Author Topic: Fmr. Archbishop of Canterbury: England Needs Citizenship Tests on Christianity For Immigrants  (Read 1074 times)

rangerrebew

Fmr. Archbishop of Canterbury: England Needs Citizenship Tests on Christianity For Immigrants

Commenting on the British government's review of communal integration in England, particularly involving Muslim communities, Lord George Carey, the former archbishop of Canterbury, said Britain is forgetting its Christian heritage, suffers from a "creeping culture of religious illiteracy," and added that Christianity should be included in citizenship tests for all immigrants.

"It is a preposterous yet dangerous state of affairs when Christmas cards are considered offensive, or the Cross is banned because it is thought divisive. Yet this is the world we live in," said Lord Carey in a Dec. 17 commentary for The Mail On Sunday [1]. "We should rejoice in our Christian identity as a nation and celebrate it."

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/fmr-archbishop-canterbury-england-needs-citizenship-tests-christianity

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good for him!  Maybe the CofE can be a force for good in the world.  Or, at least England.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
He has wised up; obviously, the next few years will be a backlash against this liberal lunacy of the last several years.

Offline r9etb

"It is a preposterous yet dangerous state of affairs when Christmas cards are considered offensive, or the Cross is banned because it is thought divisive. Yet this is the world we live in," said Lord Carey in a Dec. 17 commentary for The Mail On Sunday. "We should rejoice in our Christian identity as a nation and celebrate it."

I understand his point, but the truth is that, on the whole, England is at most a "culturally Christian" nation.  Surveys suggest that church attendance is somewhere south of 5% of the population.  There are a lot of reasons for that, including an understandable loss of confidence in God following two horrific wars and their aftermath.  Making newcomers "take a test on Christianity" isn't going to make them fit in any better.  In fact, this desire to stuff Christianity down their throats is perhaps one of the reasons the CoE is in such decline.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I understand his point, but the truth is that, on the whole, England is at most a "culturally Christian" nation.  Surveys suggest that church attendance is somewhere south of 5% of the population.  There are a lot of reasons for that, including an understandable loss of confidence in God following two horrific wars and their aftermath.  Making newcomers "take a test on Christianity" isn't going to make them fit in any better.  In fact, this desire to stuff Christianity down their throats is perhaps one of the reasons the CoE is in such decline.

There's a difference between vetting incomers to see if their ideology conflicts with a Christian nation, whether culturally or actually, than trying to "stuff Christianity down their throats."  I get no hint of a desire to stuff from his comments.

I think that if anything, their decline is due to NOT acting as a Christian nation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:08:42 pm by Sanguine »

Offline r9etb

There's a difference between vetting incomers to see if their ideology conflicts with a Christian nation, whether culturally or actually, than trying to "stuff Christianity down their throats."  I get no hint of a desire to stuff from his comments.

He's proposing a religious test as part of citizenship, which could reasonably be seen as "stuffing it down their throats."  Moreover, he's apparently proposing it on the false basis that England remains religiously Christian, which is probably untrue.  The Christian basis of English cultural mores is undoubted, but that's a topic for a history class, not a citizenship test.

I think that if anything, their decline is due to NOT acting as a Christian nation.

Whatever that means....  For whatever reason, people in England and elsewhere in Europe no longer go to church.  It's hard for a nation to act Christian, if its population isn't practicing Christianity.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
r9etb wrote:
"Making newcomers "take a test on Christianity" isn't going to make them fit in any better.  In fact, this desire to stuff Christianity down their throats is perhaps one of the reasons the CoE is in such decline."

Don't allow any new muslims into the country.
Begin repatriating ALL muslims who are currently there back to dar al-islam.
(Including muslims who are British citizens).
Send them ALL back.

Problems solved.

Offline r9etb

r9etb wrote:
"Making newcomers "take a test on Christianity" isn't going to make them fit in any better.  In fact, this desire to stuff Christianity down their throats is perhaps one of the reasons the CoE is in such decline."

Don't allow any new muslims into the country.
Begin repatriating ALL muslims who are currently there back to dar al-islam.
(Including muslims who are British citizens).
Send them ALL back.

