Author Topic: Trump intends to impose tariffs via executive order  (Read 7041 times)

HonestJohn

Re: Trump intends to impose tariffs via executive order
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2016, 12:34:30 am »
Most of them are too simple to realize that they won't be able to escape the costs.

They puff their chests out an announce that they won't buy no stinkin foreign made car. The problem is that there is no such thing as a totally American made car. Virtually all of the electronic circuitry in cars are foreign made and there are a lot of them. When I worked in a plastics factory making interiors for virtually every make of car and the vinyl we used all came from China. A huge portion of the tires we use in this country are foreign made. Virtually all of the recycled metal used in car construction was sold to China for recycling and is sold back to us.

Might be wise to start looking into buggy whip investments.

And it's worse with computers and electronics.

There are *NO* domestically made smartphones.  *NO* televisions, either.

Most computer parts and electronics are made overseas as well.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2016, 12:37:59 am »
And it's worse with computers and electronics.

There are *NO* domestically made smartphones.  *NO* televisions, either.

Most computer parts and electronics are made overseas as well.

Sure and what would it cost to make them here?  About $7 more each.  Probably not even that much anymore since costs and taxes are exploding in China.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

HonestJohn

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2016, 01:02:53 am »
Sure and what would it cost to make them here?  About $7 more each.  Probably not even that much anymore since costs and taxes are exploding in China.

No.

Here's an example:

https://www.marketplace.org/2014/05/20/business/ive-always-wondered/how-much-would-all-american-iphone-cost

An All-American Iphone would cost over $2,000.  Not an additional $7 as you claimed.

geronl

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2016, 01:34:38 am »

Factories moved from Japan and Korea to China and they can be moved again to whatever 3rd world crap-hole will do the job cheaply. It is still better than what the Trumpies think they want.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2016, 01:38:20 am »

Even if factories do magically come back, in 10 years in 99% of factory work will be automated.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Hoodat

« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2016, 01:40:08 am »
Can't wait to see the tariffs that other countries place on us in retaliation.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2016, 01:41:02 am »
No.

Here's an example:

https://www.marketplace.org/2014/05/20/business/ive-always-wondered/how-much-would-all-american-iphone-cost

An All-American Iphone would cost over $2,000.  Not an additional $7 as you claimed.

Try again, it would cost $7 more.  But you knew that and tried to play with the numbers.

geronl

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2016, 01:42:59 am »
Can't wait to see the tariffs that other countries place on us in retaliation.

TOP US EXPORTS:

electronics, cars, aircraft, oil, medical equipment, plastic.....

All of which can be bought elsewhere. It is all replaceable.

geronl

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2016, 01:44:11 am »
Try again, it would cost $7 more.  But you knew that and tried to play with the numbers.

If it were really $7 more then it would make no sense to make them in China and ship them over here.

HonestJohn

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2016, 01:46:29 am »

If you could argue the piece, you would have.

You didn't.

:whistle:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2016, 04:13:08 am »
Over half of Apples sales are overseas.  A phone assembled in the US is taxed on a 35% rate that is purchased anywhere in the world.  A phone that is assembled anywhere other than the US is taxed at 2% for those sold anywhere other than the US.

Why would Apple have phones assembled here and lose those billions of dollars?  Ever wonder where Trump got that 35% number?  As long as we tax the death out of Corporations, they will assemble overseas.

Which is one more among the multitude fo reasons for ditching the Marxist income tax entirely and returning to consumption based taxation.  Our founders made this clear to us from the start!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2016, 04:37:53 am »
A lot of jobs in steel have been heavily automated for a long time anyway. A friend of mine was pretty severely burned some 30 years ago when he got in the way of a self driving forklift carrying freshly rolled steel bars.

Steel is gone because of the cost of energy and the EPA in the USA.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2016, 04:42:30 am »
Getting rid of the corporate tax would do wonders for bringing some business back here.  Regulations and red tape needs to go as well.

Entirely true! But getting rid of taxing on the production end entirely and taxing on the consumption end instead would be even more magical!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2016, 04:43:25 am »

My company is an electronics OEM in the USA that exports most of its products. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2016, 04:44:37 am »
Entirely true! But getting rid of taxing on the production end entirely and taxing on the consumption end instead would be even more magical!

Yup.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2016, 02:59:17 pm »
I'm with you.  I had hoped that Trump keeping Huckabee around might be a sign that he was going to go with the Fair Tax, but it doesn't appear so since Huckabee was not brought into the fold.

When Mike Pence was in Congress he was a HUGE proponent of the FairTax!  Hope he still is!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2016, 03:28:53 pm »
The "Fair Tax" is dumb.

I'd rather go with a very low flat tax or abolish it for a national retail sales tax

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »
The "Fair Tax" is dumb.

I'd rather go with a very low flat tax or abolish it for a national retail sales tax

Personally I'd rather let the states collect taxes and send the feds what they feel is appropriate after taking care of their own business.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2016, 03:41:44 pm »
The "Fair Tax" is dumb.

The income tax is Dumb!  What do you think the fairtax is if not an NRST?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »
We can only hope his pen is as tiny as his hand.

geronl

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »
We can only hope his pen is as tiny as his hand.

:silly: :silly:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2016, 04:56:17 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2016, 07:54:18 pm »
The "Fair Tax" is dumb.

The first step is to abolish collection of taxes and withholding through payroll.    If people had to write a check for the tax it would be real money to them.