Author Topic: 'Holiday,' 'evergreen trees' too religious for TWU  (Read 1089 times)

rangerrebew

'Holiday,' 'evergreen trees' too religious for TWU
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:43:24 pm »
'Holiday,' 'evergreen trees' too religious for TWU
Amber Athey
Amber Athey
Investigative Reporter
@amber_athey
Today at 9:30 AM EDT

A Texas Woman’s University prof. advises that the word “holiday” is no longer inclusive enough, and recommends that office parties should instead be called “end of semester parties.”

Texas Woman’s University is offering tips for an “all-inclusive, multicultural” Christmas season, warning that the word “holiday” is no longer inclusive enough and advising that office parties should instead be called “end of semester parties.”

“When planning December office parties that coincide with the Christmas season, it is a challenge for event organizers to make celebrations ‘all-inclusive,’” TWU explains in a news release. “Not all faith traditions have holidays in December, and not everyone identifies with a particular faith tradition.”

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8520
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:44:05 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: 'Holiday,' 'evergreen trees' too religious for TWU
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:44:44 pm »
I'll bet Ramadan is "diverse" enough, though. :whistle:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:00:08 pm »
I wonder how the 'hard-core' Santa is evil baptist types feel about this. Are they mad that the war on Christmas continues, or glad that a 'pagan' tradition has been stopped?

Personally I think this conferphobia needs to stops. All tree lives matter.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:24:12 pm »
While they are at it, they should go after fireplace mantels as religious symbols since prior to the Christmas tree being used, things were hung on the mantel.  If you go to the Lincoln home in Springfield, you can still see the holes where Christmas stockings were hung.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:34:21 pm »
We are going to be right by TWU later this week, I may have to peek at the campus to see if this is just one prof mouthing off or if the entire campus is impacted. (I have a feeling the former).

It is a very good school though. My wife got her Master's there and is considering going back there for her PhD.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 10:50:53 pm »
This is an insidious plot.  Blame must be planted where this is rooted.  Damn Tree Huggers are branching out to defoliate the holidays.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:00:21 pm »
We are going to be right by TWU later this week, I may have to peek at the campus to see if this is just one prof mouthing off or if the entire campus is impacted. (I have a feeling the former).

It is a very good school though. My wife got her Master's there and is considering going back there for her PhD.

My mother went there.  She would be appalled.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 03:30:14 pm »
I went by there and there are Christmas trees up everywhere. We stopped by the library and the Margo Jones Performance Hall and it was all decked out for Christmas. This appears to be just one SJW professor with a big mouth but the rest of the campus is ignoring her. Pictures to come later.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 03:37:16 pm »
TWU also issued a response:

Message About Holiday Media Coverage Concerns

Texas Woman's University has a long and storied history of going out of its way to make sure everyone, including Christians, feels comfortable in celebrating their traditions and their faiths at this time of year. For many decades, and still today, TWU has celebrated and is celebrating Christmas traditions that include: lighting celebrations; sending holiday cards; providing housing to students without places to stay; and our faculty and staff have given thousands of gifts to our students’ children, and community residents in need at this time of year.

Recently we published a collection of stories online offering tips for the holidays — giving back to the community, managing stress, keeping personal information safe online, and more. One story in this “holiday tips” package included suggestions from a Texas Woman’s University faculty member on possible alternatives to a traditional office holiday party. The story noted that employers may face challenges when planning a party that appropriately recognizes all faiths and backgrounds, and the article provided ideas on how employers can host gatherings that make all employees feel included.

We apologize for any concerns that this article may have caused our alumni and others. And we would like to assure everyone that Texas Woman’s University believes all people should be able to enjoy and celebrate Christmas and all other religious traditions.

Thank you for your understanding. We hope that no matter your faith, this holiday season finds you well. Wishing you a Merry Christmas...Happy Hanukkah … a Wonderful Kwanzaa ... and peace and good will in the new year.

http://www.twu.edu/news/12-15-16-message-about-holiday-media-coverage-concerns-.asp

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:59:11 pm »
I'm Jewish and I love Christmas trees.

They don't bother me at all, I think they are lovely. As is everything about Christmas.

I wish people would learn to chillax.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 04:24:34 pm »
I went by there and there are Christmas trees up everywhere. We stopped by the library and the Margo Jones Performance Hall and it was all decked out for Christmas. This appears to be just one SJW professor with a big mouth but the rest of the campus is ignoring her. Pictures to come later.
Good thanks for the update.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour