Author Topic: Simple Explanation for the Political and Press Hysteria over Trump Election Victory  (Read 20700 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

No,you voted for either a Trump or a Clinton presidency,and now have to lie to  yourself to be able to sleep at night.

What this country needs at this point in a political,if not an actual,revolution to destroy the power of the inbred in office bunch. I see Trump as POSSIBLY a good start because he DID take on the establishment anti-freedom/anti-Constitutional powers that be,and weakened them. Time will tell on if he take the ball and runs with it,or fumbles the ball and loses. The one thing we DO know is a political outsider who had never held elective office in his life will soon be the President of the United States despite the best efforts of the DNC and the GOP and their Party People to stop him.

It ain't the end of the road,but it sure is a good first necessary step to convince the voting public that they really do NOT have to vote for the favored Party Candidates.
:silly:
You can't wrap your pointy head around the idea that "none of the above" was indeed a valid vote--or that 10% of the people who even dragged their pissed-off selves down to vote did so to vote for NEITHER Trump nor Hillary.

You are the one who can't comprehend. I sleep well at night knowing who I voted for and why. You are the one trying to project your thought pattern on everyone else, and that dog won't hunt.

As is on display daily, you demonstrate you don't know sh*t, Svengali. Give up the mind reading act and try climate science.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You can't wrap your pointy head around the idea that "none of the above" was indeed a valid vote--or that 10% of the people who even dragged their pissed-off selves down to vote did so to vote for NEITHER Trump nor Hillary.

You are the one who can't comprehend. I sleep well at night knowing who I voted for and why. You are the one trying to project your thought pattern on everyone else, and that dog won't hunt.

As is on display daily, you demonstrate you don't know sh*t, Svengali. Give up the mind reading act and try climate science.

@Smokin Joe

Well,bubba,I ain't the one that voted for Santa.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Coal for you, then!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
@Smokin Joe

All due respect Joe, (and that is great) it seems to me that it is you who do not seem to be willing to grant that the transcendent reality is that voting is at it's core and central nature not rightly an exercise in manifesting moral conscience.

Voting is rather intended to be primarily an exercise in strategic placement of power.

What the anti-Trump vote faction does in virtually all of these justifications posthaste, is employ a fairly common debate/trial law strategery (sic) which is to enlarge a very simple issue until it encompasses room for the insertion of a complex rationalization.

The rationalization is designed to satisfy an emotional need. In trail law, it is to satisfy the need for the jury to feel good about accepting a point and in debate or discussion (whether internal or conversational) to feel good about promoting an opinion. In this case it is making one's self feel better posthaste about doing something that part of the principle's mind and heart knows may not have been entirely justifiable from a moral perspective.

The fact is that we instinctively associate anything that we do which makes us feel better as being morally valid. It's right because it "clicks" emotionally when we do it. The more intense the positive feeling the more we tend to feel that the action was morally correct.

The objective test of moral validity is really not how great something makes us feel, (The German SS probably felt just great about forcing innocent people into gas chambers) but in whether a consistent rational thesis can be elucidated which supports an action. So far, though there have been some noble efforts by many of our fine GOPBR posters in that direction, I have not personally read anything that even comes close to success. 

The naked, ugly truth of this is clear because everyone who talks about why they voted FOR Trump also talk mostly about the effect their vote had on the real external world (effects), while everyone who justifies their vote against Trump(!) talk about their feelings (internal affects) or at best, strenuously hypothetical, speculative, conjecture-based effects which may or may not be manifest.

Poetry, literature, dance, music and painting are about celebrating feelings. Voting is about warfare and achieving victory.

I do not think less of people for voting against Trump and I don't really know of a consistent  moral argument which supports that attitude - those who voted against Trump had a moral and legal right to do that. What I take exception to is how some who voted against Trump try to pretend (especially to themselves) that their action had any major focus except making themselves feel better emotionally because clearly (at least to me and I think most other Trump supporters) it arguably did not.

