Author Topic: Neo-Nazis are targeting Jewish people in small-town Montana  (Read 6449 times)

HonestJohn

Neo-Nazis are targeting Jewish people in small-town Montana
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:59:24 pm »
Neo-Nazis are targeting Jewish people in small-town Montana

by Kwame Opam
@kwameopam 
Dec 19, 2016
2:31pm EST

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/19/14007304/neo-nazis-richard-spencer-jewish-community-whitefish-montana

White supremacists made calls last week urging their online supporters to harass Jewish people in Whitefish, Montana. The anti-Semitic attacks come after Sherry Spencer, mother of prominent white nationalist and alt-right leader Richard Spencer, claimed the reaction to her son’s views hurt her real estate business in the town. Her statements have since fueled the online vitriol of trolls, who’ve labeled Jewish people there with the Star of David and even directed harassment at a child.

Neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer made perhaps the most brazen call for anti-Semitic harassment last Friday, falsely claiming that Jewish organizations in Montana were attempting to extort the Spencer family. “All of these Jew organizations engage in this transparent extortion racket with impunity,” writes the site’s Andrew Anglin after saying Jews are “a vicious, evil race of hate-filled psychopaths.”

In reality, community members in Whitefish expressed their concern about Sherry Spencer’s business being connected to a white nationalist. Mrs. Spencer, who has stated publicly that she and her husband Rand “unequivocally do not agree” with their son’s views, spoke with the Daily Mail recently to say the negative attention was hurting her business, and singled out Love Lives Here, a Montana-based organization that promotes equality in the area, for doing some of the harm. She never once mentions Jewish people, however.

The Daily Stormer lists the names, addresses, phone numbers, and Twitter handles of several activists and community members with Love Lives Here. Also listed is the photo and Twitter account of one activist’s young son. His Twitter account is now disabled.

Former Klan leader

David Duke has since voiced his support of the white supremacist campaign. Those listed have been receiving threats all weekend. According to the Washington Post, one such threat read, “Go choke on a shotgun and die.”

White nationalists appear emboldened by the election of Donald Trump, with some prominent figures like Richard Spencer entering the spotlight. Since then, incidents motivated by hate have spiked across the country, with the Southern Poverty Law Center reporting more than 400 occurring in the week after Election Day.

Meanwhile, Spencer himself is exploring a bid for a seat in Congress:

(more at link)

HonestJohn

Re: Neo-Nazis are targeting Jewish people in small-town Montana
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 10:59:51 pm »
Where have we seen these guys before?

Hmmm.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 01:08:19 am »
OK, if this is true it's obviously a concern.  I find the story hard to follow and the site is not one I would normally find credible:  "The Verge covers life in the future. The Verge is part of the Vox Media family and joined by Vox.com, SB Nation, Polygon, Eater, Racked, Curbed, and Re/code, .."  Is there any other site reporting this?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:13:45 am »
There are Jews in MT? Who knew?

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:57:23 am »
OK, if this is true it's obviously a concern.  I find the story hard to follow and the site is not one I would normally find credible:  "The Verge covers life in the future. The Verge is part of the Vox Media family and joined by Vox.com, SB Nation, Polygon, Eater, Racked, Curbed, and Re/code, .."  Is there any other site reporting this?

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/221944

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/12/19/jewish-leaders-in-richard-spencers-hometown-targeted-in-posting-on-neo-nazi-website/?utm_term=.9894ed9e7852

http://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-1.760122

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:01:17 am »
Scumbags.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:32 am »
OK, if this is true...

We'd be foolish not to be pretty skeptical of these claims by now.

For one, I can see Jews being singled out back 50 or 60 years ago by skinheads when the nation was far more white. But now, with the rising anger in the black community, with illegal immigration, and muslim terrorism being constantly in the news now it seems silly skinheads would think to direct their bile at Jews.

Nothing to back this up, its just an impression.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 02:12:24 am »

For one, I can see Jews being singled out back 50 or 60 years ago by skinheads when the nation was far more white. But now, with the rising anger in the black community, with illegal immigration, and muslim terrorism being constantly in the news now it seems silly skinheads would think to direct their bile at Jews.

Riiiight.  With multiple other news sources both domestic and international verifying this...

...and you call this questionable?

WTF?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 02:17:01 am »
Riiiight.  With multiple other news sources both domestic and international verifying this...

...and you call this questionable?

WTF?

And us anti Trump people are still being targeted by these scumbags because apparently I'm a race traitor with genetic impurities if I don't support Trump.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 02:39:00 am »
I'm 15 miles away from Whitefish, and this is the first I've heard about it... And being Christian Messianic, I am fairly plugged into the Jewish community here.

The Aryans are here, big-time, but mostly up around the Eureka and Libby area, at least in an organized fashion.

Dunno what to make of it. However, Whitefish is a whacko-liberal ski-town, which might have something to do with it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 03:20:26 am »

There seems to have been a resurgence in the skinhead types channeling their anger at Jewish people again. It is 1932 all over again in the reasoning, in a way it seems like a build out from the Occupy movements. They are digging up the old "Protocols" conspiracies- the Jews control the currency, the media, the banks, etc. The losers in life (aka skinhead types) look for someone to blame. They can only scream about Mexicans 'taking their jobs' so much, then they start to go after the bankers and who they think controls the money.

... I've even been hearing and reading the sneers and whispered comments coming from the non-skinhead types too.. Especially this year when some have focused on political opposition having similar names. Even a certain other website, that claims to stand against antisemitism seems to have a deep hatred for anyone who is Jewish who doesn't believe in lock step what they do.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:31 am »

Keep in mind that people who are angry do silly things. Once they have settled on a scapegoat, they seldom let that go.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:06 am »
Ok,so apparently 'Love Lives Here' ( http://loveliveshereflathead.org/ ), affiliated with Montana Human Rights Network,  talked some smack about this spencer guy's parents who live here in Whitefish (and to some degree Texas)... I guess they own a building up in whitefish, and whacko-left 'LoveLivesHere' got some sort of boycott going... and poisoned the water as it were for Spencer's parents around town, parents who seem to be caught in the middle...

See here for a letter to the editor of the Daily Interlake by his parents, who decry their son's politics: http://www.dailyinterlake.com/opinion/letters/opinion-an-appeal-to-whitefish-live-and-let-live/article_8344f38e-c4c7-11e6-969a-43ecb43f818b.html

More smoke than fire, like I thought... Whitefish is a far-left burg - liberal as they come. I can see why it was easy to get those folks riled up against racism, and having the parents of a high profile Aryan minded guy living in their town. Of all the towns this side of the Rockies liberal Whitefish (and Missoula, maybe) is the last place skinheads would want to be, or are, in any force.

Apparently, this spencer dude took exception, retaliating with threats of picketing and national coverage... which it seems, both sides are using to jack up this tempest in a teapot.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »
"Neo-Nazis are targeting Jewish people in small-town Montana"

BOTH of them?

At the same time?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
Bookmarking.

Thanks for the personal insight @roamer_1
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »
BOTH of them?

The (Reformed) synagogue here in town has 70-100 members at a guess... Not counting Messianic Jews and Messianic Christians...

But your point is taken.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 03:31:45 pm »
Keep in mind that people who are angry do silly things. Once they have settled on a scapegoat, they seldom let that go.

True. I suppose I'm expecting anger should be based in some kind of logic and I don't get their's.

@Smokin Joe

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »
True. I suppose I'm expecting anger should be based in some kind of logic and I don't get their's.

@Smokin Joe

You just clarified for me what bothers me about this story.  Anger is a reaction to a perceived threat.  What's the perceived threat from Jewish people in Whitefish?  As you say, there is not necessarily any logic involved.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »
You just clarified for me what bothers me about this story.  Anger is a reaction to a perceived threat.  What's the perceived threat from Jewish people in Whitefish?  As you say, there is not necessarily any logic involved.

Maybe its just plain ol' ignorance relying on rote. Skinheads have never been known as deep thinkers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 03:56:48 pm »
The (Reformed) synagogue here in town has 70-100 members at a guess... Not counting Messianic Jews and Messianic Christians...

But your point is taken.

@roamer_1

I have to admit to being shocked. I know this is stereotyping,but Jews are big city dwellers for the most part.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »
The Nazis have always been around. They are just getting more attention from the MSM so they can attach them to Trump. More attention means more followers.

Countdown to Resignation

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 04:38:53 pm »
@roamer_1

I have to admit to being shocked. I know this is stereotyping,but Jews are big city dwellers for the most part.

LOL! The stereotype remains... Not a lot of cowboys named @Hopalong Ginsberg ...
They are town folk here for the most part.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 02:44:58 am »

@Smokin Joe
Well, @skeeter , If you recall your Star Trek, The Vulcans eliminated emotion because it isn't logical.

Now, that was fiction, but in it is that shred of truth.
Anger isn't logical.

That's not to say that within the thought processes of the angry there isn't some form of logic, but in their tunnel vision, anything which would deprive them of the flux of anger--a 'high' almost as powerful as an adrenaline response, and partly composed of that (in groups, combined with a feeling of belonging, and a sense of group superiority) is just plain evil and part of the problem.

Keep in mind, that in that narrow focus, these people believe they are the only ones who know the true nature of the world's problems--and the solitary cause of those problems, be that cause an individual or a group of people, there is a sense of logic--a 'logic' which falls apart when subjected to all the facts ignored to determine the scapegoat(s) are deserving of whatever evil can be made to befall them.

It's a sick and twisted thought process, often with an apocalyptic 'solution' to the 'problem', but never burdened by any sense of doubt that it is the only one which knows what is going on, the only one which knows who is responsible (and never accepting any responsibility itself), and the only one(s) who can 'fix' it.

For all practical purposes, we'd  refer to a single person who exhibited those characteristics as a nutcase or some sort of sociopath. We'd see a group of them, religiously following a single leader as a cult, and a whole crapload of them as a political party.

Now, there isn't anything wrong with knowing the world's problems (kind of a downer, but still...) There isn't anything wrong with knowing who is to blame (really, we all are, to some extent). As for being the only one(s) who know the solution, now you're getting into rough terrain. Sometimes, on a small scale in the big world, you just might be (The only one who knows the solution--so share it!), but on a global basis, anyone who could solve all the world's problems has a far higher likelihood of being crucified than elected a leader.

At least that''s the way it has played out so far.

Admittedly, the end of that story (still in progress) is apocalyptic, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 02:46:43 am »
LOL! The stereotype remains... Not a lot of cowboys named @Hopalong Ginsberg ...
They are town folk here for the most part.

@roamer_1

LOL!

Ever hear of a band named "Kinky Freidman and the Texas Jewboys"?