Problems solved.

And if it takes a few broken windows to make it happen....

I'm sorry, sir, but your kind of bigotry does not help.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He's proposing a religious test as part of citizenship, which could reasonably be seen as "stuffing it down their throats."  Moreover, he's apparently proposing it on the false basis that England remains religiously Christian, which is probably untrue.  The Christian basis of English cultural mores is undoubted, but that's a topic for a history class, not a citizenship test.

Whatever that means....  For whatever reason, people in England and elsewhere in Europe no longer go to church.  It's hard for a nation to act Christian, if its population isn't practicing Christianity.

And, so what?  If they want to consider themselves a Christian nation, and are willing to accept only immigrants who can live in that sort of culture, so what?  What's your objection?

And, to call those who call cultural bigots (muslims) bigots is rich.  Do you really not see the problem?

Offline Fishrrman

r9etb wrote:
"I'm sorry, sir, but your kind of bigotry does not help"

Too bad. Your insults won't change what I believe, and what I'll continue to post.

We of The West had better become "bigots", regarding our culture vis-a-vis the other cultures of the world, if we wish to survive as "The West".

Otherwise, we will eventually disappear.

Offline r9etb

We of The West had better become "bigots", regarding our culture vis-a-vis the other cultures of the world, if we wish to survive as "The West".

Blahblahblah.  Part of our culture is to name things for what they are.

You try to sound all tough and ready, and yet you are talking like a bigot.

Offline Fishrrman

r9etb wrote:
"...you are talking like a bigot."

If you're implying that I'm "a bigot" insofar as islam is concerned, you're right.
I'm PROUD to be one. Let there be no mistake about that, either to you or anyone else in this forum.
islam is the scourge of humanity, and I want to see it erased from the face of the earth.

Does that satisfy you?

Offline TomSea

r9etb wrote:
"I'm sorry, sir, but your kind of bigotry does not help"

Too bad. Your insults won't change what I believe, and what I'll continue to post.

basically agree!

Offline TomSea

Let's not discriminate against religious customs like honor killings, oh brother.

geronl

Good for him!  Maybe the CofE can be a force for good in the world.  Or, at least England.

The CofE won't be. he's a former not the current one. Besides it's hardly even a real church any more

Offline TomSea

The Church of England, I can see why people say, has declined; but like this, they still come out with saying some worthwhile things.

geronl

The Church of England, I can see why people say, has declined; but like this, they still come out with saying some worthwhile things.

The Church of England didn't say anything. This is a FORMER Archbishop. The CoE is subservient to the UK government.

Offline r9etb

r9etb wrote:
If you're implying that I'm "a bigot" insofar as islam is concerned, you're right.
I'm PROUD to be one. Let there be no mistake about that, either to you or anyone else in this forum.
islam is the scourge of humanity, and I want to see it erased from the face of the earth.

Does that satisfy you?

Oh, I knew all along what you are.  I just wanted you to know that people are watching and will call you what you deserve to be called.

Offline r9etb

basically agree!

Of course you do.  Have you ever bothered to think past your first, emotional reactions?

Offline TomSea

Of course you do.  Have you ever bothered to think past your first, emotional reactions?

I have a friend who posts on the internet. He does remind me of you, a similar world view. I know his intentions and aims are noble even if I don't agree with those. I guess he saw things along the line that makes him think the way he does.

Offline r9etb

I have a friend who posts on the internet. He does remind me of you, a similar world view. I know his intentions and aims are noble even if I don't agree with those. I guess he saw things along the line that makes him think the way he does.

Let's play "think beyond the emotional reaction."  The guy above says all sorts of manly things about getting rid of the "muzzies."  Suppose they say, "no."  Especially the ones who were born here.

You gonna kill them?  Round them up and put them in concentration camps based on their religion?  Do we remember anybody else who did that sort of thing?

Oh, yeah.  It's one thing to be a rough, tough, keyboard kommando like our friend fishyman.  But when you start looking at real life, it's a bit different.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:00:58 pm by r9etb »