017, 12:14:14 am »
Barbara Hale dies at 94

After a film career that lasted over a decade, Hale landed her signature role, that of legal secretary Della Street on the Perry Mason TV series, in 1957. She held onto the role throughout the entire series' run, and in the TV movies as well. Typecast the rest of her life, her acting career was thereafter limited to bit parts and guest roles. She was married to Bill Williams until his death, a union that brought three children, one of whom, William Katt, went on to be a famous actor himself.

Her cause of death was listed as COPD.

Obituary from MeTV

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2017, 01:37:05 am »

Used to own one just like this right down to the color.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:37:58 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2017, 01:43:08 am »
Aw, man!  Another TV icon from my youth has gone.  I watched Perry Mason religiously as a young kid.  Thanks to Della Street, I became a legal secretary.  She was my inspiration.  Of course, no legal secretary I knew of was anything like her. But that's ok.  That  career was very good to me. 

Now that I'm retired, I still watch reruns of Perry Mason. It's rather fun, especially when I see the big honkin' cars that were popular during that era.  In those days, cars looked like cars, not boxes on wheels. 

Della Street was a classy lady, and I believe Barbara Hale was in real life, too.  Rest in peace,,Barbara Halel

Wingnut

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2017, 01:45:36 am »

Man the lead sleds you could buy for $2000 dollars back then.    It is a damn shame. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2017, 01:46:37 am »
Barbara Hale dies at 94

After a film career that lasted over a decade, Hale landed her signature role, that of legal secretary Della Street on the Perry Mason TV series, in 1957. She held onto the role throughout the entire series' run, and in the TV movies as well. Typecast the rest of her life, her acting career was thereafter limited to bit parts and guest roles. She was married to Bill Williams until his death, a union that brought three children, one of whom, William Katt, went on to be a famous actor himself.

Her cause of death was listed as COPD.

Obituary from MeTV

Wikipedia
I used to watch that show when I was young, and it almost convinced me to go into law. (I found something I liked even better, though.)
Anyhow, Sad she's gone, and may she RIP.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2017, 02:01:43 am »
John Hurt, Oscar-Nominated Star of 'The Elephant Man,' Dies at 77

John Hurt, the esteemed British actor known for his burry voice and weathered visage — one that was kept hidden for his most acclaimed role, that of the deformed John Merrick in David Lynch’s The Elephant Man — has died, according to reports from several British newspapers. He was 77.

The two-time Oscar nominee's six-decade career also included turns on the BBC’s Doctor Who and in A Man for All Seasons (1966), Midnight Express (1978) and three Harry Potter films.

He announced in June 2015 that he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

More at the link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-hurt-dead-elephant-man-809521
Let it burn.

Online corbe

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2017, 02:40:01 am »
 John Hurt dead at 77
By Joe Tacopino
January 27, 2017 | 8:22pm

Award winning actor John Hurt reportedly died on Friday after a battle with cancer.

The 77-year-old actor, who starred in films such as “Harry Potter” and “The Elephant Man,” passed away after suffering from pancreatic cancer, according to London’s Mirror newspaper.

Hurt contemplated his demise during an interview he did in 2015 while fighting the disease.

“I can’t say I worry about mortality, but it’s impossible to get to my age and not have a little contemplation of it,” Hurt said.

“We’re all just passing time, and occupy our chair very briefly.”

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/27/john-hurt-dead-at-77/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2017, 02:40:02 am »
John Hurt, Oscar-Nominated Star of 'The Elephant Man,' Dies at 77

John Hurt, the esteemed British actor known for his burry voice and weathered visage — one that was kept hidden for his most acclaimed role, that of the deformed John Merrick in David Lynch’s The Elephant Man — has died, according to reports from several British newspapers. He was 77.

The two-time Oscar nominee's six-decade career also included turns on the BBC’s Doctor Who and in A Man for All Seasons (1966), Midnight Express (1978) and three Harry Potter films.