The nature of the debate which has ensued about this election centers around that simple fact. Either the vote against Trump had significance other than how it made the people who did it feel or it did not. It seems to me that no amount of argument pro or con to that position will ever be effective because the judgment of whether or not something has "significance" has been enlarged into philosophical debates, which by definition have no conclusive, absolute answers.

So I prefer to leave it at the fact that I still respect people who voted against Trump, though many of these same people say that they do not respect me and those like me who did vote for him. The reason I respect people who voted against Trump is the same reason I respect some people who voted for Hill-O-Lies (or some other leftist swine). My respect for them has to do with the totality of their existence as U.S. citizens or permanent residents. I do not define people solely by their political perspective but by the larger effects of their overt behavior (what they do when they are not voting, which consists of about 99.99999% of the rest of their lives).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:42:34 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That reminds me...what's the over/under on the date John McCain first stabs Trump in the back on a close vote?

I'd say the odds are in the 100% range but that's just me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All due respect Joe, (and that is great) it you who do not seem to grasp the reality that voting is not an exercise in manifesting moral conscience. It is an exercise in strategic placement of power. What you are doing is enlarging a very simple issue until it encompasses room for you to insert a rationalization to satisfy your emotional need to feel good about doing something that part of you knows may not have been entire justifiable.

The fact is that many people instinctively associate anything that they do which makes them feel better as being morally valid. The test of moral validity is in whether a consistent rational thesis can be elucidated which supports a moral judgment in favor of the purport. So far, though there have been some noble efforts by many of our fine GOPBR posters I have not personally read anything that even comes close.

The naked, ugly truth of this is clear because everyone who talks about why they voted for Trump also talk about the effect their vote had on the real external world (effects), while everyone who justifies their vote against Trump(!) talk about their feelings (affects).

Poetry, literature, dance, music and painting are about feelings. Voting is about warfare and achieving victory.

@Smokin Joe  @LateForLunch

DAYUM! I sure wish *I* had written that!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@LateForLunch

...while everyone who justifies their vote against Trump(!) talk about their feelings (affects).

Patently untrue!  I didn't vote for Trump based on all of the historical facts and evidence before me and have never mentioned my feelings about it ever!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LateForLunch

@LateForLunch

Patently untrue!  I didn't vote for Trump based on all of the historical facts and evidence before me and have never mentioned my feelings about it ever!

You are the exception. You also didn't mention any sort of external effect upon the world achieved by your protest non-vote - least of all how refusing to support Trump generated any sort of significant outcome for anyone but yourself or those who felt as you did. So in a sense, you don't need to actually state it because it is obvious on its face that you (or anyone else) only ever does anything because  it feels better than doing the opposite.

I would be interested to hear any morally consistent opinion which establishes any tangible effect upon the real world generated by refusing to vote for what was arguably (and apparently more clearly every day) the most conservative candidate who could win.

There is a positive point in that regard that I have thought of, but I have not seen anyone make it yet on any of the anti-Trump vote posts. Maybe you will be the first and if you are, I will agree with you wholeheartedly, though it does not attain the level of a superior point, (obviously, or I would have not voted for Trump).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:05:41 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@LateForLunch

@Bigun

That means you either voted for Bubbette! or you didn't vote for a presidential candidate because you understood that either Bubbette! or Trump WAS going to be the next President and you wanted neither. 

Not voting because you wanted neither is an acceptable choice. Voting for someone other than Trump or Bubbette! was nothing but delusional. The only "message" that would send was the "I am divorced from reality and can be ignored" message.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

That means you either voted for Bubbette! or you didn't vote for a presidential candidate because you understood that either Bubbette! or Trump WAS going to be the next President and you wanted neither. 

Not voting because you wanted neither is an acceptable choice. Voting for someone other than Trump or Bubbette! was nothing but delusional. The only "message" that would send was the "I am divorced from reality and can be ignored" message.

You are entitled to your opinions!  I don't share them!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
I do not think less of people for voting against Trump and I don't really know of a consistent  moral argument which supports that attitude - those who voted against Trump had a moral and legal right to do that. What I take exception to is how some who voted against Trump try to pretend (especially to themselves) that their action had any major focus except making themselves feel better emotionally because clearly (at least to me and I think most other Trump supporters) it arguably did not.

