Author Topic: Two More States May Have Had Election Information Hacked by Department of Homeland Security  (Read 1343 times)

rangerrebew

Two More States May Have Had Election Information Hacked by Department of Homeland Security

December 19, 2016| by Donn Marten

With the 24/7 media caterwauling about the Russians hacking the election it has gone unmentioned that there WAS a government attempt to breach voter data – by Obama’s DHS. Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp demanded answers when it was discovered that the Department of Homeland Security attempted to hack into state voter information databases, a piece of information that should have an honest media demanding answers from the Obama administration.

Now in addition to the DHS attempts at penetrating the Georgia system it has been divulged that similar efforts may have been made in West Virginia and Kentucky.

According to a report from Atlanta television station WSB-TV “2 More states confirm suspected cyberattacks sourced to DHS”:

http://downtrend.com/donn-marten/two-more-states-may-have-had-election-information-hacked-by-department-of-homeland-security
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:44:51 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Georgia election officials accuses DHS of hacking state computer system

By Andrew Blake - The Washington Times - Friday, December 9, 2016

Georgia’s top election official this week accused the U.S. Department of Homeland Security of trying to hack a computer network containing the state’s voter registration database.

Brian Kemp, Georgia’s secretary of state, demanded information about the alleged intrusion attempt in a letter sent Thursday to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson.

“On Nov. 15, an IP address associated with the Department of Homeland Security made an unsuccessful attempt to penetrate the Georgia Secretary of State’s firewall. I am writing you to ask whether DHS was aware of this attempt and, if so, why DHS was attempting to breach our firewall,” Mr. Kemp wrote.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/9/georgia-election-officials-accuses-dhs-hacking-sta/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:50:46 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well, that's scary.  WTH?

rangerrebew

Well, that's scary.  WTH?

I have seen or heard much about this from the MSM.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

"Not much" or exactly nothing?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Two More States May Have Had Election Information Hacked by Department of Homeland Security

December 19, 2016| by Donn Marten

With the 24/7 media caterwauling about the Russians hacking the election it has gone unmentioned that there WAS a government attempt to breach voter data – by Obama’s DHS. Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp demanded answers when it was discovered that the Department of Homeland Security attempted to hack into state voter information databases, a piece of information that should have an honest media demanding answers from the Obama administration.

Now in addition to the DHS attempts at penetrating the Georgia system it has been divulged that similar efforts may have been made in West Virginia and Kentucky.

According to a report from Atlanta television station WSB-TV “2 More states confirm suspected cyberattacks sourced to DHS”:

http://downtrend.com/donn-marten/two-more-states-may-have-had-election-information-hacked-by-department-of-homeland-security

DHS has a long history of having their systems hacked by the Chinese and Russians.   They respond by awarding their IT contracts to the same companies and cutting budgets for IT security.   Their security officials then get jobs at those companies.

Of course it could also be intentional.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Resp3

That's because they've been good little lapdogs and have been parroting the democrat complaints that it's the evil corrupt Russian government that's been hacking our election results.

And not our OWN evil corrupt government.

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew
@Sanguine
@mystery-ak
@Oceander

From the article:
“This IP address did access our election night results on November 7, 2016.” Kentucky responded the same IP address “did touch the KY (online voter registration) system on one occasion, 11/1/16.”

"did access our election night results"
That was not a hack.  Anyone can "access" election night returns by clicking on the Secretary of State website, and clicking on "election night results".  I do it on every election here in Texas - those results are there for anyone to see.  When I do it, certainly my computer IP address is registered on their website guts to see which IP addresses looked at those results.  So, they saw that Homeland Security looked at the election results.

"Kentucky responded the same IP address “did touch the KY (online voter registration) system on one occasion, 11/1/16.”

That was not a hack, either.  Homeland Security's IP address was there that they "looked" at their online voter registration system.  There is a blank form on every Secretary of State's website to register to vote.  Anyone can look at that form.  If I looked at their form, my IP address would register in the guts of their website that I had been there to look.  You can print that form, fill it out, and take it to your county voter registrar to register to vote.

General information about actual voter lists:
When I worked in the Republican Party, I had to pay for the county voter list in my county and pay for any other county's voter list.  These were on disks at that time.  One year I helped some state judges with their elections and they paid for each  county's voter list in their district and sent those to me.  All those were disks which I downloaded to my computer.

