Author Topic: The REAL battle for Mosul: Engineers desperately trying to repair dam which is slowly collapsing and will be 'more devastating than a NUCLEAR BOMB' if it falls - Daily Mail  (Read 502 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The REAL battle for Mosul: Engineers desperately trying to repair dam which is slowly collapsing and will be 'more devastating than a NUCLEAR BOMB' if it falls

Governments urged to move quickly to prevent breach of the dam in Iraq
    The dam was built on an unstable foundation that continuously erodes
    Weakened when ISIS seized it briefly in 2014 prompting maintenance lapse
    Fears collapse cold unleash 45ft waves devastating Mosul and flooding Baghdad

By Gareth Davies For Mailonline

Published: 04:06 EST, 13 December 2016 | Updated: 07:46 EST, 13 December 2016

Engineers are desperately trying to repair a dam in Mosul which is slowly collapsing and will be 'more devastating than a nuclear bomb' if it falls.

With the battle to liberate the Iraqi city from Islamic State continuing, an Italian company will have about 18 months to fix the dam's foundations and stop more than 11 trillion litres of water (11.11billion cubic metres) from flooding Mosul.

But experts are warning their work could be in vain, and should the catastrophe happen, it is estimated 1.5million people could be killed by the floods.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4028036/The-REAL-battle-Mosul-Engineers-desperately-trying-repair-dam-slowly-collapsing-devastating-NUCLEAR-BOMB-falls.html#ixzz4SkyKoMzv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If something happens here, TBR readers will be the first to know. Lots of pictures at the story.

There's probably some exaggeration in the headline, I'd think. Other stories on this are out there as well. There is probably some truth to the story.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:57:49 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

There's probably some exaggeration in the headline, I'd think. Other stories on this are out there as well. There is probably some truth to the story.

I think it is not exaggerated.  They've been worried about it and patching it together with stopgaps for more than a dozen years, and it's one of the real reasons for a lot of fighting over the Mosul area, and why the Pesh were so aggressive.

Depending on the failure, this could be very devastating.  I think we should be prepared for it.  Iraqis should be preparing an alternative.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn