Author Topic: The FDA's Unauthorized War on Pipes and Cigars  (Read 1053 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The FDA's Unauthorized War on Pipes and Cigars
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:58:14 pm »
...The FDA wants for anyone hand-rolling cigars to register with the government; same with artisan pipe makers. Tobacconists would no longer be able to offer their store's unique blends without special permission, and no cigar or pipe tobacco introduced after 2007 would have much of a chance of being allowed into the marketplace.

When representatives of the cigar and pipe industries pointed out to the FDA that these regulations would effectively put hundreds of stores out of business, their reply was frightening.....

http://reason.com/archives/2016/12/13/the-fdas-unauthorized-war-on-pipes-and-c

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: The FDA's Unauthorized War on Pipes and Cigars
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 11:36:11 pm »
What the bleeping heck. For what's its worth a pipe is generally healthier (less un-healthy I guess) that cigarettes. Freedom sure ain't what it used to be.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:01:55 am »
Don't look now but they've also put a full court press on e-cigarettes.

The new regulations are specifically designed to target mom and pop shops across the U.S.  Of course, those cheap ecigs you find for sale in convenience stores which are branded by big tobacco are exempt from these new regulations.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »
Big tobacco undoubtedly supports this stuff for the same reason Exxon and the like support oil regulation.  It hurts the small guy, which is their nascent competition
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »
Don't look now but they've also put a full court press on e-cigarettes.

The new regulations are specifically designed to target mom and pop shops across the U.S.  Of course, those cheap ecigs you find for sale in convenience stores which are branded by big tobacco are exempt from these new regulations.

I continue to wonder under what authority does the federal government have the right to regulate e cigarettes.

I sure have trouble finding it under the mission statement of the FDA

Statement of FDA Mission
FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety,
efficacy and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical
devices, our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation.   
FDA is also responsible for advancing the public health by helping to speed
innovations that make medicines more effective, safer, and more affordable and
by helping the public get the accurate, science-based information they need to
use medicines and foods to maintain and improve their health.  FDA also has
responsibility for regulating the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of
tobacco products to protect the public health and to reduce tobacco use by
minors. 

FDA also plays a significant role in the Nation’s counterterrorism capability.  FDA
fulfills this responsibility by ensuring the security of the food supply and by
fostering development of medical products to respond to deliberate and naturally
emerging public health threats.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:59:06 pm »
Big tobacco undoubtedly supports this stuff for the same reason Exxon and the like support oil regulation.  It hurts the small guy, which is their nascent competition

I think a company like Exxon does not support regulation to hurt the little guy.  That is not its chief competition.

It gets involved in oil regulation in order to have ab input on decisions made that affect it.  It additionally is interested in ensuring that any regulation is uniformly applied without favoritism.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 05:31:39 pm »

I think a company like Exxon does not support regulation to hurt the little guy.  That is not its chief competition.

It gets involved in oil regulation in order to have ab input on decisions made that affect it.  It additionally is interested in ensuring that any regulation is uniformly applied without favoritism.

Nope.  Big companies get involved in regulation in good part to stifle competition.  SIFI status for big banks doesn't reel them in, it protects them from the consequences of their own mistakes and it squelches local and regional banks because they can't afford the compliance costs nor can they shift those costs to their customers the way the big banks can. 

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 07:54:46 pm »
Ahhh memories of a long stem filled with a cherry vanilla blend.  [puff]

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:38:33 pm »
I continue to wonder under what authority does the federal government have the right to regulate e cigarettes.

Under their own.

The wording of the regulation makes this leap early on when they declare any e-cig product a tobacco product.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »

Well, you are incorrect.  I have first hand knowledge.  HR regs, environmental regs, etc., are all designed to prevent new companies.  It's impossible to start up without millions of dollars just to comply with red tape.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.