Author Topic: Saudi 9/11 bill overcomes Obama’s veto, criticism as push for rethink fades (97-1)  (Read 617 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Saudi 9/11 bill overcomes Obama’s veto, criticism as push for rethink fades

The November election result was painful, but President Obama’s worst moment of the year may have come weeks earlier when Congress voted to override his veto of a bill opening the courtroom doors to victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks who wanted to prove that the government of Saudi Arabia was implicated.

Senators voted 97-1 to override Mr. Obama’s veto, and the House held a similarly lopsided vote. That sparked an over-the-top reaction from the White House, which called it the “single most embarrassing thing” Congress had done in 30 years.

That feverish reaction spawned a rethink by some members of Congress, who said they may have acted too hastily and suggested it may be worth revisiting the law to make sure it didn’t come back to bite American troops, who might face legal exposure of their own. Among these lawmakers were Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, who said there may be unintended consequences, and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, Wisconsin Republican, who said a fix might be in order.

Continued: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/27/saudi-911-bill-overcomes-obamas-veto-criticism-as-/

Had not even heard they voted for this, I could not find the dissenting Senator.

Offline Suppressed

Had not even heard they voted for this, I could not find the dissenting Senator.

It was covered in the MSM back when the vote was taken. Dingy Harry was the lone dissenter.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=114&session=2&vote=00148
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn