Author Topic: Trump considering 'public-private option' for VA  (Read 726 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump considering 'public-private option' for VA
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:03:58 am »
Trump considering 'public-private option' for VA
By Rebecca Savransky - 12/28/16 06:53 PM EST

President-elect Donald Trump is considering a "public-private option" for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

"We think we have to have kind of a ... public-private option because some vets love the VA ... some vets want to go to the VA," a senior transition official told reporters Wednesday, according to pool reports.

"So, the idea is to come up with a solution that solves the problem. And it's not the easiest thing in the world because you've got all these little kingdoms out there, which is hard," the senior official continued.

more

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/312060-trump-considering-public-private-option-for-va
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MajorClay

Re: Trump considering 'public-private option' for VA
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:33:22 pm »
I think this is best.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:57:51 pm »
Veterans should be able to seek care anywhere and be covered.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:31:05 pm »
I think this is best.

It is the best of all the possible solutions and probably the ONLY one that will actually work!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »
I've been in the VA system for years and have received excellent care.
The VA patient load is generally older and sicker than those in the civilian system, many of the younger vets have specialized needs due to combat I'm not convinced the system can afford to place this patient population in the civilian system without a massive increase in funding.
The VA works pretty well for most. If a change will improve veterans care then I'm all for it, but I'm very suspicious of those with the knee jerk reaction that the VA is bad and needs to be scraped. Whatever direction the new administration goes in to attempt to improve care they need to do it incrementally and assure the change is for the better...

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:54:27 pm »
I've been in the VA system for years and have received excellent care.
The VA patient load is generally older and sicker than those in the civilian system, many of the younger vets have specialized needs due to combat I'm not convinced the system can afford to place this patient population in the civilian system without a massive increase in funding.
The VA works pretty well for most. If a change will improve veterans care then I'm all for it, but I'm very suspicious of those with the knee jerk reaction that the VA is bad and needs to be scraped. Whatever direction the new administration goes in to attempt to improve care they need to do it incrementally and assure the change is for the better...

I suspect, for combat injuries, the VA is quite good.  For other treatments that all of us experience/need over normal lifetime, many medical sources could help a veteran.

I would like to see them open up the medical care for vets to more like a insurance policy.  Available care at many service providers, including the VA.  That change would not make an initial dump on either VA or other systems.  But merely let the market place of those wanting different care the financial ability to go elsewhere.  In time, competition will improve both the VA and medical care the vets receive.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer