Author Topic: Gingrich: Trump doesn't want to 'drain the swamp' anymore  (Read 5802 times)

Silver Pines

Re: Gingrich: Trump doesn't want to 'drain the swamp' anymore
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2016, 11:57:42 pm »
I already know that the die-hard NeverTrumpers are going to jump me for saying this, but I don't care. This does not indicate a betrayal to me. On the contrary, it indicates a man who is serious, and wants to get down to the actual business of doing the job.

Having read the article twice, all I get from this is that Trump is saying that he wants to tone down the rhetoric. He never said that he is no longer interested in reforming D.C. All he said is that the bumper sticker slogans that were used during the campaign have no use in actually getting the job done.

@240B

But so many of his hardcore fans took it all as gospel.

Regardless, I expect most of them will attempt to justify it, as you're doing here, every time he backs away from those promises he made....at least publically, in order to save face.  Privately, some of them will be furious that they fell for his schtick. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2016, 11:59:10 pm »

@Machiavelli

Wait until it becomes clear the wall isn't going to be built.

"Well, he never meant a REAL wall...there was no way that would have happened, anyway..."

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2016, 12:07:54 am »

@Machiavelli

Wait until it becomes clear the wall isn't going to be built.

"Well, he never meant a REAL wall...there was no way that would have happened, anyway..."

Well, I respect Catherine of Aragon too much to be snarky or disparaging to her.

Therefore, I will say only, What if? What if he does what he says he will do.

What if? It all works out as he said it would.

I know it is a million to one chance, but what if it happens?

What would it take for a die-hard NeverTrumper to admit they were wrong?

I cannot think of any scenario where that would ever happen.

All I want from NeverTrump is to say, 'If this happens, then I believe you.'

So far from what I see, there is nothing, nothing at all, that would ever satisfy them.

Trump is bad. I am good. End of story.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2016, 12:10:19 am »

Well, I respect Catherine of Aragon too much to be snarky or disparaging to her.

So far from what I see, there is nothing, nothing at all, that would ever satisfy them.

Well, I'm not a never-Trumper, but if he actually does hald of what he said he would (the good half, that is), I will give him the credit he deserves.  Well, either way, I'll give him the credit he earns.

Silver Pines

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 12:20:19 am »

@240B, I'm not snarking specifically at you.  Were you always a Trump supporter or did you decide to vote for him later on?  I honestly can't remember.

And don't hesitate to slap me back if I get out of line.

Actually, on the morning after the election, I pinged some of the Trump supporters here and told them I was wrong about Trump's chances, and I congratulated them.  I believe two of them were gracious enough to respond.

If Trump does good things, I'll step right up and give him credit.  If he messes up, I'll note that, too.  Look, I'm not going to lie and say I like him.  I don't.  I never have. I know too much about his sleazy past and I saw too much of that quality in action during the primaries and the general election.  And while I hope he does well, I don't really expect it.  It's rare for men of low character to improve when power is handed to them.

On the off chance that it does refine him, however, then great. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:11 am »
That's simply not true.

We all know that Rush was pulling for Trump, but he NOT ONCE, ever reported or stated anything in the way of an endorsement, prior to the Convention.

He said TODAY that he 'knew' more than a year ago, that "Trump could possibly win this.....", but as a caller reminded us all today...

Even though we know where Rush's ideology falls, he NEVER lets that sway his conclusions when he states his POV on a matter or event.

IOW, he does what the everyday journalist did, Lord knows, how many eons ago...He REPORTED, without giving away his political leanings.   That's a foreign concept today.

One need look no further than the dean of the Limbaugh University for Advanced Conservative Studies defense of Trump's proposed 1 trillion stimulus plan. "It'll be different this time."

Trump will be better than Hillary but anyone buying what Rush is selling is asking to be made a fool of.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2016, 01:10:20 am »
That's a great big beautiful wal.............Wait a minute. That's no wall!

Silver Pines

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 01:22:33 am »
That's a great big beautiful wal.............Wait a minute. That's no wall!

Lol

Offline chae

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 01:29:34 am »
Yeah, Rush really earned his "Presidntial knee-pads" today.

Online corbe

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2016, 01:30:13 am »
@240B

But so many of his hardcore fans took it all as gospel.

Regardless, I expect most of them will attempt to justify it, as you're doing here, every time he backs away from those promises he made....at least publically, in order to save face.  Privately, some of them will be furious that they fell for his schtick. 

By the first midterms they'll all be saying "I never trusted Trump, I was a Cruzer the whole way!!!"
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2016, 01:32:42 am »

By the first midterms they'll all be saying "I never trusted Trump, I was a Cruzer the whole way!!!"
Don't get your hopes up. They might do that the day after the 2020 elections, though—after he either loses or goes full lame-duck the same way GWB did.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 01:40:15 am »

Don't get your hopes up. They might do that the day after the 2020 elections, though—after he either loses or goes full lame-duck the same way GWB did.

You're willfully blind, or haven't learned a thing the past nineteen months.   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 01:53:36 am »
I just wonder how many years it will be before his supporters realize it.

(I'm pessimistic.  I think they die and only recognize it when judged.  And even then, many will probably choose hell rather than admit error and recant.)

sooner or later, chaffing curbs masturbatory zeal... Jussayin'

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 02:10:51 am »
Gingrich told NPR's "Morning Edition" that he was told Trump “now says [the phrase] was cute, but he doesn’t want to use it anymore.”....

By February, we will hear:

Trump now says [pretending to be a Conservative] was cute, but he doesn’t want to do it anymore.”....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:11:57 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline Idiot

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2016, 02:20:26 am »
This is why I voted for the man who told the truth whether I liked what I was hearing or not.
@Cripplecreek
 :amen:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2016, 03:26:46 am »

Funny fact, I was a Cruz supporter the whole way. It is just that 'reality' got in the way of what was, and what I wanted it to be.

I agree with you, to the extent that I am able to agree with you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:02:03 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2016, 09:55:01 am »
Very predictable responses, from very predictable people.

Say what you want of me. But I still have confidence that all of you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Hell, he has already done more to 'drain the swamp' just with his cabinet picks than Bush/Obama did in eight years.

But, none the less, carry on with your hate-fest. Please don't let me interrupt.
I already know that nothing will ever change your mind.
Frankly, If you're happy with his abdication of his promises, well, how you feel is up to you.

Please don't mind if the rest of us notice that he is not exactly living up to his promises, walking back his seminal positions during the campaign.

Now, he isn't sworn in yet, so I'll give him some time, but the only really fair standards (besides the ones those of us who didn't support him in the first place might impose), are how he performs those acts he promised to perform. He wrote that standard, himself.

Saying he is better than Hillary would have been, ignores the fact that she isn't, won't, can't, and that is speculation anyway. So all that is left is what he does compared to what he said he'd do.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:56:09 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2016, 11:40:14 am »
Is there any bigger swamp creature than than Newt?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idiot

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2016, 04:07:36 pm »
Frankly, If you're happy with his abdication of his promises, well, how you feel is up to you.

Please don't mind if the rest of us notice that he is not exactly living up to his promises, walking back his seminal positions during the campaign.

Now, he isn't sworn in yet, so I'll give him some time, but the only really fair standards (besides the ones those of us who didn't support him in the first place might impose), are how he performs those acts he promised to perform. He wrote that standard, himself.

Saying he is better than Hillary would have been, ignores the fact that she isn't, won't, can't, and that is speculation anyway. So all that is left is what he does compared to what he said he'd do.
@Smokin Joe
 :thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

And don't hesitate to slap me back if I get out of line.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-