Author Topic: 450 churches prepare to act as Trump-era ‘underground railroad’ for undocumented immigrants  (Read 679 times)

rangerrebew

450 churches prepare to act as Trump-era ‘underground railroad’ for undocumented immigrants

DAVID FERGUSON
28 DEC 2016 AT 14:23 ET

Fugitive slaves fleeing from Eastern Maryland to an Underground Railroad depot in Delaware Ca. 1863. (Shutterstock.com)

A network of 450 houses of worship across the country are stepping up to act as a kind of “underground railroad” for undocumented immigrants under the nascent Donald Trump administration.

The New York Times said that these churches, synagogues and mosques are all part of the Sanctuary Movement — an interfaith movement that began in the 1960s, but which has undergone a revival in recent years as the U.S. has stepped up deportation of undocumented immigrants.

The Sanctuary Movement has gained even more momentum since the election of Republican Donald Trump, who has pledged to deport 2 to 3 million unauthorized immigrants who he says are guilty of crimes. While not every church has the space and resources necessary to physically shelter immigrants, all 450 organizations have pledged to provide “money, legal aid, food, child care or transportation,” said the Times‘ Laurie Goodstein.

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/450...ed-immigrants/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:43:02 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

I would think those churches that participate should lose their tax exempt status for using their churches for political purposes.

Offline thackney

HARBORING A SUSPECT OR FUGITIVE IN A FEDERAL CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION
http://www.southflalaw.com/harboring-a-suspect-or-fugitive-in-a-federal-criminal-investigat.html

In a federal criminal investigation, harboring a suspect or a wanted fugitive refers to knowingly hiding a target of a federal investigation or a wanted criminal from federal authorities. In the case of a fugitive from justice, under federal statute 18 U.S.C. § 1071 (concealing an individual from arrest), four elements must be proved to prosecute an individual for the alleged commission of this crime of concealment...

...It should also be understood that a "fugitive from justice" does not necessarily mean someone who escaped from prison or escaped while under arrest or when being questioned by federal authorities (18 U.S.C. § 1072, concealing an escaped prisoner), but can also be interpreted as a person under Federal Indictment or Information who did not show up for a hearing after a federal court had issued a bench warrant.

In a federal case there are no exemptions to this charge although in a case prosecuted by the state there are fourteen individual states that give exemptions to family members. Four additional states greatly reduce liability to family members in reference to penalties. Family members are defined as a spouse or sibling, parent, grandparent as well as children or grandchildren....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:49:23 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

8 U.S. Code § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324

(a) Criminal penalties
  (1)
    (A) Any person who—
      (i) knowing that a person is an alien...
      (iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;...

shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B).
(B) A person who violates subparagraph (A) shall, for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs—
  (i) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i) or (v)(I) or in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A (ii), (iii), or (iv) in which the offense was done for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both;

(ii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;

(iii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) during and in relation to which the person causes serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of title 18) to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and

(iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So under Obama, churches even speak about political issues and they lose their 501c3 status. Harbor illegals against the law and what do they think is going to happen under Trump? Self-righteous liberal asshats.
The Republic is lost.