Author Topic: The 'Rio boom' that did not happen: Why do Cities Host the Olympics?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/12/the_rio_boom_that_did_not_happen.html

Silvio Canto Jr.

Why do cities host Olympic games?   

The official answer is always "pride" or to project "modernity" as was the case of Mexico in 1968. Back then, Mexico used the Olympics to project a modern image with skyscrapers, expressways, and a growing middle class.

The unofficial, or the other answer, is that they are hoping to create an economic boom. In Brazil's case, there is a great rivalry between Rio and Sao Paulo. We understand that kind of rivalry in Texas thanks to Dallas vs. Houston.

So far, the boom did not happen in Rio after the 2016 Olympics. Let's check with Dom Phillips:

Three months after its successful staging of the Summer Olympics, Brazil’s cultural hub should be riding high. Instead it is a financial, political, crime-ridden mess.

The Rio de Janeiro state government is broke, struggling to pay salaries. On Tuesday, riot police fired tear gas, rubber bullets and percussion grenades at public-sector workers protesting a proposed austerity package. Among the protesters: police, firefighters and teachers. Some of the protesters hurled rocks and fireworks back at the riot police.

Two former governors have been arrested, one accused of vote-buying, the other of running a vast corruption ring. Prosecutors are investigating billions of dollars in state tax exemptions that benefited luxury jewelers, construction companies and even brothels. And violent crime continues to surge, along with allegations of execution-style mass killings by overtaxed police.

Rather than the bright, post-Olympic future they were promised, many Cariocas — as Rio’s citizens are known — fear the city is doubling down on the chaos and corruption of its past.

All of this is happening at a time when Brazil is undergoing political corruption scandals and its economy is lousy. This is from CNN Money:

About 12 million Brazilians are now out of work, up from 8.8 million a year ago, recent government figures show.

On Tuesday officials announced that Brazil's industrial production declined so much in August, it wiped out the gains from the past five months.

We remind you that Brazil is one of the Top GDPs in the world. In other words, a lousy economy in Brazil drags down a lot of South Amerca.

As always, there are a few lessons for all from the mess in Rio.

The first lesson is that crony capitalism will always make the connected rich and the disconnected angry. The stories of politicians and business leaders toasting champagne and adding to their fortunes are now filling the front pages. Let's give a cheer for crony capitalism!

The second lesson is that these Olympics games are just too much for most countries to digest. They force countries to build stadia and housing units that lie empty after the event.

It leaves you wondering if the whole darn thing was worth it. So far, most people in Brazil will scream "no" and add a Portuguese expletive!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: The 'Rio boom' that did not happen: Why do Cities Host the Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:21:18 pm »
All the Olympics did for Rio was remind the world what a shithole it is, literally.

Here's my 2 cents worth -- Why not select a PERMANENT place for both the Summer and Winter Olympics?

That way, no cities will need to spend billions to build stadiums and such.

I suggest Greece ( since it is the birthplace of the Olympics ) as the permanent site with patticipating countries all over the world chipping in for the event and the profits from the event distributed to contributors in proportion to their contribution.

For the Winter Olympics, I suggest Salt Lake City or Lake Placid.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:48:56 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »
Here's my 2 cents worth -- Why not select a PERMANENT place for both the Summer and Winter Olympics?

That way, no cities will need to spend billions to build stadiums and such.

I suggest Greece ( since it is the birthplace of the Olympics ) as the permanent site with patticipating countries all over the world chipping in for the event and the profits from the event distributed to contributors in proportion to their contribution.

For the Winter Olympics, I suggest Salt Lake City or Lake Placid.

:thumbsup:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 04:31:21 pm »
I think SLAL edited my post, I did not write that. I wrote the bit about the world being reminded what a literal shithole Rio is.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:19:19 pm »
You are right, I responded to the S__T hole comment. My apologies.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 05:50:06 pm »
They're massive public works projects, for one. Hosting a world-class event is a good way to force through that billion-dollar new stadium your football team owner wants.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:21:30 pm »
They're massive public works projects, for one. Hosting a world-class event is a good way to force through that billion-dollar new stadium your football team owner wants.

The next question is --- What happens after the 2 week world-class event is over?

geronl

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:23:05 pm »
It's a boondoggle of epic proportions and host nations rob their people to pay for it.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 08:35:50 pm »
The next question is --- What happens after the 2 week world-class event is over?

In western developed countries they are nearly all still in use 20-30 years after the Olympics. In eastern and developing countries they are run down and unused.

@SirLinksALot
@geronl

geronl

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 08:38:45 pm »
South Korea is trying to make sure that their winter olympic venues in Pyeongchang will still be viable afterwards.

I've been blocked from USA Today but the first ice event has just been held at Pyeongchang, a speed skating event

Asians... heh....

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 08:39:52 pm »
With kickbacks going to the IOC.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 08:43:57 pm »

Because all the elected officials and the IOC skim off the top and get rich. These events are nothing but a grift.

geronl

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 08:50:39 pm »
In western developed countries they are nearly all still in use 20-30 years after the Olympics. In eastern and developing countries they are run down and unused.

@SirLinksALot
@geronl

Not completely true. Athens, Greece is western and it's site was abandoned. Much of the venues in other locations are too. Serejevo was idle and rotting before that war broke out.

Sadly, this link even has pics of the abandoned mascots left in the overgrown vegetation from Beijing which wasn't that long ago.

http://mashable.com/2016/08/10/abandoned-olympic-venues/#iPhH123V98q4

Some sites from the Turin, Italy olympics have been abandoned too.

This Atlanta stadium was demolished and turned into a parking lot.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »

Because all the elected officials and the IOC skim off the top and get rich. These events are nothing but a grift.

same reasons they build all huge boondoggles.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 08:56:47 pm »
If it were up to me I would split the Olympics up and let cities host individual events.

By next year Detroit will have a brand new Red Wings Arena that could be used for skating events.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 09:03:34 pm »
If it were up to me I would split the Olympics up and let cities host individual events.

By next year Detroit will have a brand new Red Wings Arena that could be used for skating events.

No good reason why the entire DFW area couldn't easily host the games in existing facilities, wouldn't even need new hotels.