Author Topic: China chokes under heavy smog with worse ahead  (Read 816 times)

rangerrebew

China chokes under heavy smog with worse ahead
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:11:17 pm »
Listen | Print
By AFP     7 hours ago in Environment
 1 of 2    

Hospital visits spiked, roads were closed and flights cancelled Monday as China choked under a vast cloud of toxic smog, with forecasters warning worse was yet to come.

At least 23 cities in the world's most populous nation have issued red alerts for air pollution since Friday, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

A host of emergency measures have been implemented to protect the public's health from the smog, which is smothering almost a ninth of the entire country.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/china-chokes-under-heavy-smog-with-worse-ahead/article/481996#ixzz4TIThnTmZ

rangerrebew

Re: China chokes under heavy smog with worse ahead
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:12:31 pm »
I don't believe I've ever heard St. Algore CRITICIZE China the way he has the U.S. but their problem seems much, much, much worse. :shrug:

Offline kidd

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:38:27 pm »
I was in China for three months of 2016 (three trips of one month each).

The air is filthy. It is especially filthy in Beijing. I missed a flight because my connection couldn't land in Beijing because of the pollution.
The air smelled like sulfur and visibility was less than 1/4 mile.

Yes, China's pollution is much, much worse than the United States. Any environmentalist who is unwilling to criticize China's pollution is disingenuous; it is a clear sign that they are either ignorant or have an agenda.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:40:57 pm by kidd »

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:40:18 pm »

The air is filthy. It is especially filthy in Beijing. I missed a flight because my connection couldn't land in Beijing because of the pollution.

Are you sure you weren't right outside the Capitol? :silly:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 02:44:48 am »
Open a google search page and enter "images Chinese air pollution".
Dozens of images that are... breathtaking to look at.

But then again... look at photos of Altoona Pennsylvania in the 1930's and 1940's. Altoona was where the big shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad were located, and back then the PRR was coal-powered. Folks in town had to wash down their walls once or twice a year to get the coal dust off -- the INSIDE of the homes.

Somewhere between Beijing and today's EPA in DC there's a balance that must be found. Perhaps it might be reached by rolling back current regs to where they were, say, in the year 2000. And leave things at that.

Lines from Si Kahn's great song "Aragon Mill":
At the east end of town
At the foot of the hill
There's a chimney so tall
That says "Aragon Mill".
But there's no smoke at all
Comin' out of that stack
For the mill has pulled out
And it ain't comin' back.

I wonder if the folks there would -like- to have smoke comin' out of the stacks again.
That meant jobs and the prosperity that followed.

Looks like the Chinese have taken the jobs, and received the pollution in spades...

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:52:14 am »
Interesting. I'm currently streaming The Crown and there is a episode about the deadly London smog of 1952.
I stand with Roosgirl.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 06:41:25 am »
China exports their yellow fog too. Japan and South Korea warn their residents not to breathe it when it comes over. Paper and cloth masks sell well.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 06:43:05 am »
I don't believe I've ever heard St. Algore CRITICIZE China the way he has the U.S. but their problem seems much, much, much worse. :shrug:

Most global warming treaties have exempted China and India....

Online DB

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 06:59:14 am »

Yes, China's pollution is much, much worse than the United States. Any environmentalist who is unwilling to criticize China's pollution is disingenuous; it is a clear sign that they are either ignorant or have an agenda.

Well that's because smog causes cooling (I've heard that claimed)... So China is doing its part to help the planet...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 07:58:59 am »

Sucks to be them. Hope this doesn't effect my Curry Chicken order from the Chinese restaurant this weekend.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:24:12 am »

Sucks to be them. Hope this doesn't effect my Curry Chicken order from the Chinese restaurant this weekend.

Looks good, although without any peppers you might notice it's not chicken.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.