The nature of the debate which has ensued about this election centers around that simple fact. Either the vote against Trump had significance other than how it made the people who did it feel or it did not. It seems to me that no amount of argument pro or con to that position will ever be effective because the judgment of whether or not something has "significance" has been enlarged into philosophical debates, which by definition have no conclusive, absolute answers.

So I prefer to leave it at the fact that I still respect people who voted against Trump, though many of these same people say that they do not respect me and those like me who did vote for him. The reason I respect people who voted against Trump is the same reason I respect some people who voted for Hill-O-Lies (or some other leftist swine). My respect for them has to do with the totality of their existence as U.S. citizens or permanent residents. I do not define people solely by their political perspective but by the larger effects of their overt behavior (what they do when they are not voting, which consists of about 99.99999% of the rest of their lives).

Well said

:beer:

Offline LateForLunch

hah hah I have not the slightest doubt that you are a terrific person and that if we met on the street I would gladly call you friend! That being said, I might also say that you have a knack for stating the obvious.

BTW, I wholly and absolutely agree with your avatar's message. The IRS is unnecessary. The roughly  $360 billion we spend on compliance costs associated with filing taxes every year in the USA is an ongoing crime against the Founders and common sense. Those financial resources could be much better allocated to other far-more constructive things.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:22:36 pm by LateForLunch »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
hah hah I have not the slightest doubt that you are a terrific person and that if we met on the street I would gladly call you friend! That being said, I might also say that you have a knack for stating the obvious.

BTW, I wholly and absolutely agree with your avatar's message. The IRS is unnecessary. The roughly  $360 billion we spend on compliance costs associated with filing taxes every year in the USA is an ongoing crime against the Founders and common sense. Those financial resources could be much better allocated to other far-more constructive things.

888high58888  :beer:

I learned a lot from an old PHD. Chem. E friend who used to say, when he tired of arguing with me,  "You are probably right!"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:14:22 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
All right @LateForLunch, you fail to realize something here. The transcendent reality is that The Constitution is at it's core and central nature rightly an exercise in manifesting moral conscience.

That little dissertation up thread would not be possible if someone hadn't made a moral decision and stuck with it. So there.  :tongue2:

@Smokin Joe @sneakypete
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

Poetry, literature, dance, music and painting are about celebrating feelings. Voting is about warfare and achieving victory.

Precisely. MAGA! TRUMP!!!TRUMP!!!TRUMP!!!! (Want a link to HarleyLady's songs?)

Perhaps the most emotionally saturated candidate I have seen since, well....Obama.

You lose--we all do.

That isn't saying that some things might not be done which need to be done, that the harm to this Republic might rolled back some, that Trump might not, for whatever reason be a good president.

But to deny the emotional ballyhoo that accompanied his candidacy would be to ignore the vitriol that drove people off websites and over which incredible rancor (and even some violence) has ensued.

If you can tell me that Trump's supporters weren't played, anger and emotion, or fear of Hillary, all the way, I will tell you to examine your own motives before you dare go poking at mine.

It was not without deliberation that I chose to vote for the candidate I felt was most likely to actually honor the Constitution of the United States, even though I had no hope aside from some major event likely to make history, that the candidate I voted for would win. I did not get to vote in the Primary for POTUS, because of the machinations of the State and National GOP--we had no primary to select a presidential candidate.
(That did make me a tad emotional. I am no longer a Republican after that crap).
But the candidate I selected was one who actually knows the document, who can apply originalist thought to that same Constitution. I find it sad (yeah, there is the remaining sum total of emotion) that an insufficient number of others realized that the supreme law of the land is more likely to be upheld by someone who knows and understands it than someone who doesn't know how many articles are in it, and who has all the signs of seeing it as another obstacle to be surmounted. I also like the idea of a candidate who knows both Corinthians.

Both major party candidates, one breaking, the other 'bending' the law, would readily do so if they felt the ends justified the means.

Ours is a system of government we may retain as long as we are a moral people. We won't. We aren't. And while politics ain't beanbag, it is only a war in that it is a war of ideas. The bloodshed will come later, because the correct ideas, the ideas on which this Republic was founded have not prevailed.

You may act as sanctimonious as you want, but do not pretend to know me or my motivations. You don't.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:42:21 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

Since the third party offerings were, really, little enough, and since the two major parties and
their (actual, alleged, or transient) voters saddled us with a race, really, between Caligula
and Queen Athaliah, I thanked God for my state having "None of These Candidates" as a
presidential ballot option. And, that casting a vote whichever way one chose to cast it did
not remove his or her right to hold the winner's feet to the fire in however small a fashion
available.

The election of a president does not carry an automatic immunity from critique, regard-
less of whether an incoming president does or doesn't have a "record" (those who think
the current president elect has no known "record," regardless of whether he has held public
office in the past, should think again---hard), and such critique is not an automatic exposure
of a critic's "hatred."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LateForLunch

hah hah hah Do you nice folks feel better now that you have gotten all of that out of your systems? Since feelings are all that you seem to really care about, I'm guessing that you do.

I consider you all to be still good people, though I can't say that I have any confidence that you view me or people like me in the same way. I do not hate anyone for disliking or voting against our new president - but I would not trust any of you in a political sense, any further than I could loft a 1000 pound pile of cow pucky.

DJT and Conway were 1000% correct to run a campaign which discarded the attempt to corral doctrinaire self-described "conservatives" (made content in political lethargy by their own self-adoring imaginary sense of ideological "purity") for the far-less ideological, far-more practical and down-to-Earth non-aligned (independent) voters. Some people are not open to rational argument because they cannot tolerate any admission of flaw or error in themselves or ideology. Selah.

There are some things in the universe which are fully, absolutely predictable. The transit of the stars in their courses through the Heavens. The inevitability of death. The levying of taxation by government on the backs of their productive constituent citizens. And now to that list, we may add the defensive, vituperation-laden rationalizations of people who feel the need to defend their decision to resign from the mainstream conservative political movement in the USA in 2016 because they got their collective feelings hurt in the primaries.

Rarely have I observed a more spectacular display of semantic sleight-of-hand, philosophical/verbal acrobatics and bald-faced, defiantly Cyclopean self-congratulation than in the copious, effusive flood of anti-Trumpster posts on this forum. Really something to see. No wonder the 'Crats thought that they were going to destroy DJT, there is no correlate traitor-faction on the left side of the political spectrum.

BTW, sorry for the long post earlier in the thread. I know that thinking deeply hurts some anti-Trumpsters in the head. Next time I promise to use pictures, hieroglyphics or an elementary-school level Power Point presentation. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:18:35 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Bigun

Ok. I can live with that.  If everyone suddenly started agreeing with me on everything,it would scare me more than a little.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
hah hah hah Do you nice folks feel better now that you have gotten all of that out of your systems? Since feelings are all that you seem to really care about, I'm guessing that you do.

I consider you all to be still good people, though I can't say that I have any confidence that you view me or people like me in the same way. I do not hate anyone for disliking or voting against our new president - but I would not trust any of you in a political sense, any further than I could loft a 1000 pound pile of cow pucky.

DJT and Conway were 1000% correct to run a campaign which discarded the attempt to corral doctrinaire self-described "conservatives" (made content in political lethargy by their own self-adoring imaginary sense of ideological "purity") for the far-less ideological, far-more practical and down-to-Earth non-aligned (independent) voters. Some people are not open to rational argument because they cannot tolerate any admission of flaw or error in themselves or ideology. Selah.

There are some things in the universe which are fully, absolutely predictable. The transit of the stars in their courses through the Heavens. The inevitability of death. The levying of taxation by government on the backs of their productive constituent citizens. And now to that list, we may add the defensive, vituperation-laden rationalizations of people who feel the need to defend their decision to resign from the mainstream conservative political movement in the USA in 2016 because they got their collective feelings hurt in the primaries.