Then, technology was improved, and our State Republican Party had all our county voter lists on the web.  No more paying for voter lists.  One had to have a code from the state party to access a county voter list.  That, of course, was needed to keep unauthorized persons from getting those lists.  I was given a code to access my county and other codes to access other county lists I needed when helping Republican candidates in other counties or district candidates involving multiple counties. 

Shortly after the above happened, the Republican National Party got the entire nation's voter list, as did the Democrats.  Those lists are available to their national candidates.

So, voter lists are not private information that no one can get.  Homeland Security can have those lists without "hacking" into a state's voter list.  It would be ridiculous to do that when the lists are available.

When people don't understand the process, they can get unhinged to think Homeland Security must have broken the law to "look at" a blank form on the SOS website or "look at" their election night voter results.  Seeing the Homeland Security IP address looked at a website is only that, they looked at information there for all to see.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:46:57 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline driftdiver

@rangerrebew
@Sanguine

From the article:
“This IP address did access our election night results on November 7, 2016.” Kentucky responded the same IP address “did touch the KY (online voter registration) system on one occasion, 11/1/16.”

"did access our election night results"
That was not a hack.  Anyone can "access" election night returns by clicking on the Secretary of State website, and clicking on "election night results".  I do it on every election here in Texas - those results are there for anyone to see.  When I do it, certainly my computer IP address is registered on their website guts to see which IP addresses looked at those results.  So, they saw that Homeland Security looked at the election results.

"Kentucky responded the same IP address “did touch the KY (online voter registration) system on one occasion, 11/1/16.”

That was not a hack, either.  Homeland Security's IP address was there that they "looked" at their online voter registration system.  There is a blank form on every Secretary of State's website to register to vote.  Anyone can look at that form.  If I looked at their form, my IP address would register in the guts of their website that I had been there to look.  You can print that form, fill it out, and take it to your county voter registrar to register to vote.

General information about actual voter lists:
When I worked in the Republican Party, I had to pay for the county voter list in my county and pay for any other county's voter list.  These were on disks at that time.  One year I helped some state judges with their elections and they paid for each  county's voter list in their district and sent those to me.  All those were disks which I downloaded to my computer.

Then, technology was improved, and our State Republican Party had all our county voter lists on the web.  No more paying for voter lists.  One had to have a code from the state party to access a county voter list.  That, of course, was needed to keep unauthorized persons from getting those lists.  I was given a code to access my county and other codes to access other county lists I needed when helping Republican candidates in other counties or district candidates involving multiple counties. 

Shortly after the above happened, the Republican National Party got the entire nation's voter list, as did the Democrats.  Those lists are available to their national candidates.

So, voter lists are not private information that no one can get.  Homeland Security can have those lists without "hacking" into a state's voter list.  It would be ridiculous to do that when the lists are available.

When people don't understand the process, they can get unhinged to think Homeland Security must have broken the law to "look at" a blank form on the SOS website or "look at" their election night voter results.  Seeing the Homeland Security IP address looked at a website is only that, they looked at information there for all to see.

@Victoria33

Other articles indicated a scan was performed from the DHS IP address.   That is not a link from a web form.    There is a significant difference.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Victoria33, so this "hack" was as much of a hack as the "Russian hack"?

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33, so this "hack" was as much of a hack as the "Russian hack"?
@Sanguine

It appears, maybe, that Russia hacked into the email account of Podesta.  That is a real hack if that happened.  Now, Russia can look at any SOS website in this country just as you can, and that is not a hack, that is public information.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
Other articles indicated a scan was performed from the DHS IP address.   That is not a link from a web form.    There is a significant difference.
@driftdiver

I would have to read that to evaluate it.  Words mean everything.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
@Victoria33

Downtrend tends to appeal to the emotional rather than the rational.

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

I would have to read that to evaluate it.  Words mean everything.

@Victoria33
Words do mean things.   http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/309530-state-of-georgia-allegedly-accusing-homeland-security-of-attempted-hack

Copying and pasting an excel sheet thats been posted on a website is vastly different then a penetration test or 'security scan'.   

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

@driftdiver
Words mean everything.

Except to our current President.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline MajorClay

Obama's DHS worse than "Russians"!!!   22222frying pan