Author Topic: Facebook to Censor “Fake News” With Help from Fact Checkers Snopes, Politifact, ABC News, and WAPO’s Fact Checker  (Read 1409 times)

rangerrebew

Facebook to Censor “Fake News” With Help from Fact Checkers Snopes, Politifact, ABC News, and WAPO’s Fact Checker
December 16, 2016 | Planet Free Will | planetfreewill.com | 108 views

by Joseph Jankowski

After Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg denounced the idea that fake news influenced the U.S. election as “a pretty crazy idea,” the social network has decided to fold under the pressure of current media narratives and will take measures to censor what is labeled “fake news” on users news feeds.

Facebook is partnering with numerous media organizations, including Snopes and ABC News, that make up part of an international fact-checking network led by Poynter, a nonprofit school for journalism located in St. Petersburg, Florida, reports Business Insider.

The social network will make it easier for its users to report what they deem as “fake news” and will launch this ability to a small percentage of its users in the U.S. for testing.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/facebook-to-censor-fake-news-with-help-from-fact-checkers-snopes-politifact-abc-news-and-wapos-fact-checker_122016
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:58:29 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

With that line up of "fact checkers," anything conservative is sure to be considered "fake" news. :wtf!:

Offline skeeter

Facebook to Censor “Fake News” With Help from Fact Checkers Snopes, Politifact, ABC News, and WAPO’s Fact Checker
December 16, 2016 | Planet Free Will | planetfreewill.com | 108 views

by Joseph Jankowski

After Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg denounced the idea that fake news influenced the U.S. election as “a pretty crazy idea,” the social network has decided to fold under the pressure of current media narratives and will take measures to censor what is labeled “fake news” on users news feeds.

Facebook is partnering with numerous media organizations, including Snopes and ABC News, that make up part of an international fact-checking network led by Poynter, a nonprofit school for journalism located in St. Petersburg, Florida, reports Business Insider.

The social network will make it easier for its users to report what they deem as “fake news” and will launch this ability to a small percentage of its users in the U.S. for testing.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/facebook-to-censor-fake-news-with-help-from-fact-checkers-snopes-politifact-abc-news-and-wapos-fact-checker_122016

Zuckerberg is simply opening up a business opportunity for some other enterprising person, at FB's expense.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
NOt necessarily censored, just have a popup that says "this hasn't been verified blah blah blah...".

:shrug:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
They are a private business, they can do what they want. If we as consumers don't like what they are selling, we can do business elsewhere.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
They are a private business, they can do what they want. If we as consumers don't like what they are selling, we can do business elsewhere.

A perfect example of why conservatives are losing the war on ideas.  Liberals put pressure on companies to change their ways.  Conservatives say, oh well if thats what they want to do.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

A perfect example of why conservatives are losing the war on ideas.  Liberals put pressure on companies to change their ways.  Conservatives say, oh well if thats what they want to do.

A private business selling the product they want to the consumer they want is very much a Conservative value.  Forcing a business to conform by anything other than the free market is not Conservative.

This isn't saying 'that's what they want to do', that is saying you as a consumer has a choice to not buy their product. Any more than that reeks of cronyism or bullying pressure.

Of course, if you disagree with what they do, but then continue to use their product, you are telling them you have no problem with it. It just takes the courage to walk away from a business.

rangerrebew

Case in point:  I have stopped watching the NFL since they have allowed those rich thugs to show disrespect for the American Flag.  They could have ended the whole thing by insuring teams were not on the field during the National Anthem.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

Where?  Or rather, what other company provides the same service that Failbook does?

Note that I don't disagree with your sentiment; I'm just pointing out that the real choice in this case is to put up with the company's choices, or do without the service.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:31:03 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline ABX

Where?  Or rather, what other company provides the same service that Failbook does?

Note that I don't disagree with your sentiment; I'm just pointing out that the real choice in this case is to put up with the company's choices, or do without the service.   :shrug:

Ello, Myspace technically still exists, if you want really right wing only, the Tea Party Community is actually based on Facebook's format- http://www.teapartycommunity.com/index.php?do=/ 

geronl

but but but "public accommodation"...

lol

Offline ABX

Offline bolobaby

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
With that line up of "fact checkers," anything conservative is sure to be considered "fake" news. :wtf!:
Who facts checks the fact checkers?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

HonestJohn

Google+ is one.

HonestJohn

Who facts checks the fact checkers?

From what I can gather, this just checks to see if anyone else has published news on the same event/topic/whatever.

If not, then it gets an 'unverified' tag.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

This quaint and somewhat naïve idea does not apply anywhere in American society.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.