He announced in June 2015 that he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

More at the link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-hurt-dead-elephant-man-809521
He had a tremendous career.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:34 am »
He was great as Caligula in I Claudius.

And he scared the pants off me in Alien.

I don't know why he never got a knighthood.

RIP
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:56:34 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2017, 04:06:11 am »

LOL. Looks like you had Dodge Fever. I have a fetish for woodgrain applique on the dash so I was never a fan of those.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2017, 04:18:15 am »
LOL. Looks like you had Dodge Fever. I have a fetish for woodgrain applique on the dash so I was never a fan of those.

Two things Frank!

1. The chicks loved it

2. It ran like a scalded cat!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2017, 04:22:07 am »
Two things Frank!

1. The chicks loved it

2. It ran like a scalded cat!

That's cool, but in between getting laid you have to stare at the gauges going back and forth to work. I like a pleasant upscale experience for that. It gets me through the day.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2017, 04:30:17 am »
That's cool, but in between getting laid you have to stare at the gauges going back and forth to work. I like a pleasant upscale experience for that. It gets me through the day.

LOL!  I was much younger then Frank and only had a blood supply large enough for one head at a time!

I might agree with you today!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2017, 05:06:21 am »
LOL!  I was much younger then Frank and only had a blood supply large enough for one head at a time!

I might agree with you today!

LOL. I hear ya. My first real pick up car was a brand new '85 Delta 88 Royale Brougham coupe that was silver with a velor burgundy interior I ordered. Had power everything and a digital cassette player. Previous to that I drove $500 garbage.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2017, 01:30:40 am »
Black Sabbath Keyboardist Geoff Nicholls.
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/01/28/512175669/geoff-nicholls-longtime-keyboardist-for-black-sabbath-dies-aged-68

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/88868640/black-sabbath-keyboardist-geoff-nicholls-dies-aged-68

I'm sure Sabbath had a lot of different band members, I think they are originally a band from Birmingham, England.

RIP;

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:34:44 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2017, 01:31:45 am »
On regular tv, you still have to have the right equipment I think but Mannix is shown on Icons and Heroes, the tv channel. Enjoyable drama.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2017, 01:41:41 am »
On regular tv, you still have to have the right equipment I think but Mannix is shown on Icons and Heroes, the tv channel. Enjoyable drama.

Or, if someone's a huge fan with a little extra dough to spend, you can get the complete series on DVD
for $75.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2017, 01:53:48 am »
He was great as Caligula in I Claudius.

And he scared the pants off me in Alien.

I don't know why he never got a knighthood.

RIP
It might please you to know he was Knighted in 2015.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2017, 02:04:57 am »
LOL. I hear ya. My first real pick up car was a brand new '85 Delta 88 Royale Brougham coupe that was silver with a velor burgundy interior I ordered. Had power everything and a digital cassette player. Previous to that I drove $500 garbage.

@Frank Cannon   That was a pimpin machine.  But a real dog if you had run from a mad trick with that Corporate GM Motor with the funny E4ME Quadrajet.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:42 am »
@Frank Cannon   That was a pimpin machine.  But a real dog if you had run from a mad trick with that Corporate GM Motor with the funny E4ME Quadrajet.

That Olds was a slug. Those 307's put out so little power that I was almost T-boned a couple times. One of my buddies in the corporate office had a Crown Vic with the newly refined FI system on the 302's that would take my ass off the line every time. At least the Delta was nicer looking.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
It might please you to know he was Knighted in 2015.

It does. Thank you so much. @Smokin Joe
He really deserved it.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:19 pm »
Asia Co-Founder, King Crimson Member John Wetton Dead at 67

An excellent bassist/vocalist/songwriter, felled by colon cancer.

My two favourite performances by him:

King Crimson, "Starless"

Asia, "Sole Survivor"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »
Dang, Asia is one of my favorite bands from the 80s.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2017, 08:16:59 pm »
 Hasn't been a good last few months for King Crimson fans, with Greg Lake passing just a few months ago.