Rarely have I observed a more spectacular display of semantic sleight-of-hand, philosophical/verbal acrobatics and bald-faced, defiantly Cyclopean self-congratulation than in the copious, effusive flood of anti-Trumpster posts on this forum. Really something to see. No wonder the 'Crats thought that they were going to destroy DJT, there is no correlate traitor-faction on the left side of the political spectrum.

BTW, sorry for the long post earlier in the thread. I know that thinking deeply hurts some anti-Trumpsters in the head. Next time I promise to use pictures, hieroglyphics or an elementary-school level Power Point presentation.

You tell 'em!
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

snip

Much better to win without doctrinaire approach, than to lose with it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

Well, you have been lofting that 'pucky' all over, so I'd say you are doing fairly well.
  Some people are not open to rational argument because they cannot tolerate any admission of flaw or error in themselves or ideology.
As we have observed.

The flaw isn't in me, not that I am without any flaws, but then, I wasn't running for POTUS. It is not only my Right, but my duty to choose the person whom I believe will best fill the office of POTUS. To assert that "Might makes Right", etc. is hardly something that will stand up to scrutiny. To place your trust in someone who lied their way into the nomination is no formula for success. To admit you were caught up with so many in the emotional onslaught that typified the Trump Railroad is just to admit you were carried away on the waves of desire for vengeance against all those you blame for the flaws in our country today, without accepting the responsibility for it. Those of us who would not board that train did so, not out of emotion, but the realization that those who cannot be trusted to tell the truth cannot be trusted in larger things. His entire campaign was based on the propagation of lies via "alternative media", which remains as trustworthy as a gaggle of gossips spewing vitriol.

There is a thread on this board of Trump's promises. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,233460.0.html  Let's see how he does, and where he backs water. I have great faith that those who supported him would still continue to do so if he gunned down people in Times Square, though perhaps some of the terror of Hillary and bloodthirsty fervor has subsided. Still, I do not expect those who were true blue, enthusiastic Trump supporters to ever admit him getting it wrong, and if they do, the list of excuses will doubtless rival the history of threads on this site.

Oh. Did we hurt your widdle feewings in the primaries, even though your guy won? Those of us who are Conservative remain so. It was those who rode the train out of town who abandoned their values, not us. Nice try. To redefine Trump as Conservative is one of the great pitfalls we warned of, and there you go. Nice try, but Trump has never been Conservative. If you would assert he is, you either need to take another look, or you aren't.
Nor have I seen such moral gymnastics to justify supporting an incontinent prevaricator, much less hold him up as "conservative", or to claim those who supported him wholeheartedly did so out of anything but out of Conservative values, not just raving anger or tail-growing fear. I cannot be a traitor to something I have never agreed with. Nor will I cast my moral standards to the wind over an election. But never have I seen such a graceless, horse corpse flogging bunch as Trumps True Believers, and reminiscent of their continued attacks on other Republicans even after Trump won the nomination, in true GOPee style, they continue to attack those who could be allies. Now, that's something even the Democrats have mastered. Maybe that's why they lost.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
No matter how well you articulate your position @LateForLunch, I find your thinking common.

Offline LateForLunch

No matter how well you articulate your position @LateForLunch, I find your thinking common.

Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment, as in "common sense", although that is surely not the way you intended it. No matter. I don't want to drag us any more off topic than we already are out of respect for the originator. I assume that the anti-Trump crowd will adapt to conditions and either change their attitude or not. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

I hope the people who post to defend their actions feel better and will live long and perspire.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:02:18 am by LateForLunch »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment, as in "common sense", although that is surely not the way you intended it. No matter. I don't want to drag us any more off topic than we already are out of respect for the originator. I assume that the anti-Trump crowd will adapt to conditions and either change their attitude or not. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

I hope the people who post to defend their actions feel better and will live long and perspire.

It isn't a statement of disrespect. I don't see anything in your argument that is new, or compelling. My philosophy is based on my 55 years of life experience. I plan on taking it to my grave-with no regret.

I have the expectation of ANY POTUS to best represent the entire nation with dignity, pride, respect, and civility. So far, trump isn't coming close to that expectation. All I see now is a sore winner carney barker.