Author Topic: Grand Canyon: Pennsylvania mother ate twigs, drank own urine on journey to save family, sister says - Fox News  (Read 2576 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But it's a dry cold out West; humidity really adds to where it chills to the bone.
It's dry because the air is too cold to be humid.

I agree, that humidity seems to make the air chill you more, but your body is warming that water vapor, too. That latent heat absorbed by the moisture in the air makes it seem colder, and any moisture absorbed by the clothes you wear is evaporated from them by your body heat, much the same as sweat would be.

The same basics apply: windproof outer layer, insulating layers underneath, head, feet, and hands covered. The slicker suits we wore tonging oysters when I was a young man far from here were as much to stop the wind as keep water off, but they also reduced the infiltration of damp air, helping keep us warm (as if exertion wasn't enough).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Basic survival tips say to drink your urine.

It's kind of sick to mention, it's some time now. Do they tell you to eat you know? Your other waste product? I forget that but not to repulse anyone but drinking urine is a time tested method. It is afterall, just done to survive.

I don't want to gross anyone out in saying that. I know we learned some of that, now some years ago.

First pass is OK, assuming you start off fairly well hydrated. After that, the waste gets too concentrated and you will dehydrate.

Second and subsequent urination in very hot climates is done on a cloth and wrapped around your head, including covering your mouth and nose to provide a little humidification to the air. Stinking is better than cooking alive.

As for second part - I've never seen it even suggested. There is always SOMETHING you can eat that won't disable or kill you outright.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:53:17 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I don't understand. Twig and urine are great. I have a bowl of twigs and a tall glass of urine(mostly my own) next to my computer. I just call that a snack.

Bugs and rainwater, that's on Monday.
Twig and urine, that's on Thursday.

She did what she did and she survived to tell the tale. That, just alone, means she did the right thing.

If a toe or a finger freezes off, are you going to eat it or dump it? Everyone does what they have to do at the time. If you live, then you did the right thing. If you die, well, then I guess I zigged when I should have zagged.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

I went through my own ordeal last week when I made a pot of chili and realized I had forgotten to buy crackers.  8888crybaby

At least you were prepared to make chili. This PA broad in UT wasn't prepped for shit.

geronl

I want to know how many days or weeks this journey took.... did she have to disembowel a large animal and sleep inside for warmth at some point...

Online roamer_1

And that would have killed her in this situation.  Like so many on here you can't handle disagreement without turning to insults.   It shows you have a weak mind.

@driftdiver
It may seem an insult to you, but it is nonetheless true. Her situation was largely caused by her own ineptitude.
The weak mind is the one traveling through wilderness without a single thought toward what would happen if they got caught out in it. 99% avoidable. Imagine the relative ease with nothing more than a simple go-bag and the knowledge to use what it contains.

That's why folks hereon that live in wilderness preach about preparedness.

I'm glad she made it out. I really am. But hers is not an heroic tale, but rather, symptomatic and cautionary.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:46:48 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

Just for the info, the FM 21-76 US ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL, says not to "eat snow" as it leads to drop of body temperature and dehydration (eventually).  The body has to do more work to recover the heat loss.

It recommends melting the snow with an outside heat source,

Mine was a more aboriginal training wrt survival, hunting, tracking, and the like... without 'outside heat sources', and where tinder is rare, and preserved for when it is needed.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.